MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-11-2021, 11:14 AM   #1
jhuyser
Full Fledged Farker

Default Insulated Cabinet Smoker

What is every ones opinion of best insulated cabinet smoker?? Want versatility and size as I plan on bbq competition with it and doing some catering etc on the weekends??
jhuyser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2021, 11:23 AM   #2
Porcine Perfection
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : ...

Love my battle box. Steady no frills cooker.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Old 05-11-2021, 11:24 AM   #3
K-Train
is One Chatty Farker

Humphreys battle box or any of their smokers really.
WSM 22.5
GMG Davy Crockett
K-Train is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2021, 11:37 AM   #4
jkief
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeffry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuyser View Post
What is every ones opinion of best insulated cabinet smoker?? Want versatility and size as I plan on bbq competition with it and doing some catering etc on the weekends??
I’ve looked hard at the Humphreys and Lonestar Grillz. T&K makes a nice cabinet as well.

Old 05-11-2021, 11:56 AM   #5
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

A lot of good choices with that style, compare shipping costs.
bschoen is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2021, 12:03 PM   #6
Chester
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chester

You've got a couple different uses in mind. For competition, excess weight can be a detriment. Moving around something that weight half a ton gets really cumbersome and old. Something like a Lonestar Grillz stabndard or even the Pee Wee, while excellent all around cabinet smokers, are just too darn heavy to move easily onto trailers etc. Sure, people have added pull cables to help hoist them onto a trailer, but something more manageable to wheel around by yourself is much better.

For size, I'd recommend getting two smaller lighter units than one larger unit. You'd get the added benefit of two units that you can set at different temperatures as well.

Humphreys Weekender series is actually really nice for competitors. Built heavy enough to last, but not so heavy that moving them is a pain. I really like the long weekender size. The previously mentioned Battle box is a good choice also.

Backwoods makes some decent models to check out also.

The Limo Jr. I have is really popular on the competition circuit for an insulated gravity fed model. Same rules apply to it, not too big, not to small.

Now the Lonestar Grillz cabinet smokers and larger Humphreys units are excellent smokers but I have seen many grow to hate something that weighs too much if they need to move them frequently. And yes, you can get a really nice cart that rolls smooth as glass on level surfaces, but trying to push that beast up a trailer ramp repeatedly is a completely different story.
UDS home made and ugly
Weber Genesis II SE 330
Breeo X 24
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2021, 12:25 PM   #7
cclinard1
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Chas

The Limo Jr moves around easily and has a lot of capacity. The upgraded wheels and grab bar help a lot. The LSG Mini even with off-road cart is going to be more difficult to move around.

Old 05-11-2021, 12:40 PM   #8
JeffinNE
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester View Post
You've got a couple different uses in mind. For competition, excess weight can be a detriment. Moving around something that weight half a ton gets really cumbersome and old. Something like a Lonestar Grillz stabndard or even the Pee Wee, while excellent all around cabinet smokers, are just too darn heavy to move easily onto trailers etc. Sure, people have added pull cables to help hoist them onto a trailer, but something more manageable to wheel around by yourself is much better.

For size, I'd recommend getting two smaller lighter units than one larger unit. You'd get the added benefit of two units that you can set at different temperatures as well.

Humphreys Weekender series is actually really nice for competitors. Built heavy enough to last, but not so heavy that moving them is a pain. I really like the long weekender size. The previously mentioned Battle box is a good choice also.

Backwoods makes some decent models to check out also.

The Limo Jr. I have is really popular on the competition circuit for an insulated gravity fed model. Same rules apply to it, not too big, not to small.

Now the Lonestar Grillz cabinet smokers and larger Humphreys units are excellent smokers but I have seen many grow to hate something that weighs too much if they need to move them frequently. And yes, you can get a really nice cart that rolls smooth as glass on level surfaces, but trying to push that beast up a trailer ramp repeatedly is a completely different story.
Great advice if you plan on moving around. While Lonestargrillz would be my choice, followed closely by Ironside Smokers, the weight is a definite issue. Getting two cookers for different cook temps also great advice.
JeffinNE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2021, 12:47 PM   #9
jhuyser
Full Fledged Farker

Anyone know much about Assassins 32 gravity fed?

Old 05-11-2021, 01:06 PM   #10
Stagg3r
Got Wood.

Quote:
Besides that it weighs 875 pounds? I would echo what the others are saying. Unless you are going to have that permanently mounted on a toy trailer or something to that effect, you are going to need a team of linebackers or mules to move that around for weekend events. I just had some experience with the much smaller Old Country Gravity smoker and, at 350 lbs it was too much for 2 guys (though I'm not that big) to move much more than up the single step on my porch. Up on a pickup? No chance. Up a ramp? Nope. The 32 is 2.5 times the weight. I would really consider the difference between being a great smoker and being suited to the task at hand.
Stagg3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2021, 01:17 PM   #11
jhuyser
Full Fledged Farker

It will be mounted on back of a trailer, so no unloading etc

Old 05-11-2021, 01:19 PM   #12
jhuyser
Full Fledged Farker

Also any thoughts on the Humphrey gravity fed smokers?

Old 05-11-2021, 01:32 PM   #13
PBrug
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

I bought a used Assassin 24 five years ago. Mostly do smaller family cooks but have loaded it with 90-100lbs of pork butts on occasion. I have zero complaints about my Assassin. IMO it produces excellent food with little to no babysitting. Is there some heat variation from bottom to top, back to front, sure, but you learn to work with it. I’ve never done an actual test, but it obviously runs hotter low in the back where the heat comes from. I use splits that just fit in the ash pan, instead of chunks, and most times 1 does the job so I can let it run unattended all night. Don’t know about other brands, but 100% happy with my Assassin.

Old 05-11-2021, 03:00 PM   #14
Chester
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chester

Quote:
It will be mounted on back of a trailer, so no unloading etc
In that case, yes go big. Assassin makes a great Gravity Feed unit. As does Southern Q, Stumps and Deep South (All made in Georgia). I looked at them all when I got my Limo Jr. You may still want to consider two smaller units. You can get 2 Limo Jr.'s for less than a 32, then you could cook at 2 temps. Or you can get one bigger unit like the Assassin 32 and add a can or two for other cooks. Lots of options with a trailer.

Another option would be a Southern Q water Cooker. That's what Scott Smith from Southern Q competes with, and he has won a ton of competitions using his water cooker for hot and fast BBQ's. They are quite impressive units.

I’d highly recommend contacting Scott Smith from Southern Q though. Their specialty is setting up competition trailers and concession trailers for BBQ. You can let him know what you are trying to do, and he can give his recomendations.
UDS home made and ugly
Weber Genesis II SE 330
Breeo X 24

Last edited by Chester; 05-11-2021 at 03:13 PM..
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2021, 03:24 PM   #15
onemanlan
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcine Perfection View Post
Love my battle box. Steady no frills cooker.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

The truth. Love my Humprhey's BB & cannot speak well enough about them. Built like a tank & keeps temp like one too. Good quality wheels as the default wheels. I fear less for the BB and more for anything else that might get in its way if it takes a roll.