A diamond in the rough

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Stopped by the local grocery store for a couple misc items for the wife (mainly an opportunity for a beer resupply). I made the obligatory pass through the meat cooler and found this gem. I normally don’t buy beef here because it’s usually pricey given the quality but I have made a couple scores over the past year. Paid $9.xx for tri tip, which I don’t normally buy and not at that price, but the marbling and color was so nice I couldn’t leave it there.

It doesn’t happen often, but hitting paydirt in the meat dept does leave me feeling good. Probably the nicest looking tri tip I’ve personally laid eyes on.

Being in CA, tri tip is readily available.

Costco has Prime tri tip here. I’ve cooked it many times.

It rarely looks that good.

Nice find!

That is a beautiful piece of meat. Also an excellent example of what a tri-tip should look like for those of you having trouble finding it in your area. The Costco near me has prime tips that are beautifully trimmed, but they want $9.99/lb for their trim jobs. Theirs look about the same as what you have there. I've actually gotten lucky a few times and found tips that look like that in a regular grocery store that are labeled as select and sell for half the price of Costco's.

That's wagyu tier there. Nice! Only thing close to that I've had was the SRF black tri tips.

I finally got around to cooking this the other day, turns out it was the best tri tip I've had before. I sprayed it with some Duck Fat Spray, seasoned with Oakridge BBQ Santa Maria seasoning, and then reverse seared on the Primo XL using some pecan chips for a dash of smoke. Got it to ~120* internal and then pulled it off the grill while I opened the intake and exhaust and brought it up to 500* to sear. 10 minutes later I seared both sides for a few minutes and then it was done. I grilled some asparagus and made some Instant Pot mashed taters.

I had a little less than half of it remaining in the fridge so thought I'd whip up some MSU action and ran to the store to get a baguette. I thinly sliced the cold remaining section of the tri tip into ~1/8" thick strips. The baguette went into the oven for a few minutes to cook, then I pulled it, sliced it down the middle, applied some Beaver brand horseradish sauce to the bun, layered the sliced tri tip on the bottom bun, then some Swiss cheese, and put it under the broiler for a few minutes. Made a quick au jus using Minor's concentrate and chowed down. It was really good as a "smoked tri tip French dip". Got enough left for one more sandwich. :becky:

Last edited:
Back