MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:19 PM   #1
willwillx
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : william
Default Gravity Fed Question

If the idea is using charcoal to smoke, does that mean it's likely to have less wood smoke on the meat..Unless you're out there every 45 mins adding a new piece of wood? I realize you can probably put some in the chute also along with the charcoal? I looked on youtube, and for the life of me, i can't find a video of someone using a gravity fed smoker, to show how to use it. I was leaning more towards a offset, because of well traditionalism, and whatnot, but then i got spooked out by the thought of having to baby sit it or tend to a fire every hour, when i have so many other responsibilities to tend to with my own business and a toddler. I do enjoy me some smoky Q. So i am a bit worried, about dropping 4 grand or more and then be like meh. Right now, i have no catering connections, so for now i am a backyard Q'er. Looking at deep south and also southern q units, and an eye on a offset or two rig.
willwillx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2018, 10:45 PM   #2
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

I mix Chunks in the Chute. Can get it settled in and Leave it for 16+ hours.....

Old 09-14-2018, 10:47 PM   #3
SmittyJonz

Look at a T&K Medium. https://www.stlbbqstore.com/t-k-gravity-feed-medium/

Old 09-14-2018, 11:34 PM   #4
willwillx
Knows what a fatty is.

After watching more and more video, it seems that based on how much wood you add, that's the level of smoke it'll get, otherwise you're just smoking with charcoal. So it seems almost like if you want a really high level of smoke flavor rivaling a offset, you'd need to mix a lot of wood in this, which is why i would love to see someone with a lot of experience describe how they did it. Like for an offset. Maybe i am ignorant, i just don't like to see this use of charcoal, why not just straight wood?

Old 09-15-2018, 12:00 AM   #5
wdbyrd
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willwillx View Post
After watching more and more video, it seems that based on how much wood you add, that's the level of smoke it'll get, otherwise you're just smoking with charcoal. So it seems almost like if you want a really high level of smoke flavor rivaling a offset, you'd need to mix a lot of wood in this, which is why i would love to see someone with a lot of experience describe how they did it. Like for an offset. Maybe i am ignorant, i just don't like to see this use of charcoal, why not just straight wood?
Well I just had an Gravity smoker built. I seasoned it and the wood chunk I put in the ash tray later a few hours. It was a large chunk. I will try a cook in a few days with wood mixed in the chimney....and put wood in the ash tray. I use lump coal. By the way smoke was pretty good. Thin and light blue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20180912-WA00000011.jpg (27.7 KB, 108 views)
wdbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2018, 12:04 AM   #6
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

It is a charcoal cooker. Lump might help. Can't see using 100% wood chunks though. Are you near anyone with a gravity feed? Maybe you can see one in action.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2018, 12:18 AM   #7
willwillx
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
It is a charcoal cooker. Lump might help. Can't see using 100% wood chunks though. Are you near anyone with a gravity feed? Maybe you can see one in action.

Using charcoal just seems unnatural to me. ugh! I go back and forth between stick or gravity. I just don't have the time to baby sit a offset, there is a good one i know that's available too. but 4k to baby sit doesn't sound fun to me, and i'd probably use it less. You have both, which one produces your best product?

Old 09-15-2018, 12:45 AM   #8
wdbyrd
Got Wood.

Quote:
Using charcoal just seems unnatural to me. ugh! I go back and forth between stick or gravity. I just don't have the time to baby sit a offset, there is a good one i know that's available too. but 4k to baby sit doesn't sound fun to me, and i'd probably use it less. You have both, which one produces your best product?
I have a stick burner that uses just logs, and a Japanese Kamado Manufactured in the 80's that mostly filled with a few hand hulls of jump and one log and they both produce great smoket bbq......people use Gravity smokers for competitions so um sure it does fine.
wdbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2018, 12:52 AM   #9
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I would eat que from a stick burner run by a competent pitmaster and que from a charcoal cooker and pick which one you like better. I personally prefer food cooked using a wood fire, but the juice has gotta be worth the squeeze for you. I'm not a fan of smokey food but theres something about food cooked using a clean burning wood fire that speaks to me.

Old 09-15-2018, 12:54 AM   #10
willwillx
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdbyrd View Post
I have a stick burner that uses just logs, and a Japanese Kamado Manufactured in the 80's that mostly filled with a few hand hulls of jump and one log and they both produce great smoket bbq......people use Gravity smokers for competitions so um sure it does fine.
I am sure they do :) It;s about the cook after all right? I think i've been getting out of hand with my wants. I think i can dial it back into the 3k range, maybe an assassin 28 or something, leave me a bit to get a smoke shack shed for it or something.

Old 09-15-2018, 12:57 AM   #11
willwillx
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
I would eat que from a stick burner run by a competent pitmaster and que from a charcoal cooker and pick which one you like better. I personally prefer food cooked using a wood fire, but the juice has gotta be worth the squeeze for you. I'm not a fan of smokey food but theres something about food cooked using a clean burning wood fire that speaks to me.
i'll have to see what's around my area, most of the places here in the tampa area, seem to use stick burners. With that being said, i am sure finding the perfect mix of wood and lump will produce amazing results. I don't have a lot of experience, so maybe i'll buy me a cheap stick burner on craigslist to try it out. They always have them on there for a few bills

Old 09-15-2018, 01:15 AM   #12
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Buying some "Home Depot special" cheap offset from craigslist and using that as your baseline as to whether or not a stick burner is for you is almost assuredly going to result in you deciding a stick burner is not for you. They're going to be harder to control temps and require more care and feeding so if you're already concerned about your responsibilities as a business owner and a parent not jiving with something that requires a fair bit of attention you are basically setting yourself up for failure with a cheap offset.

Do you have a smoker now? You could get a Weber Smokey Mountain for $300-400, add a temp controller for another $200, and have something thatll basically run itself for $500 bucks.

Old 09-15-2018, 06:02 AM   #13
SmittyJonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdbyrd View Post
Well I just had an Gravity smoker built. I seasoned it and the wood chunk I put in the ash tray later a few hours. It was a large chunk. I will try a cook in a few days with wood mixed in the chimney....and put wood in the ash tray. I use lump coal. By the way smoke was pretty good. Thin and light blue.
You will have to see, but Lump can Bridge/Wedge in the Chute becuase of the odd sizes. I Run KBB.........

Old 09-15-2018, 06:03 AM   #14
SmittyJonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
Buying some "Home Depot special" cheap offset from craigslist and using that as your baseline as to whether or not a stick burner is for you is almost assuredly going to result in you deciding a stick burner is not for you. They're going to be harder to control temps and require more care and feeding so if you're already concerned about your responsibilities as a business owner and a parent not jiving with something that requires a fair bit of attention you are basically setting yourself up for failure with a cheap offset.

Do you have a smoker now? You could get a Weber Smokey Mountain for $300-400, add a temp controller for another $200, and have something thatll basically run itself for $500 bucks.
BUT, ONCE you Master a Cheap Ass POS you can Cook on ANYTHING....... I've cooked on Many a POS...........

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=216205

Old 09-15-2018, 08:14 AM   #15
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
My offset produces better smoke flavor but it's not a cos. The GF is about 85% of the stick burner but i haven't used it a lot. My problem is way too many cookers. I can get closer I'm sure. With my insulated cabinet i can get 90-95% of the stick burner.

SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote