Replacement for an Outlaw from CharGriller

JuniorBalloon

Got Wood.
Reaction score
For the last few years I've been using this grill for regular, as in almost nightly, grilling on the back deck. It has served me well. It's 19x53 inch cooking surface does well with any 2 zone cooking I might want to do. Big enough to build a fire on onside and slow cook some ribs on the other. But it's construction is shoddy, and it leaks air like crazy.

It recently rusted through and so I'm looking to upgrade. Something a little heavier, fairly tight fit, and in the price range around $500 to $600.

Any recommendations appreciated.

JB

In that price range you may want to take a look at the Chargriller Grand Champ XD. I have an Outlaw that I am going to replace with the XD. You might find one at your local Home Depot. I hope this helps.

Double the price and you will get into some lifetime grills like an Assassin.

For your price point, it would be hard to beat a Weber 26” for something that will last. While not as big as what you are currently using, it does back a lot of useable space and can be setup to have 2 zones very easily. Can also smoke in it.

Those Assasins look awesome, but at that price and weight I'd never get it on my deck. :grin:

I am trying to stay away from CharGriller and I'm not in the market for an offset, though the XD does look nice. I recently ordered another Outlaw, arrived bent, took several days and emails and they finally said return it. Since the bend wasn't apparent until fully assembled, I had to disassemble and box to return it. Didn't cost any extra, but left a bad taste in my mouth. that said I did look at some of their Cart grills and they look to be better built and fit. Certainly more bells and whistles than the Outlaw.

Anyone have any experience this this model

https://www.chargriller.com/collections/cart-style-grills/products/classic#

Thanks to both of you.

JB

Those Assasins look awesome, but at that price and weight I'd never get it on my deck. :grin:

I am trying to stay away from CharGriller and I'm not in the market for an offset, though the XD does look nice. I recently ordered another Outlaw, arrived bent, took several days and emails and they finally said return it. Since the bend wasn't apparent until fully assembled, I had to disassemble and box to return it. Didn't cost any extra, but left a bad taste in my mouth. that said I did look at some of their Cart grills and they look to be better built and fit. Certainly more bells and whistles than the Outlaw.

Anyone have any experience this this model

https://www.chargriller.com/collections/cart-style-grills/products/classic#

Thanks to both of you.

JB
Your won't like it. Get another outlaw.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I started with a CG. For years. Learned a lot. Would never recommend to another.

Another vote for the Weber 26. :thumb:

I'll have to check out a Weber 26 in person. Feels to small for my style. If they had a 30 I'd be very interested. They have something called the Ranch, but it's $1500. Yikes!

Seems like there's a market for an Outlaw sized grill that doesn't leak so much air that's not being served.

I'll have to check out a Weber 26 in person. Feels to small for my style. If they had a 30 I'd be very interested. They have something called the Ranch, but it's $1500. Yikes!

Seems like there's a market for an Outlaw sized grill that doesn't leak so much air that's not being served.

Take a look at the Oklahoma Joe’s Judge, I’m on the fence right now deciding between that & a 26” Weber. I looked at that Chargriller in person at my local HD & it’s a giant pile of junk. The Judge offers a large grilling surface with an adjustable charcoal grate. The kettle is the gold standard but I feel it’s not enough grilling space for my needs too which is why the Judge is so appealing to me, I’m just not sure I can walk away from the convection that a Kettle offers.

https://www.oklahomajoes.com/judge-charcoal-grill

Take a look at the Oklahoma Joe’s Judge, I’m on the fence right now deciding between that & a 26” Weber. I looked at that Chargriller in person at my local HD & it’s a giant pile of junk. The Judge offers a large grilling surface with an adjustable charcoal grate. The kettle is the gold standard but I feel it’s not enough grilling space for my needs too which is why the Judge is so appealing to me, I’m just not sure I can walk away from the convection that a Kettle offers.

https://www.oklahomajoes.com/judge-charcoal-grill

I had looked at the Judge also, which looks pretty good in the pictures. Of concern are comments in the reviews like this one:

"Leaks smoke and heat from every seam which makes controlling temperature a bit of a battle and there needs to also be more care in the packaging process."

These come from this page.

https://www.oklahomajoes.com/judge-...KkELDlUrs0r5jjsyFMknHf_WNS6s6PuEaAurAEALw_wcB

One fellow used food grade rtv and Nomex gasket on the lid. I've used both of those to tighten up my WMS, and it works, but I wish someone was taking care of this at mfg.

Thanks,
jb

The thing is, all grills in that price range have compromises in quality to meet a price point. If you move up to the Assassin grills or the Horizon Patriot grills (OG OKJ), you won't have the issues.

Get ya self a 100 gallon propane tank, a grinder, a cheap flux core welder, a sheet of expanded metal #9 flat, a cpl sticks of 3/4” angle, a stick of 1” flat stock and a stick of 2x2 tube.

I do realize that at this price point i won't get everything I'd like, but can't hurt to wish and look around.

Just ran across the Dyna-glo grills. this one looks like a cheap knock off the Judge. Anyone have any experience with one of these?

https://dynaglogrill.com/product/x-large-heavy-duty-charcoal-grill-dgn576dnc-d/

Ha! Just looked at Specs and it weighs in at 96 lbs. I'm sure it's a piece of :flame: ing poo.

I had looked at the Judge also, which looks pretty good in the pictures. Of concern are comments in the reviews like this one:

"Leaks smoke and heat from every seam which makes controlling temperature a bit of a battle and there needs to also be more care in the packaging process."

https://www.oklahomajoes.com/judge-...KkELDlUrs0r5jjsyFMknHf_WNS6s6PuEaAurAEALw_wcB

One fellow used food grade rtv and Nomex gasket on the lid. I've used both of those to tighten up my WMS, and it works, but I wish someone was taking care of this at mfg.

Thanks,
jb

Are you telling me that your CG didn't leak?

Thanks,
jb

I think that modifying these grills is part of the fun. I’ve modded some kettle’s & then taken the time to really learn how they cook. Besides turning out some great food I had a lot of fun on the way. For me part of the fun of this hobby is trying new things & learning.

I think that modifying these grills is part of the fun. I’ve modded some kettle’s & then taken the time to really learn how they cook. Besides turning out some great food I had a lot of fun on the way. For me part of the fun of this hobby is trying new things & learning.

Good point. As I look at the OK Judge I think it will be easier to mod than other grills I've looked at.

Thanks.

Here come da Judge. Ordered last night, and will pick up sometime next week. Will report back what I think of it. I'm going to pre order the RVT. I'll forgo the Nomex gasket for now. Didn't like the way they gunked up on my WSM.

Back