• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Is it even possible to bring in a 900lbs smoker to this place (video)

harrybbq

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hello friends
Last year our house burned down in CA, along with my beloved 20" Horizion Classic. The actual smoker looked fine, but the extreme heat must have slightly warped hinges or doors in a way that they got stuck and wouldn't move, so I ended up letting it go to the dump since I don't work metal.

Fast forward almost a year later, and we bought a new house, and now I am salivating for a 24" x 40" Lone Star Grills Offset (1/4 fire box). The entire thing weighs about 900 lbs.

Here is the issue. The house we're in has a killer bbq area already setup, with plenty of counter space, some build in webers (don't ask...), electricity, lights, and panoramic views. The problem is that I am not sure how I would place the smoker there.

The good news is that the path from the outside to the place I want it is down hills. The bad news is that there are some steps, all steps are down, except one.

I am adding a link to a video I just made of the path this thing would have to make to get where I want it. Is this impossible? Could I hire some 10 guys and do this, or is it a recipe for disaster?

https://youtu.be/v-hImwD8Y1A

Yes, it can be done. Check the width in that first area and make sure you have enough for the smoker. That would be the the only thing preventing you. Take your time on the stairs. You can get a rubber stall matt and cut it up a bit to fit the stairs to make the drops shorter and padded.

The last spot where you have to bring it up onto the triangular shaped step and then it drops off again could be a little tricky. I would suggest using some of the Lonestar shipping material to built the height up so you don't have to pick it up here onto the triangular step (around 16 seconds into the video). The crate bottom with plywood on top will probably work fine laying right here than you only have to make the left hand curve pushing and then drop, instead of lifting in a curve and then dropping again (if this makes sense).

The good thing about the path is it is all concrete. It will roll easy enough, and dont have to worry about a broken board or anything like that.

You do have an excellent view, so I see the draw in getting your smoker here. it ill be worth the effort I would imagine.

Last edited:
You can do it. A come-along, a jack, a willing friend who doesn't mind getting sweaty, and, of course, a case of beer. You need to identify your anchor points for the come-along.

I agree with this one. Although you might be able to get away with a growler of beer, if it is a good friend.:mrgreen:

I would do it for sure. As already mentioned a come along and straps and a buddy or two fit should be fine. Maybe a ramp to help u up some stairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just wanted to say that whole area looks like a great place to hang out. Jealous of the views and setup.

just get the bigger wheels on it and 1 guy in front 1 guy in back and it will prolly roll down.

I think you'll be good even with the smaller factory wheels. The first thing that impressed me with my lsg was how smooth it rolled. Also you can remove anything that will come out or off to shave some weight.

First of all, sorry about yer house, I can’t imagine...

Second... Do you need me to come move that for ya?

Going down is EASY!!!

Pretty sure I’m busy when you need to come back up though...

I wouldn't be afraid to do it with 3-4 strong friends to help. Also have a cooler of beer and that BGE going. You'd be amazed at what you can accomplish offering free beer and BBQ.

Can be done very easily with help. You first set of steps is only two risers high. And second set , though it has more steps they are double deep treads. One little step up. Just get a couple or 3 buddies.

My Shirley 24x36 weighs about 850+ lbs and I had to get it up onto my rear Patio that is about 18" above grade at its lowest point. It has a much wider base and ground clearance ...rear axle is 42" wide with 16" tires, front is about 24 with 8" pnuematic casters, than your LSG. I built 8' long ramps out of 2x12s, each 24" wide, and one of my neighbors brought over his hunting buggy with a winch. Two of us pushed while the winch pulled it up, it was still a lot of work. I paid each back with a whole smoked Pork Butt from my first cook.

If your LSG weighs in at 900#, there aren't many "friends", at least not mine, around who can lift 1/4 much less 1/3 of that weight to keep your cooker from getting away on the downhill steps or lift on the upside. Plus, there's a good chance its going to tip over or get all scratched up on the bottom when it gets dropped.

I'd build a ramp that is as long as your longest run of stairs with guiderails on the sides a little wider than the width of the outer wheels so it won't tip over as it goes down the ramp. With stairsteps to support it, you can probably get away with 1x6" or 1x8" supported underneath. May need a shorter ramp too. Move the ramp as you hit each flat space.

May be a one time use......but you likely will have spent close to $3K+ to get the cooker to you and the last thing you want is to have it tipping over as you try to get it up and down those steps/stairs.

Good Luck.....you'll still need all those friends and some hardware to get it in place, so put a big cooler of Beer on that patio to enjoy once its in place.

Last edited:
Make sure the dog is safely put away during the move.

Just line it up and give it a push, gravity will handle the rest!
I left early for lunch and put a mess of brats on the grill and had 4 of my co-workers over for lunch. Oh and while you guys are here could you help me put my 8 person spa in place?
Ed

Tried to edit my post above, but couldn't for some reason. If you don't want to build a ramp, these should work for you: https://www.harborfreight.com/1200-...ing-ramp-94057.html?_br_psugg_q=loading+ramps

We are reworking our back patio where the Shirley lives and I bought these to get Concrete, etc. up on the patio. Will get another set so I can get the Shirley off when its time for all the Paver brick to be installed.

First, very sorry to hear about your home. Can't even imagine what that must have been like! Glad you are OK.

Second, lovely new digs! The new cooker will look great in it's new spot!

RE: Can it be done? Looks like it. Would echo the above advice...get help, take some measurements to be sure your undercarriage will be able to clear the steps (and if not, figure a plan to address that), strap the cooker in so it can't (easily) get away from you.

Or, to be totally safe, you could always rent a crane and lift it over to the final landing spot. Will cost a good deal more than some pulled pork and beer if you get buddies to help, but it will get done safely and efficiently without putting anyone or anything at much risk.

Good luck! Can't wait to see pics of the cooker in it's final location, thin blue curling up into the heavens!

Bruce

Back