Wings Between Typhoons

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Happy Sunday, folks! As some of you saw, we just dodged one typhoon on Saturday... and the next one is lined-up to pay us a visit somewhere around mid-week.

What better time to break out some bird and watch some NFL Rewind!? (The timezone thing just kills our ability to watch live football unless we get up at 0200).

- I had to hit a couple of different local grocery stores, but I finally found some good local chicken. These wings are bigger than the frozen variety available in the commissary, and not nearly so fatty like we found in the UK.
854466c4-d47d-4801-9615-21985068dec4_zps3a11116f.jpg

- I threw the wings in a big Ziploc bag with some of our wings dry rub (mainly SPOG with Paprika and Cayenne for color and heat) with a few tosses to distribute that before a good 1-2 hours in the 'fridge.
IMG_0850_zpsf85448cc.jpg

- I fired up my gas smoker (I know... part of me really misses my old offset stick burner from England) with some hickory and let her ease on up towards 300-325F before introducing the wings to the sauna.
IMG_0851_zpsc45b71f6.jpg

- A turn/flip at around 30 minutes with a little maneuvering of the bigger pieces lower towards the heat allowed the smoke to permeate the meat and yet some nice crunchy bits to form with the higher heat. Total time in the smoker was around 50-55 minutes.
IMG_0857_zps3defd61c.jpg

- A quick toss in some of my own "Linda's American Buffalo Sauce" (I'm a big fan of Texas Pete Wing Sauce that's been "doctored" with some garlic powder, cumin, and Worcestershire Sauce) completes the flavor trifecta (rub, smoke, sauce).
IMG_0858_zpsb0d5ba0c.jpg

Sorry that I don't have a plated picture. CINCHOUSE awoke from her nap when the hickory smoke wafted inside... and nearly took me out as I tried to toss 'em in the sauce.

Another batch of Wicken Yanks' Wings Over Okinawa in the books!

Thanks for looking, and have a great Sunday!

SD

Man that looks good! Wish I had time to do some before the Bears game in an hour. That typhoon is no joke. Just read it may have taken out a few of our soldiers.

SPOG and such...

I'm just wondering one thing about the rub. .. what the hell is spog? Salt,pepper,onion, garlic?

Sorry, JT. I'm still learnin' the lingo, and I've seen many folks mention "SPOG" a few times... Salt (Sea or Kosher for me), Pepper (Coarse Black for me), Onion Powder, and Garlic Powder just kinda made sense... so I ran with it.

Yes, we've had some fatalities in the last 24 here. Unfortunately, the sea is not forgiving when it comes to rogue waves and such near typhoons. We've had men and women from the 33rd Rescue Squadron (flying HH-60s) along with the Japanese Coast Guard's full contingent in the rescue effort.

Keep the families in your prayers and please raise a glass to those who continue to search for closure on their behalf.

Shadow Driver

Consider yourself shigged.

Doug,

Is that like getting shivved / shanked / stabbed, etc!? Yikes!

Perhaps it's "shagged," but with a "vowel movement..." Mrs. ShadowDriver might not be so thrilled to hear that, but thanks all the same.

Thanks... I think? :wacko:
SD

"Shigged". Heard the term used on BBQ Pitmasters, meaning stealing ones recipe, cooking method, and so on...
And if I'm correct on this assumption, I've "shigged" the hell out of a few of my brethern:redface:

SD how did the temp hold with all that wind? I kept looking out the windows at all the trees blowing around but was thankful there was no rain this time. Hope the next one turns north soon.

Looks danged good! Hope you and family keep safe SD.

I agree, nice looking chicken you cooked there, and hoping for the best for all who are weathering those storms. Just curious, wings go for around $2.19 a pound here, how much over there?

SD how did the temp hold with all that wind?
GB - I'm fortunate that my house (over on Kadena AB) has a nice "alcove" of sorts that protects my smoker & grill on 3 sides. Don't tell the fire department, but I get my smoker and grill up under the eaves (with gutters) to protect them when the wind and rain hit during a cook. I seriously miss my stick burner, but the LP smoker just makes sense out here... held temp right well w/o many adjustments.

Hunker down... Vongfong's headed our way in the next couple of days!

Looks danged good! Hope you and family keep safe SD.

Many thanks, cowgirl... means quite a bit coming from you. The house is built like a brick $**t house, and we'll be fine. CINCHOUSE and the kids will be stuck inside over the weekend, but...

I agree, nice looking chicken you cooked there, and hoping for the best for all who are weathering those storms. Just curious, wings go for around $2.19 a pound here, how much over there?

Wornslick, I seem to recall paying something like 600-700 yen for those 2 x 500g packets... 1kg for about (high side) $7. So... about $3.20 per pound of local chicken wings (just the drumstick pieces). I've been buying the flash frozen wings from the commissary at 5 lbs for around $10-11... but if the quality is as high as I had this past weekend, I may change my normal tune if it's just for a couple of us (vs. a big cook)!

Kind regards,
SD

Back