BBQ Brethren "Feast of the Hobo - Something Cooked from the Can" Throwdown!

I must admit I've been scratching my head over this one. I couldn't really think of anything in a can I wanted to grill or smoke. Luckily, someone I know wanted to make some enchiladas. And oddly enough, we actually had some canned enchilada sauce:

IMG_0808.jpg

I actually have no idea where it came from, since usually such things are made from scratch. In this case, the can supplemented what was being prepared:

IMG_0816.jpg

It's amazing how that one can was transformed into nearly four quarts of sauce. :shock: It just so happened that since some enchiladas were being constructed, there was a decent amount of carne seca that happened to be lying unattended in the kitchen :whistle:

IMG_0810.jpg

And there also were some corn tortillas that were being prepared:

IMG_0815.jpg

So while someone was doing this:

IMG_0822.jpg

and this:

IMG_0821.jpg

I was roasting some Anaheims:

IMG_0814.jpg

and trimming tortillas:

IMG_0813.jpg

Uhhh, ... trimming tortillas? :crazy: Well, that and assembling the ingredients

IMG_0817.jpg

so that I could layer them in a can. :crazy: Yes, a layer of tortilla, then meat and cheese and sauce, then another tortilla, then peppers and cheese, then tortilla, ... well you get the idea. This went into the Oval to cook:

IMG_0818.jpg

I knew that can was going to come in handy. I know that a Hobo probably wouldn't be using a Primo Oval, but I tried to keep as true to the contest as I could. I used parchment paper as this can had a plastic liner inside and I just didn't know how that would cook. I emptied this onto my serving dish, added a touch more sauce, sour cream and cilantro:

IMG_0830.jpg

I served this with a Scottish ale and definitely feasted on something cooked from the can.

OK, to set the mood, click on this link, turn up your volume and come right back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF5OtSO3j6I&feature=related

Great! I tried to be as true to this contest as I could. I took "feast of the hobo" to heart and was all set to go dumpster diving, but then figured I could at least look for some cans of things from the pantry. Well, there were some garbanzos that I could easily imagine being the basis for a hobo's feast:

IMG_0809.jpg

To this, I added a few scraps of meat. Of course I also added some garlic and onions.

IMG_0882.jpg

To be as authentic as possible, I built a fire in the firepit for cooking purposes. Now in actuality I simmered these in a pot for several hours as this was going to be dinner for the family and I just couldn't fit everything back in that can, but I thought it would be nice to do a single serving in a can as a hobo might do:

IMG_0853.jpg

A feast is not a feast without some bread. So I made up a couple loaves. The first was a white wheat loaf:

IMG_0820.jpg

I cooked this in My Oval. I just couldn't see this tasting good being cooked on an open fire, unless you like burnt bottoms and raw insides. The unique shape is due to the fact that the rack was a little too high or the loaf a little too tall.

IMG_0823.jpg

The second was an Irish soda bread.

IMG_0843.jpg

I served this up with something tasty to keep a hobo warm on a cold winter night. Here you can see the whole meal:

IMG_0876.jpg

and here's a nicer shot of what's in that can

IMG_0874-1-1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Hobo Pork Ribs (Alton Brown Style) with Hobo Noodles

Right...

Scared you with this photo I think... even though I got no comments... farkers...
DSC_0006_1548.jpg

but nothing I've seen so far was even close to the experience of opening that can...
DSC_0010_1550.jpg

Fark me... it stunk like a cheap can of sloppy cat food..:scared::puke:

DSC_0009_1549.jpg

Now, having taking these ribs out of the can, I realised these were already "fall off the bone tender"... Here they are on a plate.
DSC_0011_1551.jpg

What to do.:confused: These things are never gonna survive 2 minutes on my offset.

Solution... farking hot and farkin fast....

SO I lit the chimney...
DSC_0015_1552.jpg

And once to coals were OK, places a SS grate over the top...

And like Alton with his perfect Steak, Nuked the Pork Ribs...

DSC_0018_1554.jpg

DSC_0022_1555.jpg

DSC_0023_1556.jpg

Then while the pork was "resting", I figured Alton farkin' Brown never did cheap arse Hobo Noodles on HIS Charcoal Chimney!!!:heh::heh::heh:

DSC_0025_1557.jpg

DSC_0026_1558.jpg

DSC_0037_1559.jpg

So, now to the plating... I kept to the simple Asian theme here. Chinese ribs, on noodles in a bowl... farkin winner... even for a hobo.... a hobo never ate so good (Plating SHot Below Chris with the Metho for effect!)

