MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:40 PM   #1
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jonathan
Default Do you prefer the vertical chamber on your offset?

Hi all,

About to buy my first stick burner and for months have only been considering the ones without a vertical chamber because I don't smoke large quantities and don't want to pay a premium price for the added chamber. But now I've found a great deal on a used cooker that has a vertical chamber. I have no experience with them so.....

If I'm only cooking one hunk o' meat, should I use the horizontal or vertical chamber?

Do cookers with the vertical chamber use a ton more wood because of the extra space to heat, or is it relatively similar fuel usage to maintain once you get your initial temps up?

Can you put a small fire directly in the bottom of the vertical chamber (instead of the main firebox) and use it like a UDS?

What else should I be considering since I have no experience with the vertical offset?

Old 12-03-2017, 09:42 PM   #2
Westx
is One Chatty Farker

I have the vertical on my Shirley and did two racks of ribs in it today. Worked great and perfect for that small cook.
Assassin 36” Pellet Grill
LSG Mini on reversed comp cart
LSG 20”x36” pellet grill
Wes
Westx is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 12-03-2017, 09:43 PM   #3
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Verticals are irreplaceable if you want to do sausage. you need the head room.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-03-2017, 10:04 PM   #4
bonz50
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Tony

Joshw and Westx both nailed exactly why I’m getting a warming chamber when I order my Shirley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[B]WSM 18.5", Weber Genesis Gold B, Blackstone 36" griddle, OK Joe Longhorn
[/B]
bonz50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2017, 10:05 PM   #5
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Depends... Is the vertical over the FB or at the opposite end? Over the FB is more useful to me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2017, 10:41 PM   #6
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
Depends... Is the vertical over the FB or at the opposite end? Over the FB is more useful to me.

It is at the opposite end.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:04 PM   #7
pjtexas1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMIMNAK View Post
It is at the opposite end.
You can either have 2 different temp zones or make a charcoal basket for the vertical end and cook with direct heat for smaller cooks.

SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])

Old 12-03-2017, 11:06 PM   #8
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
You can either have 2 different temp zones or make a charcoal basket for the vertical end and cook with direct heat for smaller cooks.

Great, thanks! Is there a way for a guy with no welding skills to make a basket, or would it be better just to order one online?

Old 12-03-2017, 11:13 PM   #9
pjtexas1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMIMNAK View Post
Great, thanks! Is there a way for a guy with no welding skills to make a basket, or would it be better just to order one online?
Buy expanded metal sheet at HD or Lowe's. All you need is some good tin snips to make 4 cuts and fold the expanded metal at the cuts. This makes the basket which you can tie the ends with metal wire. For the feet get 4 SS bolts, 8 washers and 8 nuts. Here's one I made a few years ago.

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-03-2017, 11:27 PM   #10
pjtexas1

This should make more sense...
http://smokingmeatforums.com/index.p...-basket.89796/

Old 12-04-2017, 12:23 AM   #11
SmittyJonz

You can cut expanded with a jigsaw and Use stainless steel zip ties.

Tags
offset smoker, vertical offset