Griffin’s Old Virginia Red Barbecue Sauce

I made a batch of this sauce yesterday and used it to glaze a meatloaf I had on the smoker. Best meatloaf ever.

I think this might be my go to sauce recipe from now on. Thanks for sharing!

I bet it made a great glaze! I'm gonna have to try that.

just made some up it is cooling down as i type. ? is it suppose to be on thin side! thanks for posting it,

Made some a couple days ago and tried it on on a smoked pork blade steak. Pretty good sauce. I like the thinner consistency.

Much thanks Boshizzle for this sauce! I made some earlier in the week, and it definitely had a lot of tang to it. Mellowed out very nicely after a few days in the fridge.

Smoked up a boneless shoulder roast that was in the freezer yesterday to try it out. Absolutely perfect compliment to the pork. This is going to become my staple.

Also, if anyone wanted it to be sweet, what about using honey or maple syrup? That would have been around for the old timers (well, maybe not the maple in VA...). But I dont know that it would go with the vinegar so well.

Honey or maple syrup are two good choices. Besides honey, maple syrup was made by Indians in Virginia for centuries and there is still a maple syrup industry in the state. In fact, Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky and even north western North Carolina still produce maple syrup and those that do it have thriving businesses.

Made this the other day and tried it on some leftover ribs last night and all I can say is....AWESOME.

Pretty sure I would like this even on ice cream!

Thanks Boshizzle! Next up....Shack Attack!

Made this the other day and tried it on some leftover ribs last night and all I can say is....AWESOME.

On ice cream? :laugh:

I worked at a BBQ joint while in high school and people would come in and ask for BBQ sauce milk shakes and we'd make them for them. That sauce is a brown sauce but, BBQ sauce and ice cream seems to be something a lot of people like though I don't think I'm one of them. :wink:

I'm thinking a mug of sauce slightly warm with tiny globes of frozen vanilla ice cream...that would be an interesting flavor intersection. At least it doesn't sound any more ridiculous than bubble tea.

I'm thinking a mug of sauce slightly warm with tiny globes of frozen vanilla ice cream...that would be an interesting flavor intersection. At least it doesn't sound any more ridiculous than bubble tea.

:clap2: Try it out for us! Great to see a North Carolinian posting here! VA BBQ and NC BBQ are extremely close kin. Our BBQ roots come from the same source!

That is some tasty stuff. Haven't made it in years. Thanks for the bump.

Nice bump you got there! Can't believe I missed this! I still make the Shack Attack with every butt and picnic I cook! This'll sit very nice on the table next to it. Thanks man!

Back