Old Brinkman Cimarron

MidwestSmoke

Found some matches.
First about where I am at.
Spent the last couple years smoking on a cheapo knock off of a WSM. Learned a lot and learned how to make mods as well as cook pretty well on it.
Most of the time it only for the family so I didn't need a lot of capacity. It's time to move onto something better. Been looking at the Brinkman vertical available at HD for ~$260 (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Brinkmann-Trailmaster-Vertical-Smoker-855-6303-SB/203703110).
I liked the capacity (would really like to do some larger cooks time to time for friends, etc)
Read many threads on mods needed for this unit and nothing that scares me (actually looked like it might be fun to do).
Well now I ran across an ad locally for an older Brinkman Cimarron (see below) and am looking for feedback. Would this Cimarron let me set some longer (e.g. setup a brisket late night and get some sleep before needing to tend it). Price-wise it would be equivalent to the Brinkmann vertical once I completed the mods (assuming the Cimarron didn't need any.)
What do others think?
00K0K_jPZ5WLYARbv_600x450.jpg

Set up right you should get a few hours sleep. IMO that would be a better smoker than the Home Depot Brinkman. The Cimarron is better build and last longer. You won't have to do many mods to the Cimarron either.

If you make a charcoal basket, you might get a few hours of sleep. It is a stick burner though.
It's a solid pit. I have one. It was my first pit.
Tuning plates help a lot to even temps out side to side.

it much better qaulity but you will still have to tend it every 45 min - 1 hr if stickburning and every 2-3-4 hrs if charcoal basket/chunks.

I have been doing some reading and they all say it is 1/4" steel. It looks to be in pretty good shape as well. If the price is right it would be a great pit.

I use lump in mine with a modified coal grate to get it up off the bottom. I do a modified minion method with the hot coals on one side and fresh charcoal on the other side. I use a aluminum bread pan filled with water or other liquid in front of the firebox opening. Can get 2-3 hours before having to refresh the charcoal. I Love it!

picture.php

I think using charcoal in a stick burner is making it something it's now. If I don't feel like baby sitting it's the kettle or wsm.

Nice little pit. ( if it's as well built as I have read) I'd jump on it if the price was right. I am going to side-step the purist conversation... that just goes in circles and gets a lot of panties waded up. But from your sleep reference I would strongly sudgest a uds, gravity feed or something that would allow you those overnight cooks while snoozing away.

I have the horizontal trailmaster which is the newer version of the cimmaron I think. I like but not as much as I like the vertical trailmaster. I think the capacity of the vertical is better as well as the flow and temp stability. I can go a couple hours on the horizontal trailmaster using coals or lump with maybe a split on top, but usually after the first split is near done it needs attention about every hour to hour and a half.

There goes that whole bbq purist thing again! :boxing:

Thats not where i was going just responding to this

Would this Cimarron let me set some longer (e.g. setup a brisket late night and get some sleep before needing to tend it). Price-wise it would be equivalent to the Brinkmann vertical once I completed the mods (assuming the Cimarron didn't need any.)
What do others think?

Burning charcoal as the main fuel in a stick burner just isnt the most practical setup for set it and forget it. So if you want sleep use another cooker. Besides its gonna burn way more fuel then a wsm (or his clone) or a drum.

Dont call me a purist, ill stick briskets in the oven to finish.

I've got one. It is a quality product. It is all 1/4 inch steel (even the wheels!) unlike most of these type of smokers that are only 1/8. Get the Cimarron, you will not regret it. I still use mine. The 1/8 inch smokers that are the same type are garbage.

Thats not where i was going just responding to this

Burning charcoal as the main fuel in a stick burner just isnt the most practical setup for set it and forget it. So if you want sleep use another cooker. Besides its gonna burn way more fuel then a wsm (or his clone) or a drum.

Dont call me a purist, ill stick briskets in the oven to finish.

Quit being sensative! I'm just returning the casual troll job to one of our beloved casual trolls :laugh:

That was my first smoker, very solid but for me, it was a ton of work tending the temperature. I did mods including building a fire basket, and tuning plates, but it seemed like it needed constant tending to get steady temp. One weekend fishing trip a buddy brought his WSM. After taking off the baby backs, we sat out, ate, played cards and smoked cigars. I watched that WSM purr along at 225 for three more hours untouched. Bought my WSM the next week and never looked back. Just my experience.

I have one identical to the one in the OP and love it. From myn experience, it performs much better with wood than charcoal. Guess that's why it's called a stick burner.

Thanks for all the responses!:grin:
Well, based on feedback here and the price (north of 3 bills) I'm gonna go with a WSM.
I do like the idea of kicking back with a couple beverages tending a fire but its getting cold and I want to be setup to keep cooking thru the cold days ahead.
I also enjoy tinkering so looks like a UDS would be next on the list.
I do enjoy this site!!

Back