MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:28 PM   #7471
viodea
Knows what a fatty is.

Don't have butcher paper :(. Will use foil instead.

Do you rub salt and pepper right before cook time or over night?
viodea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2017, 06:49 PM   #7472
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

I season the brisket right before it goes on.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2017, 11:14 PM   #7473
stan5677
Full Fledged Farker

Just got my pit barrel cooker after months of debate on which cooker to buy i plan on doing some st. Louis style spare ribs this weekend and need some advice I'm looking for more of the competition style ribs not fall of the bone any advice on length of cook wrap or unwrap
stan5677 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2017, 11:38 PM   #7474
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Congrats on the purchase Stan. You're going to love it!

1. Make sure you hook the thicker part of the ribs below the 3rd rib. This will prevent them from falling into the fire.

2. If you want comp style tenderness you can do it wrapping or not. Whatever your preference. I like to not wrap, but I know plenty of people that do so they can add the sweet brown sugar butter layer. I would guess about 3-3.5 hours for unwrapped spares.

Good luck and post pictures!!

Old 11-18-2017, 02:42 AM   #7475
hs106
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlsportster View Post
Congrats on the purchase Stan. You're going to love it!

1. Make sure you hook the thicker part of the ribs below the 3rd rib. This will prevent them from falling into the fire.
You can also cut the rack of ribs in half to lighten the weight on the hooks. Maybe doesn't look as presentable, but you'll never lose a rack to the coals.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:51 AM   #7476
D&D BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

For a few comps, including a local one I won on a PBC, I did 2.5 hours hanging in the smoke (full racks with apple wood chunks mixed with KBB) and then approximately 1 hour in the foil with the Jonny Trigg mix (done when a toothpick slides into the meat like buttah). Glaze with 3 parts Blues Hog Original to 1 part of foil wrap mix that you catch in your sauce pan, and then go get your trophy!

Old 11-18-2017, 01:04 PM   #7477
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

I'm a bad PBC owner. Went to use my barrel today for the first time in weeks if not months and it was full of mold. In a panic I texted Noah and he called me back in two minutes. First thing he said was I was guilty of not using my PBC enough; I got a good chuckle out of that. He walked me through how to burn off the mold and so hopefully that work in time for tonight's cook. An amazing quality product with next to non customer service you can't beat the Pit Barrel

Old 11-18-2017, 01:36 PM   #7478
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Dang. I haven't used mine since June. Maybe I better check it out. How did you burn off the mold?

Old 11-18-2017, 01:47 PM   #7479
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

It's been pretty wet here lately and I've left it under the cover so that moisture probably helped with the build up. I took an old wire brush and dry scrubbed everything down. Then I loaded up a full basket and loaded a full Webber chimney. Lit the chimney for 20 minutes and dumped. Let the barrel get hot and then cover with at least 2" of a gap. I'll report back in a couple days to let everyone know how the mold has come along. This might be a great excuse to purchase the hanging grate now that I've wanted but didn't think two grates we're necessary.

Edit: I decided to cook a rack of lamb first then proceed with the burn out and oh my god this must be the greatest thing I've ever cooked. The picture looks slightly more rare than it actually was
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171118_153003.jpg (68.4 KB, 312 views)

Last edited by TealStBBQKing; 11-18-2017 at 02:33 PM..
TealStBBQKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-18-2017, 05:45 PM   #7480
Thingfish
is One Chatty Farker

Lovely lamb, Jeff!
Thermoworks Smoke, Red "Backlit" Thermopen, Red ChefAlarm, Red Thermopop
Thingfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2017, 08:48 PM   #7481
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Mold = Flavor?

Old 11-20-2017, 09:34 AM   #7482
SS13
Knows what a fatty is.

I am looking forward to seeing everyone's Thanksgiving pictures and stories. We are going to relatives where my brother-in-law will be putting a 15lb packer on his Smokey Mountain. He does great bbq so I am not worried.

I have a turkey breast that has been brining/curing in my fridge for 4 days which will be smoked on my PBC tomorrow for turkey pastrami. This has been something I have been wanting to do for a while now.

I will post pictures when it happens.

Basic process:
Brine/Cure - water, salt, brown sugar, garlic powder, pickling spice and Prague powder

Rub: homemade, but loosely based on ones I found by searching the web, with some ingredients reduces or omitted based on taste preference.
SS13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2017, 09:45 AM   #7483
Thingfish
is One Chatty Farker

Sounds like you have a pastrami plan, SS13 ... be sure to let us know how it turns out (and pics, pics, pics)!
Thermoworks Smoke, Red "Backlit" Thermopen, Red ChefAlarm, Red Thermopop
Thingfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-20-2017, 01:57 PM   #7484
BigKing
Full Fledged Farker

Has anyone had their lid not seem to seal properly out of the blue? I haven't dropped the lid or banged the barrel around. I use it regularly and keep it covered.

I've been getting real uneven burns the last two times out where the half of the basket closest to the intake pretty much burns out while the back half isn't really lit. Had to stick my hand in there and rotate the basket around on Saturday or it seemed like the fire would have died. Haven't adjusted the intake in over a year and I'm lighting it the same way as I always have.

I'm now noticing smoke coming out of the lid. If I move the lid more to one side, the smoke will stop coming out where it was but instead leak out somewhere else. Don't think this is what is causing the bad burn pattern, but it's just started up at the same time. Last few cooks have had people remark that it doesn't taste as smoky...maybe just a coincidence as well but she ain't just chugging along easy like she used to.

Six racks of ribs were on for seven (!) hours on Saturday. I wound up taking the rebar out with three racks hanging on each and flipping them so the rack in the back could get some more of the heat closer to the intake. Regardless, I'm usually a five hour rib guy since I think I run my barrel a little lower temp wise but this is taking it too far. Two of the racks even needed more time in the smoker but I had to pull them since it was time to leave the house for the night.

Old 11-20-2017, 02:49 PM   #7485
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

BK,

The dynamics change when the PBC is loaded. Dare I say that's the only drawback of the PBC? 2-3 slabs or 2 halved chickens for example and she chugs along just fine. Now, when I loaded it to 3/4 full or full capacity, that's where I experienced the exact symptoms you described. Most people don't load up the PBC with multiple cuts of meat or 8 ribs so it works just fine. IMO, a lot more meat to cook and finish times were extended significantly when loaded. Also, with a packed barrel there are a lot more drippings which in my experience extinguished the fire so I had to rotate the basket halfway through and at times pull off the rebars. A lot more mass so it needs a lot more energy to pull off the cook is how I look at it. It still does the job but takes longer and there is more involvement.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it