My family put their foot down!

mph33

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Every big get-together, I get nervous the night before because I want to make sure that my cook comes out great. My family had a little get-together today and told me flat out that they don't want me staying up all night cooking food and then being tired during the party the next day. I do this stupid crap every time. As some of you know I had the pitmaster IQ 110 temperature control. That thing crapped out on me on the second use. Tomorrow I'm going to have my fiance head up to Alpharetta Georgia to pick up an Auber PID. I have no experience with them but people here tend to like it. They also have a July 4th sale going on.

That being said... I'm going to be cooking a 17 lb brisket and 4 racks of St Louis ribs. I have never done an overnight cook with brisket. I've done it with pork shoulders. When I smoke brisket I'm spraying it with water every hour. Is it normal for people to do overnight briskets without having to get up and spray the meat down?

I have a WSM 22 I will be using B&B briquettes with Post oak chunks.

In a WSM you would be letting a lot of heat out opening the lid every hour. I know everyone has their own method, but I don't squirt anything on my meat until I'm at least two, three hours into the cook or after my bark has set. The only reason I spritz later is to prevent my bark from drying out too much. I think you should be able to get some sleep without doing any harm. Good Luck!

I only spritz the edges if/when they look like they are cooking too fast. Even then, I don’t do it all the time. I only even think about it, if I’m cooking hot and fast; if I’m cooking low and slow, I don’t spray at all.

Do you use the water pan? If so, do you use it with water, or dry?

I only spritz the edges if/when they look like they are cooking too fast. Even then, I don’t do it all the time. I only even think about it, if I’m cooking hot and fast; if I’m cooking low and slow, I don’t spray at all.

Do you use the water pan? If so, do you use it with water, or dry?

I use the water pan but I don't fill it full of water. I just ordered a heat diffuser pan which I highly doubt will be here on time for the 4th.

I would suggest using the Harry Soo WSM stickburner method to cook that rascal.

How about I use your bones as a source of fuel for the WSM? I'm sure it would work much better then petrified Post oak. I would only be concerned about tainting the meat with your foulness.

I use the water pan but I don't fill it full of water. I just ordered a heat diffuser pan which I highly doubt will be here on time for the 4th.

Then I don’t think you actually need to worry about spritzing. Plus, your bark will thank you.

All I have is a Party Q on my WSM and have done maybe 10 overnight brisket smokes. Perfect every time as I don't wrap.

2dgnlQu.jpg

wyZEiFY.jpg

9Wjo76s.jpg

Have a full ring of charcoal and sleep well.

On a side note. Did you send your Pitmaster IQ back? If so were you refunded? Sucks that you could not get even two cooks out of it.

All I have is a Party Q on my WSM and have done maybe 10 overnight brisket smokes. Perfect every time as I don't wrap.

2dgnlQu.jpg

wyZEiFY.jpg

9Wjo76s.jpg

Have a full ring of charcoal and sleep well.

That brisket looks solid. My first brisket on the WSM I done it Texas style using nothing but coarse black pepper kosher salt a little garlic and a little celery seed. The BARk came out like yours in that picture.

On a side note. Did you send your Pitmaster IQ back? If so were you refunded? Sucks that you could not get even two cooks out of it.

I got a refund but what pissed me off was they charged me a restocking fee and I had to pay to ship it back. The sad thing is this, I was thinking I just got a dud and was hoping they were just going to exchange it. They never emailed or call me back to see if we could do some troubleshooting they just issued a refund. I will never buy another product from them again. I thought how they handled that was very poorly.

Hey that's rude bro! My bones are probably pretty good.

Yes, you have posted some good bones I would eat, some people just need to be blocked... Nothing like starting a thread and attacking people who contribute... :mmph:
Thanks,
Greg

Yes, you have posted some good bones I would eat, some people just need to be blocked... Nothing like starting a thread and attacking people who contribute... :mmph:
Thanks,
Greg

He hasn't contributed or cooked better meat than me. I've been cooking on and off for 16 years and most of the contributors on this forum are not on my level at all. I'm certified by cordon bleu and all of this is nothing more than a hobby for me. I don't try to profit from this at all. What I won't tolerate is someone going out of their way to be a smartass. I'm the type of man that if you have a problem with me I will have my secretary set up all traveling expenses free of charge just to prove a point.

So here we are.. If you think your a better cook than me and you specifically have it out to prove that you know more and that you're a better pitmaster... I will have my secretary set everything up to where you don't have to do anything but pack a bag and get to your local airport. yes, I'm that confident. So if anybody here thinks that they can out-cook me let's see who's the best. Until then, STFU

He hasn't contributed or cooked better meat than me. I've been cooking on and off for 16 years and most of the contributors on this forum are not on my level at all. I'm certified by cordon bleu and all of this is nothing more than a hobby for me. I don't try to profit from this at all. What I won't tolerate is someone going out of their way to be a smartass. I'm the type of man that if you have a problem with me I will have my secretary set up all traveling expenses free of charge just to prove a point.

So here we are.. If you think your a better cook than me and you specifically have it out to prove that you know more and that you're a better pitmaster... I will have my secretary set everything up to where you don't have to do anything but pack a bag and get to your local airport. yes, I'm that confident. So if anybody here thinks that they can out-cook me let's see who's the best. Until then, STFU

You should come join us in a brethren throwdown, we can always use more submissions :thumb:

Oh my! Certified by the Cordon bleu! Well! I guess you do know more than the rest of us. Why are you asking for advice then?

Why don’t you “STFU” as you so kindly say. Weren’t you the one just a few months ago wondering how to cook on a WSM?

The comment about the Soo method didn’t deserve that reply at all. He was being helpful.

And finally, remember, you just might not be the only one here with a “certificate” in culinary arts. What, did you take one class or something? Some of us actually have degrees in Culinary Arts.

It could definitely ratchet up some- but what would be the end result? Chests will be beaten, feelings dinged- then we are all friends again and pop a beer.

We *could* just go right to beer. :grin:

Back