MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:56 PM   #1
jtfisher63
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Minion method on a large offset?

Hey guys, I had a charcoal basket built for my 24 x 72 offset. The firebox is 24 x 24 and the basket is 19 x 19 x 6. I will be firing it up this saturday for the first time with the basket. My question is, do you think the minion method would work in this application? I would just try it to see, but I will have to light the coals and then leave for work. My wife will be the pit master for about 2-3 hours until my buddy comes over to help. My wife is pretty good with fire controls, but I just don't want to have 20lbs of rancher light up too quick and then her not be able to keep the temps down. I have a comp coming up next weekend so I kind of want to try to get this working before then so I can get some sleep. So, have any of you tried this or think it will work. Thanks in advance.

Jason
Large Big Green Egg
Stumps clone
WSM
Char-something Gasser
Modesto, CA
jtfisher63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2007, 01:22 PM   #2
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

It might work.
I use the Minion on my Cimarron, but it's smaller that yours.
I guess if you have enough lit to start, it'll get it up to temp.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2007, 02:18 PM   #3
ushi
Knows what a fatty is.

I've had mixed results. When I put the lit charcoal in the center, it likes to light into a towering inferno pretty quickly. I had better results placing lit charcoal on one side of the pile, and having it light in a more linear fashion.
ushi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2007, 02:37 PM   #4
Markbb
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Minon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ushi View Post
I've had mixed results. When I put the lit charcoal in the center, it likes to light into a towering inferno pretty quickly. I had better results placing lit charcoal on one side of the pile, and having it light in a more linear fashion.
I also do this in my log burner,but once its lit I just feed a log now and again and done!!
Markbb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2007, 03:03 PM   #5
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

You will need to light it early and then find out where it settles in at before you know if it will spike or not. I know with the drum smokers, there will be a spot where the temp holds real nice. Then again, that depends on where you set your vents, perhaps halfway open or open just a bit. It will definitely be wise to find that spot before you begin to cook. Let us know how it goes.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2007, 03:21 PM   #6
big blue bbq
Take a breath!

I use the minion like Ushi said. I have the much smaller brinkman smoke n pit. It works for about 5 hours.

WSM 22.5"
WSM 18"
Traeger 075
Weber one touch gold (blue of course!)
Jack's old south cooker:-P
big blue bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2007, 03:25 PM   #7
jtfisher63
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm not sure if I'm gonna try it Saturday or not yet. I guess I could try it on Sunday if I'm in the mood to mess around with it again on Sunday. If I do try it I think I'll fill the basket up with unlit charcoal and add about 1/2 a chimney full of lit charcoal on top near the chamber sideof the firebox. Does this make sense? My theory is that the draft going towards the chamber will prevent it from lighting the rest of the charcoal too quick. I'll keep you guys posted.

Jason
Large Big Green Egg
Stumps clone
WSM
Char-something Gasser
Modesto, CA

Old 08-09-2007, 03:31 PM   #8
jsimonson0
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfisher63 View Post
Hey guys, I had a charcoal basket built for my 24 x 72 offset. The firebox is 24 x 24 and the basket is 19 x 19 x 6. I will be firing it up this saturday for the first time with the basket. My question is, do you think the minion method would work in this application? I would just try it to see, but I will have to light the coals and then leave for work. My wife will be the pit master for about 2-3 hours until my buddy comes over to help. My wife is pretty good with fire controls, but I just don't want to have 20lbs of rancher light up too quick and then her not be able to keep the temps down. I have a comp coming up next weekend so I kind of want to try to get this working before then so I can get some sleep. So, have any of you tried this or think it will work. Thanks in advance.

Jason
I've gotten decent burn times with minion in the SKD, only having to add fuel every 60-90 minutes instead of every 30-45. This was with lump in a decent basket, not on the crap "tray" they include in the box. At least there's much less ash with lump!

Old 08-09-2007, 03:34 PM   #9
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

One thing I have definitely noticed is that Rancher does not burn as hot as the bigger name brand briquettes. That is a plus for the long low and slow cooks. There is a lot more ash though. I have been using it in my Stumps and have definitely been satisfied.

Hibachi Grill
ECB that wins the $
#3 Komono
55 gallon Drum Smoker

Old 08-09-2007, 03:49 PM   #10
Grillman40
Full Fledged Farker

Your problem may be getting that monsta up to temp in the first place. I have tried in the lang and just gave up and now I just start blasting right from the start.

Which in turn leads me to the never ending refuel every hour....

But if you figure it out...please share

Lang 84 Deluxe w/drum grill addition
WSM
Bar-B-Chef Grill
Stainless Bar-B-Chef built in
Stainless Gran Turbo Gasser built in
86 Gal Monster Drum in da works

Retired U.S. Marine
Grillman40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2007, 04:01 PM   #11
jtfisher63
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillman40 View Post
Your problem may be getting that monsta up to temp in the first place. I have tried in the lang and just gave up and now I just start blasting right from the start.

Which in turn leads me to the never ending refuel every hour....

But if you figure it out...please share
Mine seems to come up to temp quick. I have been using the propane log lighter to light about a half of a bag of rancher. I flame it until the charcoal is about half grayed over and turn the propane off. I'm not sure if the flames from the propane are kind of preheating the chamber or what. It usually takes about 5-10 minutes with the log lighter going to get the charcoal going. Another 5-10 minutes and the chamber is at 225* or so. The half a bag of charcoal only last about 2 hours until I need to start feeding the pig which is about every 30 minutes to an hour.

Jason
Large Big Green Egg
Stumps clone
WSM
Char-something Gasser
Modesto, CA

Old 08-09-2007, 04:10 PM   #12
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

depends on your airflow. i wouldnt walk away until u were sure that your wernt going to ignite the whole basket. when u dump the lit stuff on top, shut down your dampers and see if temps continue to rise, if not, open them up a little at a time until u get control of the rate of drop/climb. It will take some tweakig the first few times.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2007, 04:21 PM   #13
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

Yup, you gotta experiment, shouldn't take but a few hours to figure it out.

Hibachi Grill
ECB that wins the $
#3 Komono
55 gallon Drum Smoker