MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:48 AM   #16
chefman316
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBQ View Post
I also supposed I should mention we got the nickname of the "most dangerous team in barbeque" because we once knocked an organizer out 10 minutes after arriving at our first contest of the year. I'm talking flat out unconscious and unresponsive for five minutes. Jon Vallone was was helping us load into our spot at the Roc City Ribfest, and was holding our trailer dolly. It's pretty easy to keep in place at rest - you could hold it with two fingers. It also has a stand, so you could just leave it standing on it's own. That didn't happen. Jon let it go...and the 2,400 pound smoker behind it built up a lot of momentum quickly. When he grabbed for the handle, it flipped him over and slammed him into the ground.

The EMTs showed up, put Jon on a stretcher with a back and neck brace, and brought him to the hospital. An MRI confirmed no permanent damage, and he was back at the contest that evening.

Now whenever we get calls at that contest, he says something like "the most dangerous man in BBQ" or "don't let them hurt me..." but they do keep inviting us back.

(It's a great contest, by the way, and they have a People''s Choice that's fair, fun for the teams, and raises money for a good cause. Take note Smoke on the Harbor.)
How is the BBQ scene in RI???

Lived in Cranston for 4 years while going to college...
[COLOR=sienna][B]Member: [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black]KCBS, NBBQA, IFT, Research Chefs Association [COLOR=#008000][B]CBJ#: [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black]80380[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=royalblue][B]*Contact us for sponsorship opportunities*[/B][/COLOR]
[URL]http://axemenbbq.com/2015/12/14/axe-men-bbq-now-part-of-the-bbq-brethren/[/URL]
chefman316 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2015, 11:49 AM   #17
masque13
is one Smokin' Farker

Back in October, we let the time get away from us with ribs and I was sprinting to turn in the rib box and total wiped out 20 feet away from the turn in table.......ribs, parsley, box, hat, glasses and pride all went flying as I fell HARD.

at first I thought I had either blown my knee out or broken my leg as I could not walk at all.....everyone was super nice to me, and I wound up on crutches for about a week with a deep bone bruise within my knee and a strain of the MCL.

the amazing thing was that we went on to get a two calls, a 10th place in pork and a 7th in brisket......that is a day I won't soon forget!
masque13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-18-2015, 12:24 PM   #18
cmohr74
Full Fledged Farker

You have to see if you can get Rub to chime in here. This is the man who's broken more bones at a comp...including his neck I believe. That man has some stories.

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-18-2015, 12:38 PM   #19
ckelly
Full Fledged Farker

Our comps out here are primarily Saturday/Sunday.
A comp about 45 miles from home.
Get up early Saturday AM and proceed to have a full blown seizure in the shower.
Broke a toe, farked up both knees, giant bruise on my shoulder, cut above my eye ... lucky I didn't catch the actual eye on anything.

Felt like hell, limping around all competition. Took me almost 5 hours to setup what is normally a 45-60 minute process.

2nd chicken, 2nd ribs, 3rd pork, 7th brisket for my 1st ever GC and that was this past July.

Oh, and every time we got a call, my teammate would get excited and "shove me around" as I was tying to stand up!
ckelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2015, 12:48 PM   #20
Kave Dweller
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmohr74 View Post
You have to see if you can get Rub to chime in here. This is the man who's broken more bones at a comp...including his neck I believe. That man has some stories.
Why I keep watching this thread.

Creators of "Reverse Shigging": When your competition wants to know what your doing so they know what doesn't work.
Kave Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2015, 01:11 PM   #21
K-Train
is One Chatty Farker

Teammate was bringing me the pork from smoker to table to wrap. He managed to spill all the hot liquid from the pan onto his flip flopped foot. Which is why I now always wear boots when cooking. I learned a good lesson through his pain.
WSM 22.5
GMG Davy Crockett
K-Train is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2015, 01:26 PM   #22
Ackman
Full Fledged Farker

Well the shooting in Stamford last year was pretty interesting...all going down about 100 yards from the cook site.

WSM 18"
CookShack SM025
Lang 36
BWS Extended Party
Humphrey's Battle Box and matching Pint
Ackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2015, 01:47 PM   #23
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmohr74 View Post
Golf cart story......

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2015, 02:52 PM   #24
bigdogphin
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly View Post
Our comps out here are primarily Saturday/Sunday.
A comp about 45 miles from home.
Get up early Saturday AM and proceed to have a full blown seizure in the shower.
Broke a toe, farked up both knees, giant bruise on my shoulder, cut above my eye ... lucky I didn't catch the actual eye on anything.

Felt like hell, limping around all competition. Took me almost 5 hours to setup what is normally a 45-60 minute process.

2nd chicken, 2nd ribs, 3rd pork, 7th brisket for my 1st ever GC and that was this past July.

Oh, and every time we got a call, my teammate would get excited and "shove me around" as I was tying to stand up!
Considering all the times you cooked with Eckert its amazing you had your own story to beat those ones

"Xquelibur" Black badazz Yoder Cimarron

Custom Yoder Frontiersman II and YS1500
Reverse FEC 100 & Right Handed FEC 100
1 UDS
Desert Thermapen W/ American flag
Green Thermapen
KCBS & PNWBA CBJ
bigdogphin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2015, 03:32 PM   #25
bbqwizard
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Phillip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I remember that! Ouch!

We broke a spring on our old trailer on the way to a competition in the UP of Michigan a few years ago. Fortunately I was able to find a spring and someone to replace it and we made it to the comp at 5:00pm.
Those MI roads sacrifice a lot of people..lol
By His grace, for His glory!
bbqwizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2015, 04:05 PM   #26
MikeJ65
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Casten View Post
picture is worth a thousand words ...
Some well deserved PR for Forrest River. Enough to keep me from considering them.

Old 12-18-2015, 04:15 PM   #27
ckelly
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogphin View Post
Considering all the times you cooked with Eckert its amazing you had your own story to beat those ones

LOL! I'll let him chime in with his own stories, but I can re-affirm something that has been mentioned a few times here ...

"floor spice makes everything nice"

We dropped a butt at 1 contest.
Washed it off, re-seasoned. Took 3rd or 4th place.

ckelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2015, 07:14 PM   #28
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

Ask Eggspert, I only heard about it
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2015, 09:01 PM   #29
Pork Barrel Project
Got Wood.

Was cooking with some friends about ten years ago. They always spritzed their meats with a spray of apple juice just before closing the box to give them some extra shine. When the ribs were ready to go, they sprayed them with the nearest bottle, which turned out to be the weak bleach mixture they used for cleaning their work area. After staining the air a deep shade of blue, the box was set out in the sun for a few minutes to air out the box and bake off the bleach. With seconds to spare, they slapped on a thick coat of fresh sauce and turned them in. A couple hours, they got a top ten call on their "sanitized" ribs.
Pork Barrel Project is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2015, 09:08 PM   #30
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

More years ago than I want to remember, while saucing the chicken on a beach on Puget Sound with downtown Seattle in the distance, a flock of seagulls flew over. Washed the thighs, applied more rub and sauce and brought up to temp. The chicken took first and contributed to the RGC. Never did find the seagull to thank him!!
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbq, chicken, cooking, Grill, KCBD, smoke