• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

uds whole bird help

steelarz47

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
a couple of quick questions; cooking three whole birds 2and half to three pounders at a temp of 250 that is wide open (about 25 degree out), was thinking about finishing in 500 degree oven 4 15 to 20min to achieve a crisp skin. ya or no and if so what temp would i pull them thanks:decision:

Id say just go 350 or so the whole cook. In that case it would take a little little over an hour and a half.

Well an oven finish will have to work. You could always add more intake /exhaust to the drum to make it more versatile

You could start with more lit coal to achieve higher temps too. I've run 325+ degrees in snow with 4 intakes

i have 3 1inch air intakes on bottom and one 3in pipe on top?

Toss in a half to full chimney and let er rip. What's the worst that could happen?

will try that on my next one, maybe try lump they say it burns hotter.

a couple of quick questions; cooking three whole birds 2and half to three pounders at a temp of 250 that is wide open (about 25 degree out), was thinking about finishing in 500 degree oven 4 15 to 20min to achieve a crisp skin. ya or no and if so what temp would i pull them thanks:decision:
I am not a UDS man, but I think you will want to pull them from the smoker about 10-15 degrees shy of final target temp if you are going directly from there to a 500 degree oven.

thanks gman just pulled at 157 will let u know how they turn out. the ribs on top are looking good just going to wait on a little nicer color they were only 175.

Yep more coals to start off with will do the trick. In the summer I light about 12 burquets coals and the max temp I got was around 325. Just did a test run in -26c weather yesterday with about 25-30 burquets coals and got 425 easily.
My UDS has 3 x 3/4" inlets and one 2" exhaust

I have three 1" intakes and a 2" exhaust and I have no trouble with temps getting up nor down. Maybe the problem could be in the basket? Fuel getting choked maybe?

Back