Thanks for the tips

CTBBQGUY

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
New member here, long time lurker. Wanted to check in and thank the community for all of the content. It made moving into low and slow cooking an easier transition.

For me, going with a Pellet grill and NG grill is the perfect combo (less time messing with fuel, more time cooking and drinking). I found my Rec Tec smoker on FB a few weeks ago and it's been a game changer for my backyard BBQ game. My first cooks with ribs and a pork butt were amazing. 2 goes at chicken thigh, meh, I'm struggling with getting the skin right.

I'd appreciate any tips from folks with a similar set up on how to incorporate the 2 in a cook. I want a crisp chicken skin that comes with a hard sear, but also want the smoke of low and slow. I love my ribeyes and am thinking about doing a reverse sear moving from the smoker to the grill but am hesitant. right now it takes me @ 8 minutes to cook a 2 inch ribeye with a great sear and perfect temp. I think raising the meat temp by smoking before searing would overcook the steak if left on long enough to get a nice crust. Thoughts or suggestions most welcome

Attachments

• 20200828_135408.jpg
    20200828_135408.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 88
So...I don't have a traeger but, I do have the same exact Rec Tec as you. I will reccomend their live feeds for cooks from the facebook page. I don't have fb but wife does. They are doing a spatcock chicken tomorrow evening. I think you can find all the vids from past still on their fb page. I did a play on Matt Pittmans brisket this weekend and one of my best. For the steaks you might want to consider some grill grates for your 680. You can get some of the smoke and an excellent sear at the same time.

I haven’t had the best luck with chicken on my RecTeq, but it comes out decent. I put a small amount of baking powder in the rub, smoke at 275. But the skin isn’t crispy, just not rubbery like smoking at lower temps.

As far as reverse searing steak, it takes a while. I wouldn’t do it on anything thinner than 1.5” steaks. Use the built in probes and pull the steak at 115 degrees or so. But I’m searing on cast iron, not a propane grill. There are propane broilers that excel at searing steaks. I’ve got one made by Northfire, but there are less expensive ones that look to be just as good.

qVCBRt7_d.jpg

This was reverse seared using my oven and a propane broiler, but the same thing would apply with the pellet grill.

#recteqlifestyle!
If I reverse sear my steak I put my CI skillet on my gas grill and crack it up to around 500*. This does a great job. Put the recteq on extreme smoke for 30-45 min then reverse sear it once it gets 115-120. As far as chicken skin, gotta get some high direct heat for that baby to get where you want it. Charcoal is the best way to go. Like several have said different tools for different jobs. Ready to see your cooks.

Back