Minion Method Help please

G

Gust91

I haven't been smoking meat for long, so I still have a lot to learn, but every time I've tried using the Minion Method so I can leave my meat alone for a while, my smoker ends up being 300 degrees+. I have a chargriller duo with an offset smoker. I usually use Kingsford competition charcoal briquettes, but today I used some of their standard charcoal briquettes and the same thing happened. I stack about 9 pounds (half of a bag) of the briquettes in my offset smoker, and leave a small dip in the middle where I place 12-15 fully light briquettes. I would REALLY appreciate any advice from anyone, thanks!

Try adding less lit charcoal and make sure to damper down the smoker before it gets to temp.

Try about 8 briqs. That works for me. What's wrong with 300 degrees?

Try about 8 briqs. That works for me. What's wrong with 300 degrees?

You are correct on the 8 brigs Boy Wonder.

What's wrong with 300 degrees you ask? IT'S NOT 225 DEGREES!

Seems like you have the same trouble I have with my CG. Check the fit on the ash drawer. You may have to make a gasket w/ foil. Fold up a piece long enough to go around the edge, and close the drawer tight. Close the intake completely. Close the exhaust 1/3. Pile up the charcoal, leave a little room on the end instead of the middle to put your 8 lit coals. Give that a try. you might think about making a basket.

Seems like you have the same trouble I have with my CG. Check the fit on the ash drawer. You may have to make a gasket w/ foil. Fold up a piece long enough to go around the edge, and close the drawer tight. Close the intake completely. Close the exhaust 1/3. Pile up the charcoal, leave a little room on the end instead of the middle to put your 8 lit coals. Give that a try. you might think about making a basket.

Thanks, that sounds pretty helpful especially since we both have CG, I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.

Yeah definitely agree with nolaman, keep in mind the air control on stock CG's is akin to a sieve. You could fully close the intake vent and still burn.

Make sure all the little holes are plugged and either get some oven rope (fireproof gasket material) or use the crushed tinfoil.

Second of all: don't dump your lit coals in the midddle, try experimenting with putting them on either side. Some people have good success putting the lit coals to the left of the unlit (on the main chamber side) and others have success putting the lit to the right (next to the intake). Keep in mind air flow on the latter will draw across from the lit to the unlit coals and you may want to use less lit coals in that method.

Bottom line: you're going to use more charcoal on a CG than a UDS or other sealed smoker.

Also: how are you taking temperature readings and do you have a baffle in the main chamber running under the cast iron grates?

I agree with what has been said. On my UDS I had this problem. I have since cut my air back a lot a now its good to go. I also had to close the intake quite a bit as it draws a little from that I think.

Once you add lit charcoal close intake let temp come up slowly. NEVER use exhaust to control temp.

Definately leave your exhaust wide open! Might try a little less lit charcoal and adjust with your intake before the temp hits your target temp. Keep us posted bro!

got a chargriller and Im proud to say I finally mastered the temp at the end of the time I was using it regular. First off, The fit between the firebox and main chamber is terrible. I used some high temp stove caulking to seal it. Next, everything else on the whole smoker will still leak, you just have to accept this. The ash pan drawer on the firebox will get hot and it will expand and not seal. If you notice it fits pretty good cold, let that dude get hot and you will have a gap. The whole main chamber leaks around all the sides. My method was this..first I build a charcoal basket. Made it out of expanded metal. Believe it was like 12x12x8 or so? Next I flip the charcoal pan over so the grates are facing down. I usually hung it to where the top of the arch was just covering the top of the firebox opening. This will help act as a baffle so all your hot air gets distributed more evenly. I sometimes put some foil in the gap between the upside down pan and the firebox but found that the side opposite would get much hotter. (i have dual thermos on mine). Usually I just left it hanging with no foil. I also would put foil all around the outside lip of the main chamber to help with the air leaks..it will still leak just not as bad. My method was to fill my basket darn near plumb full with unlit and throw a whole chimney of lit on the side CLOSEST to the cooking chamber. If you put it closest to the air intake it will stoke it more and get hotter. I usually ran my vent about 1/4. Im talking I would just barely tap it with my spatula so where there was a sliver of opening. The damn thing leaks so bad its like you have it half open. This would run 250 for about 4-5 hours before I would have to refuel or add chunks. These things eat fuel, thats just how they are. Sorry this was so long

matt

EDIT..i know you will read all about the chimney extensions to where you bring the stack down the the exhaust. I cant say if it helps or not. I had one on mine, but I also ran it without it a few times and never really noticed a difference. The only thing I do know is it would sometimes hit whatever I had on the grill. Due to this I would take it off because I needed the space where it was sticking down. Most of the time I left it on just because I had no reason to take it off. If you want to try a super simple way to do it, go buy one of those BIG monster or energy drinks, cant remember which one. It was called like the BFC (big F/n can) or something like that. Its like a 30 oz can. Cut the ends off of it and it slides right over the exhaust stack. I used to hose clamps to cinch it down.

Char griller Duo

I have the char Griller Duo and can say if you do the mods turning the grate upside down, extend the stack down to grate level and add a basket for more charcoal you will have a very good smoker. Not the perfect competion smoker but a very good smoker with an excellent gas grill

I have a CG offset and have never been able to use the Minion method. It is just not tight enough. You can close the intake all the way and it will still sit at 300 degrees and the charcoal burns up in no time. I finally built a UDS and now only use the CG for grilling. I suppose you could work on it and get it more airtight if you wanted to.

Back