MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-23-2021, 07:36 AM   #76
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : A man named Lynn

Rockler guide to kickbacks. It will also make a diff if you have a sliding miter saw.

https://www.rockler.com/how-to/miter-saw-kickback/
Lynn Dollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2021, 07:03 PM   #77
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

First impressions of the Black and Decker Lopper Saw : 100% legit and a great product. Took me 5 minutes out of the box to get it up and running (just needed to add some oil) and it was running like a champ. I'm running with a pretty small offset smoker now...18x30 Pitts and Spits, so having smaller pieces of wood is necessary.

I found it very easy to just grab a split with the teeth (or jaws) of the saw, and immediately start cutting. So far I feel very safe using this saw and haven't had any kickback or issues. It's super easy to use and very quick...it used to take me about 10 minutes to get my miter saw setup as I had to store it in my garage. This lopper saw can sit out right by my smoker and if I need it I plug it in and go to town.

It's already dark here, but I'll try and remember to post a couple pics tomorrow. Not much to see but it sure does make quick work of cutting splits down to a more usable length.

Old 10-24-2021, 07:55 PM   #78
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post
First impressions of the Black and Decker Lopper Saw : 100% legit and a great product. Took me 5 minutes out of the box to get it up and running (just needed to add some oil) and it was running like a champ. I'm running with a pretty small offset smoker now...18x30 Pitts and Spits, so having smaller pieces of wood is necessary.

I found it very easy to just grab a split with the teeth (or jaws) of the saw, and immediately start cutting. So far I feel very safe using this saw and haven't had any kickback or issues. It's super easy to use and very quick...it used to take me about 10 minutes to get my miter saw setup as I had to store it in my garage. This lopper saw can sit out right by my smoker and if I need it I plug it in and go to town.

It's already dark here, but I'll try and remember to post a couple pics tomorrow. Not much to see but it sure does make quick work of cutting splits down to a more usable length.
4" doesn't seem like much. Did you have to split logs lengthwise first? I'm definitely interested.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2021, 06:12 AM   #79
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
4" doesn't seem like much. Did you have to split logs lengthwise first? I'm definitely interested.

So far every split I have I've been able to cut in half with this saw. The biggest one I had I did have to cut through it and then rotate it to finish the cut because of its size. So far I haven't had to split any of the splits down the middle so that I could cut them down to length. This being said the wood I have right now is of a pretty moderate size, and I know in the past I've had much larger splits which would require me to either split them first, or I'd have to do the cut + rotate + cut again method.

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-25-2021, 07:14 AM   #80
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

I have a $40 Harbor Freight corded electric chain saw. When I try to cut small diameter splits with it, the splits roll.

Do the splits roll with this B&D Lopper ?

How do you support the splits when you cut them ?

Old 10-25-2021, 08:05 AM   #81
Robert
is One Chatty Farker

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4-7133f4cef4be

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7-9a0ad66e7f8d

If you could find a pipe vice like the ones at the links above that would solve your question of how to hold the wood in place as you cut. The largest capacity I have found is 8" but very expensive if bought new. Down in the oil patch, I would think you could find them cheaper at pawn shops. And if you do find a bunch of them, I'd be interested in one.

Thanks,

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2021, 08:11 AM   #82
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Dollar View Post
I have a $40 Harbor Freight corded electric chain saw. When I try to cut small diameter splits with it, the splits roll.

They do not roll...the lopper saw has "teeth" which hold the split in place while you're cutting it. Over the years I've tried various methods to cut splits including a chain saw, and the chain saw was never very viable because the splits would roll or rattle. The teeth on that lopper saw holds the split in place very firmly. For $80 it's really a pretty nifty piece of equipment. I'm going to cut the rest of my wood this morning and I'll take a couple pics of the different sized splits and show what this thing can do.

Old 10-25-2021, 08:14 AM   #83
Dustin Dorsey
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Dollar View Post

The jaws of the device hold the splits for you and the splits won't roll. It does have a max size it will handle so sometimes I've had to split the log and then cut it in half.
Dustin Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-25-2021, 08:53 AM   #84
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

So I only had about 1/8 of a cord of pecan, but it took me roughly 20 minutes to cut it all down to a better length for my smoker. I took a couple pics and have a measuring tape in there just to show the sizes of the splits I'm cutting. I'm still very impressed with this little saw and I think it'll definitely be my go-to tool for cutting splits in the future. Mind you I'm cutting these down to length and then using my Kindling Cracker to split these down even smaller.

https://imgur.com/a/rQ4MVUH

Old 10-25-2021, 09:42 AM   #85
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

Well, that does it. I'm gonna order one today.

I bought the battery powered unit, tool only. I have four B&D 20V batteries .

And I found it at Lowes for $84 , tool only.

Last edited by Lynn Dollar; 10-25-2021 at 11:35 AM..

Old 10-25-2021, 01:00 PM   #86
JeffinNE
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Anyone who has made a homemade X shaped sawbuck have any rattle or roll of the logs when using a chain saw?
JeffinNE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2021, 01:58 PM   #87
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinNE View Post
Anyone who has made a homemade X shaped sawbuck have any rattle or roll of the logs when using a chain saw?

Not me.

Only problem I have is keeping the nuts on the bolts I'm using to allow it to fold up, from loosening.

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-25-2021, 05:52 PM   #88
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

Double nut, Lock tite, peen em- or tack them with a stick welder.

let them come loose then

Old 10-25-2021, 07:58 PM   #89
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Don't know if this is worth a crap or not.

PowerSmart JasSaw, Electric Lopper Saw, Electric Chainsaw with Auto-Tension, Corded 5 Amp Electric Chain Saw, PS8204 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FN5H91R...ing=UTF8&psc=1

SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2021, 08:08 AM   #90
bbq ron
is one Smokin' Farker

i use a kinding cracker from northern tool and you can buy on amazon
gosm
bbq ron is offline   Reply With Quote