MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-20-2020, 04:47 PM   #9901
johnnylightnin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk41 View Post
Hey there,

Looking into getting a PBJ as my first foray into "live fire" cooking. I'm short on space living in the city with a miniscule "yard" but I make it work.

I like the idea of the pit barrel because it is a little different and seems to be the most set and forget type of live fire cooker with the smallest learning curve. And it has the junior.

This thread has already been valuable for me, but if you had to describe what you love the most about the pit barrel vs a standard Weber, WSM, or even Oklahoma Joe, what would it be?

It’s easier than my WSM and I think the food tastes better. Capacity is another huge plus as far as ribs go.

I don’t think you’ll regret getting a PBC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-20-2020, 05:17 PM   #9902
Dirk41
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I've always been enamored with hanging cookers since so many cultures around the world do it. Is there anything outside of ribs that the PBC does the absolute best job with?
Dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2020, 05:37 PM   #9903
Doug S.
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I've always been enamored with hanging cookers since so many cultures around the world do it. Is there anything outside of ribs that the PBC does the absolute best job with?
Chicken is outstanding !!!!
18.5" OTS Bud Light Weber Kettle
Weber Performer W/ Rotisserie
Weber Smokey Joe
Mastertouch 40" SS Electric Smoker
Doug S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-20-2020, 06:24 PM   #9904
Greygoose
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Don

This ^
Greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2020, 09:29 AM   #9905
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Hey there,

Looking into getting a PBJ as my first foray into "live fire" cooking. I'm short on space living in the city with a miniscule "yard" but I make it work.
I think you will be pleased. I would consider the regular PBC. It does not take up much more real estate and has a lot more room. The Junior is great for throwing in the truck for camping or tailgates. Even on small cooks I like the PBC, its easier to move stuff around and you can always throw in some sides to use the extra room.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2020, 07:31 AM   #9906
Dirk41
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Also, what are the absolute essential accessories from the company? Hearing mixed things on the ash pan and prefer different gloves. The hanging rack looks necessary.
Dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2020, 09:14 AM   #9907
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Also, what are the absolute essential accessories from the company? Hearing mixed things on the ash pan and prefer different gloves. The hanging rack looks necessary.
I think the ash pan works fine, but I don't use it much. I dump my basked into the bottom of the barrel and then just dump the barrel into my ash can. Never used had/used the gloves before.

Old 06-27-2020, 04:17 PM   #9908
PUNKem733
On the road to being a farker

Anyone hear anything new about their 55 gallon drum? They announced it like 7 months ago.
PUNKem733 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2020, 04:21 PM   #9909
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUNKem733 View Post
Anyone hear anything new about their 55 gallon drum? They announced it like 7 months ago.
Last I heard was hopefully Holiday Season 2020.

Old 06-29-2020, 03:27 PM   #9910
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Craigslist PBC for $99 if you're near the Northshore/Merrimack Valley area of Massachusetts/Southern New Hampshire. I'd jump on this but I don't think my wife would be very happy.

https://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/ap...146861673.html

Old 06-29-2020, 10:01 PM   #9911
Bacchus2b
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Ash pan makes cleanup 100% easier and should be part of the package.
Cookshack FEC-100
Weber Summit 420 Gasser
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26" Kettle
PK Classic Grill
Bacchus2b is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2020, 03:13 PM   #9912
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Quote:
Ash pan, hinged grate, and small charcoal chimney are must haves.

As for what you can cook, the PBC half chickens are amazing. Turkeys are also great. I've been doing big 15-17lb briskets just sitting on the grate lately and they have come out magical. I stopped hanging them awhile back and used different smokers because of the proximity to the coals. Once I started doing it this way it's been my go to single brisket smoker. I smoke bacon on it too. Really anything is good on it

Old 07-02-2020, 06:02 AM   #9913
Goose52
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Mark
Default Idle question

i was reading a recent thread where a member used a big poppa kit to make his own UDS which turned out fantastic. it got me to wondering if drums from different manufacturers have different flavor profiles on the meat they produce? i'm kind of guessing that meat produced on different pellet grills basically taste the same if all other factors (pellet type, rub, temp, time etc) are equal. is that true with different drums?
just wondering, mark
Goose52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2020, 12:08 PM   #9914
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

I just picked up some bone in short ribs cut about 4" long English style. Any round estimates how long these will take?

Old 07-03-2020, 11:25 AM   #9915
AJgoal
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : AJ

Just got one Wednesday, it's my first dedicated smoker. Up til now I've been using my Brinkman grill to smoke. Going to try some ribs tonight to work on getting it dialed in, then a shoulder tomorrow and some smoked queso. Loved reading through this thread, made me very comfortable about pulling the trigger.
AJgoal is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it