MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:28 PM   #1
DoctorCueNC
On the road to being a farker

Default Rib Appearance Feedback

I just smoked my first rack for competition practice of st louis style spare ribs. This was my first try and I didn't have a box to put them in as they were on a plate for dinner 30secs after the picture was taken. I would appreciate any feedback if you see fit and I thank you all for any help. The pics are of the rack, one bone from the top, one bone from the top with a second glaze, and one bone from the side. I was curious if it looked like I cut them correctly and if the rib bone I cut would be a good representation of what I should put in the box. Again thanks for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7462.jpg (32.2 KB, 316 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7460.JPG (159.3 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7461.JPG (147.4 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7459.JPG (167.1 KB, 318 views)

Old 05-08-2015, 09:59 PM   #2
Captain Porkard
Knows what a fatty is.

They look good! The only thing I could say is that in the 3rd pic it looks a little too saucy. But the one above looks better!!
Captain Porkard is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-08-2015, 11:01 PM   #3
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

They look very dark. And also look like they have grill marks.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-08-2015, 11:55 PM   #4
hedge
Full Fledged Farker

looks way too dark. maybe the sauce burned a little bit?
hedge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2015, 12:44 AM   #5
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Cameras and flash sometimes make things look darker than they really are. Still these guys are right about the color. comp Q doesn't have tend yo be as mahogany as regular Q

Old 05-09-2015, 12:49 AM   #6
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

My guess is it looks like the rub is burnt try foiling sooner. It fixed my problem. Like maybe take it and foil it one hour sooner and see how much lighter it is.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2015, 01:08 AM   #7
DeanC
Full Fledged Farker

They look great, good job.
DeanC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2015, 06:17 AM   #8
DoctorCueNC

Thanks everyone. I used a 3-1.5-1 cook time and did overcook it. I used 50-50 BH/BHTR sauce in the last 10 min of cook. I was running at 250 too so I think next time I'm going with 2-1-1 and running closer to 225 for the same size/weight ribs.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:49 AM   #9
Joe Black
Babbling Farker

From a SCBA Senior Judge, I think they look pretty good. The first one was a little too wet and as others have said they are a little dark. From the side view, what kind of knife did you use? It looks ragged. For ribs, if you don't have a really sharp slicing knife, an electric knife will work good until you can get one. Use a brush and some thinned sauce to wipe the sides as you put them in the box.

Aside from the comp scene, those are some great looking ribs. I'll eat them any time. Good luck, Joe
Joe Black is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2015, 08:01 AM   #10
GrillBillie_D
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorCueNC View Post
Thanks everyone. I used a 3-1.5-1 cook time and did overcook it. I used 50-50 BH/BHTR sauce in the last 10 min of cook. I was running at 250 too so I think next time I'm going with 2-1-1 and running closer to 225 for the same size/weight ribs.
That sounds like your cutting off too much time AND lowering the temp. You started at 5.5 hours at 250 and are thinking of trying 4 hours at 225. That's a pretty big change. I would suggest trying the same time your started with but lowering temp to 225. After you see the results, you can adjust times if needed.

They look pretty good from here. The second rib you cut with extra glaze looks to be cut perfectly. Maybe a bit too much sauce but it looks yummy!!
GrillBillie_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-10-2015, 10:03 AM   #11
sgm2004
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillBillie_D View Post
That sounds like your cutting off too much time AND lowering the temp. You started at 5.5 hours at 250 and are thinking of trying 4 hours at 225. That's a pretty big change. I would suggest trying the same time your started with but lowering temp to 225. After you see the results, you can adjust times if needed.

They look pretty good from here. The second rib you cut with extra glaze looks to be cut perfectly. Maybe a bit too much sauce but it looks yummy!!
DoctorCueNC

I agree with GrillBille D on the cook times & temp. On the sauce, have you concidered cutting the sauce with apple juice or rib juice from you cook? Thining it down a little bit giving a lighter sauce making texture smother. They look great and I like thick sauce on my home cooks wouldn't mind one of your ribs right now to taste. But at a KCBS event there would be comments at the table on too much sauce. Keep cooking and best of luck. Just my 2 cents.

Guy
CBJ #70550
Meadow Creek T120
2 EA Smoken Pits
sgm2004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2015, 06:01 PM   #12
DoctorCueNC

Thanks again. I will try thinning down more with some apple juice. The reason the one looked a little ragged was it was overlooked and falling apart which made for some interesting slicing. Good for eating, not for competition.

Tags
appearance, Competition, feedback, glaze, ribs