• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Makin' some ribs for the family w/ pron.

Mad Max

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
My family came down to the beach and then stopped by, for a few days. They always want some Que, so I decided to make some ribs. Started out with 4 slabs of spareribs, trimmed St. Louis style and removed the membrane. Then drizzled with EVOO to help the dry rub adhere to the rib. The rub was a homemade rub of brown sugar, paprika, cumin, salt, black pepper, chipotle chili powder, garlic and onion powder.
IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

After being rubbed, they went in the ice box for a day and a half. Don't usually do this, put wanted to get the most flavor out of the rub. On the day of the cook, I took out the ribs about an hour before putting them on the UDS and letting them come up to room temperature. The smoker was set up with reg. Kingsford and cherry and hickory wood chunks (about 2 chunks each). The charcoal basket was filled half way, and a half chimney was started. Once the coal in the chimney was lit, half went in one drum and half in another( about 10-12 coals a piece).
IMG_0757.jpg

After about 3.5 hours, on the smoke, about 225-230 temp. on the pit. Try the bend test and it was pulling just right. Then I sauced and foiled, they went in the cooler for about an hour and sauced again, before serving. The final sauce was heated to keep the rib warm and not drop the rib temp.
IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

Everyone enjoyed it and the overnight sitting in the rub did make the rib more flavor full. The bark was very good and rib nice and moist. Sorry, no pics of cut section, my camera battery died out. :doh:

I'll take the other rack that Phubar didn't! :becky:

Don't know why I never thought of coolering ribs before, I do it for most other meats.

Back