DSC_0038_1560.jpg

A close-up...
DSC_0042_1561.jpg

Now, here's where it gets interesting.

Never explained this to the wife.:shocked:

Nope:shock:

Just cooked it and served it...:shock:

Said NOTHIN! :shocked::shocked::shocked:

Then... because it was the next door neighbours wifes 46th birthday celebration today.... laid it on the table.... and Farked off:cool:...

Hey babe.. here's something for you... see you over there later...:cool::cool::cool:

I get back at 9:30pm... quite Smashed:cool:

Wife's in bed asleep.... took this photo!

DSC_0044_1563.jpg

Sorry, no photo's of the wife in bed... that's my business. :cool:

But what you see here is an eaten Hobo Dinner... from the farkin Can!

Plus... a little ingenuity:thumb:

Cheers Farkers!

Bill

Bill, don't take our lack of comments personally. I was going by the rule that if you ignore it, then (hopefully) it will go away. That didn't happen. What you did with that was great. From your last picture it looks like the meat was much better than the noodles. Maybe you should get those from a can next time. :thumb:

Beggars Banquet

Well, there's them days, and there's them good days. This un was a good day. We had really been lucky at the grocery store and was fixin' to eat right nice. Tiny, my friend and bizniss partner for over 6 years, hit the A & P, I hit the Piggly Wiggly. Tiny found a couple of cans of pertaters, and a can of milk. And no dents either! At the pig, I found a half a loaf of Wonder bread and a can of roast beef and gravy! We was a gonna eat good.

See here all the good stuff we got. We's gonna make us open face roast beef sandwiches with mash pertaters n' gravy. All we got to mash them pertaters with is an old see-ment trowel. Now, we did used to have a knife, but Tiny lost it a few weeks back when he got thowed in jail. They thowed him in jail cuz he was standing outside this here store and didn't have no money. Imagine that now. They put him in jail for 2 days, fed him right, and then let him out. He still didn't have no money. I thought I'd try it. I stood by the very same store for 3 whole days. The police passed me a bunch of times and even waved. I wave back, kinda telling them I didn't have no money, but it never worked. Hard ta figger.
hgoods.jpg

We cooked all are stuff on this here stove that we made out of an old gallon bean can.
hstove.jpg

That see-ment trowel didn't mash too good, sort of more chopped than mashed. Tiny kept sayin' they wuz rustic. He said it was nouveau, whatever that there is.
hmash.jpg

Well, this here is are banquet! Please use this un for the entry. Tiny got them forks at something called a deli, along with them wet washing rags, pretty nice, huh! We surely have enjoyed visiting but we gots to eat fast cuz we got to catch the 2:18 outta here. Tiny thinks that there is some kinda prize. I keep a telling him there ain't, but ifn' there is we'll be sure ta get ya the proper Western Union when we gits settled in. Thanks fer lookin' and ya'll take care.
hplate.jpg

Last edited:
I have a couple days to create my masterpiece.

Probably be my first and last throwdown entry but I am planning on giving it my best shot.:thumb:

Current wind chill is 9 degrees, windy outside.

I will pass on this throwdown as I half way feel like I am coming down with a cold. :roll:
Good luck with all the fine creative dishes that have been entered so far.

Hobo Game Watching Party

So a couple of hobos from the neighborhood came over to the house this afternoon to watch the game. They brought the following with them.

DSC_0148.jpg

They wanted to watch the game so I thought we would try to make seven layer dip out of the various canned oddities at my disposal.

Layed down a layer of refried beans for underpinning.

DSC_0150.jpg

Then went for the ballpark style nacho cheese (I always wondered where that stuff came from)

DSC_0151-1.jpg

DSC_0152.jpg

I browned some ground meat and mixed it with the sloppy joe sauce and put it down next. Ro-tel tomatoes with green chiles went on top of that.

DSC_0153.jpg

DSC_0154.jpg

I popped it in the mini-WSM for about 50m on 250ish just to get everything working together (my version of cooking in the can).

DSC_0155.jpg

Once it cooled a bit, I went over the ro-tel with some guacamole

DSC_0157-1.jpg

And finished it with sour cream mixed with taco seasoning.

DSC_0158.jpg

My wife loaned us some sprinkly mexican cheese and some chips and we were off to watch the ball game. I need a bigger couch with all these cats at my house.

Here's spoonful number one and my throwdown picture.

DSC_0165.jpg

Enjoy! We did.

