Iberico ribs - to wrap or not?

TimVG

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi Brethren

I've cooked plenty of ribs, but tomorrow will be my first set of Iberico ribs.

My normal process is to look for color and wrap around 160° in foil to tenderize. Meat is generally a bit leaner here in Europe and haven't had great experiences with doing ribs naked.

These however are in a different league marbling wise. I knew they would be but I didn't expect the difference to be this dramatic. Forgot to shoot a picture before seasoning although you can kinda still make it out from the side.

Will be cooking hot and fast on my offset along with some other meat, although I've got a few zones to work with temp and convection wise.

Thanks and happy weekend all

I vote no wrap. I have never had those before, but if the marbling is there, a good rub, smoke, and porkfat is all you need.

I did not see this yesterday, but would've advised you not wrap. While beef tends to be leaner in Europe, pork is not, and Iberico pork is ... wonderful! There are a number of possibilities. I have had these many times in Spain and even had them cooked at a Spanish BBQ. They were seasoned with salt and cooked on an open grill, on a grate over the coals and no cover, as we would might cook a steak, but not so hot. I'd say they were cooked for maybe 20-30 minutes, flipped often. They came out tender and extremely juicy.

I can image these indeed turning out well cooked over a direct fire. Don't get me wrong, they were good this way (4h at 275°) - but just a tad too fatty for my taste.

I can image these indeed turning out well cooked over a direct fire. Don't get me wrong, they were good this way (4h at 275°) - but just a tad too fatty for my taste.

If it's anything like the cured hams, can imagine the ribs would be incredibly rich & fatty.

Thanks for the updates and thoughts. Now I know if I ever get them my wife will not like them

Back