MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:04 PM   #1
KORND4WG X
is Blowin Smoke!

Default M1 pork chops

Partial cook pics as I got distracted serving the fam

Butcher cut me some thick cut chops

They also had this but maybe next time

On the M1

Small fire using my minimal charcoal method

Nice clean smoke

Last pic as I had other stuff cooking. I pulled the chops at 135 and used my new sear box that I got in the BF deal. Turned out pretty good nice juicy med rare and a healthy char

Fam seemed to like them
KORND4WG X is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 12-04-2017, 07:22 AM   #2
PatAttack
somebody shut me the fark up.

Those chops look top notch!

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-04-2017, 10:26 AM   #3
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

Too bad you didn't get a plate shot. I bet they were awesome!

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2017, 12:48 PM   #4
KORND4WG X
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks for the comments guys, even without finished pics. I get a little embarrassed to snap a photo when people are gathered around

The searing box worked better than expected, I got nice char especially on the edges

Anyway for anyone interested in the M1 here’s the temp off my smoke therm for the 1hr cook - consistent with 1-2 stickers per hour (mine are small)

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-05-2017, 01:08 PM   #5
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

It looks like it kept pretty even temps for the cook. I really want one of these grills but just can't justify it at the moment. I have a smoker/grill addiction. LOL
70monte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2017, 09:56 PM   #6
KORND4WG X
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
It looks like it kept pretty even temps for the cook. I really want one of these grills but just can't justify it at the moment. I have a smoker/grill addiction. LOL
Yessir it does. Every time I use it I’m impressed how it allows a novice like myself to achieve a nice clean fire. Just had to figure out my split size.

I actually could not justify the purchase either so I just ended up buying it because I wanted it and no other reason

Old 12-06-2017, 01:11 AM   #7
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORND4WG X View Post
Yessir it does. Every time I use it I’m impressed how it allows a novice like myself to achieve a nice clean fire. Just had to figure out my split size.

I actually could not justify the purchase either so I just ended up buying it because I wanted it and no other reason
I'm sure that is what I will end up doing. Once I get it in my head that I want something, I usually break weak at some point and buy it.

I really need to get rid of some of the other cookers though because I live with my fiance' and she is not happy with all of the things I have. She doesn't understand why I need or have so many cookers. LOL.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:08 PM   #8
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

Have you ever tried smoking anything with just using lump or briquettes in the lower smoking box instead of wood?

Old 12-06-2017, 10:50 PM   #9
KORND4WG X
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Have you ever tried smoking anything with just using lump or briquettes in the lower smoking box instead of wood?
No i have not. In fact I’ve been reducing the amount of charcoal used to start my fire. I have an Open Range like you and now a Hunsaker drum so that’s what I save it for

Old 12-07-2017, 11:12 AM   #10
stangman327
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
No i have not. In fact I’ve been reducing the amount of charcoal used to start my fire. I have an Open Range like you and now a Hunsaker drum so that’s what I save it for

What are the benefits of reducing the amount of charcoal to start your fire?

M1
Hunsaker
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 propane smoker
Weber Genesis II LX S-340 Gas Grill w/iGrill probes
Lodge Cast iron sportsman's grill
Masterbuilt electric digital smoker
stangman327 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2017, 11:56 AM   #11
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Thanks. The reason I asked is that I really want to reduce the amount of grill/smokers I have and since I prefer to cook with charcoal, I was wanting to know if the M1 would full fill the task as both a grill and smoker using charcoal or lump and how long of a burn you could get on a full basket. I know Travis from M grills says you can use just charcoal or lump but that it's not that efficient. My Good One smokers work great but are not fuel efficient at all.

I love the adjustable grate system for grilling and have an older Hasty Bake that has that feature but like I said, I need to reduce the inventory a lot.

I really would like to get down to just one grill/smoker but that is probably not going to happen because I can't decide what to keep and what to get rid of.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:49 PM   #12
KORND4WG X
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangman327 View Post
What are the benefits of reducing the amount of charcoal to start your fire?
None for me really except I have more wood than charcoal at the moment

I figured as long as I could get up to temp and ok to feed it every hour that would work for me.

Quote:
Thanks. The reason I asked is that I really want to reduce the amount of grill/smokers I have and since I prefer to cook with charcoal, I was wanting to know if the M1 would full fill the task as both a grill and smoker using charcoal or lump and how long of a burn you could get on a full basket. I know Travis from M grills says you can use just charcoal or lump but that it's not that efficient. My Good One smokers work great but are not fuel efficient at all.

I love the adjustable grate system for grilling and have an older Hasty Bake that has that feature but like I said, I need to reduce the inventory a lot.

I really would like to get down to just one grill/smoker but that is probably not going to happen because I can't decide what to keep and what to get rid of.
I hear you 100%. The OR does go through charcoal so I only use it for short cooks - it’s really great for reverse searing.

This is the first time I’ve tried reverse searing on the M1 and I’m really pleased with the result, especially with the sear box but that might be confirmation bias

I have the HB as well and love it - no plan to get rid of it but honestly it’s redundant with the M1. BTW I’ve I’ve heard Travis say some are reporting 5-6hrs on a full basket of charcoal and a stick but I have never loaded it up like that because I am cheap so I can’t verify

Old 12-07-2017, 04:36 PM   #13
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
None for me really except I have more wood than charcoal at the moment

I figured as long as I could get up to temp and ok to feed it every hour that would work for me.

I hear you 100%. The OR does go through charcoal so I only use it for short cooks - it’s really great for reverse searing.

This is the first time I’ve tried reverse searing on the M1 and I’m really pleased with the result, especially with the sear box but that might be confirmation bias

I have the HB as well and love it - no plan to get rid of it but honestly it’s redundant with the M1. BTW I’ve I’ve heard Travis say some are reporting 5-6hrs on a full basket of charcoal and a stick but I have never loaded it up like that because I am cheap so I can’t verify
Thanks for the info. I just recently got the HB so I only have about three cooks on it but I do most of my grilling these days on either my PK classic or PK 360 and have reversed seared steak on both with great results. Most of my smoking is done on the OR with some small stuff on the PK 360. Both PK's are very fuel efficient but don't hold much. I'm only getting 5-6 hrs of smoking time on my OR so the difference there might not be much compared to the M1. To be honest though, I don't know if I could sell either or my Good One smokers since they are so easy to use. The fuel usage is really my only complaint.

I guess some day I may just break down and get the M1 and see what I think for myself and do some experimentation. Thanks again for the replies.

Wayne