Great throw down Very creative I found myself laughing at a lot of those shots. Bill those ribs were nasty Hope the did not smell as bad as they looked

"Something Cooked from the Can" it says. The "Can"! THE Can. Who can? I can.

So I knew i was going to make Blackened Indian Tilapia, so my first thought was to set the Coleman up in the "can" and cook away. Well, I get the Coleman out and begin to have second thoughts. Although brevity is on my mind, and the idea of fauxing a cook setup in the john for laughs has me chuckling to myself I'm not too sure every one of you will take the yuck for a yuck without actually considering the concept as having merit.

I mean someone actually made a mug out of bacon, so cooking over open flame in an enclosed space doesn't sound like too much of a stretch so I canceled that plan, fun as it sounded.

Besides, "Do not use while sleeping" is actually printed on the outside of the fuel canister; which means, you KNOW someone actually did do that. I mean really, who cooks while sleeping?

Hobo's do, or would, I bet, if they had a Coleman stove.

Anyhow, I needed a can of Talapia. Easy enough, I consulted the Brethren Shelves, stuff you farkers leave alone and gets pushed back into the darkened corners, and lo and behold, way in the back a can, plain, like a paupers can, but well made, adorned with nothing, but simple words....."Tilapia in a can.......Yummmmmmmm". Brethren brand even.

101_0629.jpg

I took this one after I opened the can and pulled them out. For informational purposes; canned Tilapia does not go back into the can like it was when un-canned. Some space, time continuum crap only Steven Hawking knows about. Betcha he hasn't had canned Tilapia, so there's one thing we have on Steven Hawking.

101_0631.jpg

Who knew?

"He chose wisely." echoed in the furthest alcoves of my brain.

The can opened easily enough, spilling forth its bounty with equal speed. If you haven't seen it before, canned Tilapia is as fresh as fresh tilapia. Trust me. (I took photos to prove it.) Something to do with flash freezing ultra recalcitrant concentric vacuum despongification pumping during the canning process. Fine fish indeed. Fine process too. Google it. (Be sure to use the proper key words)

Well now that I had my fish, I went into cook mode.

Home made Garam Masala, add some Greek Seasoning and Fresh Mortar and Pestled Pepper, cracked that is, Capsicum Tea. (No ooze)

Dry off the filets, Extra Virgin olive Oil, and liberal application of seasoning on both sides. Let stand for 20 - 30 minutes. Sliced Zucchini, olive oil and cracked pepper. Made up some Cornbread mix to have me some fish cakes. Not Talapia. I never said this wouldn't get confusing. I made canned fish and corn fish and zucchini.

Here's the Mise en place

101_0632.jpg

Get the smoker up to 375 and stable. Skillet and Corn bread mould on its way to perfection. FWIW I got 5 cornbread moulds in a can too, but I didn't take photos. Sorry, I was too excited un-canning them to remember.

I don't want to hear anything from you "No photos, it didn't happen" farkers. Read the Poobah's missive. No I'm not linking it for you lazy farks. Look it up!

I digress. I started with the cornbread. As I've said I was excited about them. What? fish shaped corn? corn flavored fish? Flavored fish corn? Fish shaped flavors? Man....You can taste the electricity even contemplating the permutations. No? Well, I can. I can indeed. (But not Tilapia, I don't have the highly specialized equipment, nor the pumps)

101_0633.jpg

Hot stuff, first batch on and the skillets HOT. Maybe I need a blinking sign above my smokers? "HOT NOW". Na, it's been done.

They puff up don't they?

101_0635.jpg

101_0644.jpg

These are indeed tasty, but not fishy.

Then I threw the Zucchini on and got to the business of cooking the Tilapia.

101_0637.jpg

A little close with one side done. Pretty flavo-flave lookin, huh.

101_0641.jpg

Finally, there's the plated meal. A delicious, entirely canned extravaganza.

101_0647.jpg

Note: No hobo's were consulted during this process, so some technical oversights and omissions of understanding may have occurred. Any confusion or obfuscation on the part of the author or assumed by the reader are purely side-effects of the readers incapacity or fish identification inabilities. All I can say is read, read, read. Books on canning might help.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

The BBQQB

Dang, I wanted to do some canned steak just for Landarc, but couldn't find any. I didn't think to check the BBQ Brethren brand. I know they have canned ribeyes! Wish I thought of that last week when I could've mail ordered some. It's too late now. Nice post and lots of laughs. That tilapia looks great and love those puffer fish.

Back