MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:41 AM   #1
Whitewookie
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Oakridge Carne Crosta question

Question for you guy who use the Carne Crosta. Generally speaking, how far in advance do you season your steaks?

I usually dry brine for a couple hours beforehand, then add cracked black pepper when cooking.
I just don’t want to overdo it with the Carne Crosta.

So what say ye learned gentlemen, right before or ahead of time?

Got a couple nice ribeyes and plan on using a sample pack of Carne Crosta I recently received.

Also, do you pre-salt, or is it salty enough?

VR,
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 09-16-2018, 12:10 PM   #2
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The instructions on the package say to season 30 minutes ahead I believe. I usually do somewhere about that...really just until the rub has sweat onto the meat. I've used salt and no salt with CC, I prefer to add some salt to it but it has plenty of flavor without it. If I salt I do CC first salt on top. The times I've salted first I feel like the CC doesn't adhere to the meat as well.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-16-2018, 12:16 PM   #3
Whitewookie
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
The instructions on the package say to season 30 minutes ahead I believe. I usually do somewhere about that...really just until the rub has sweat onto the meat. I've used salt and no salt with CC, I prefer to add some salt to it but it has plenty of flavor without it. If I salt I do CC first salt on top. The times I've salted first I feel like the CC doesn't adhere to the meat as well.

Thanks for your input. Very helpful since the sample pack doesn’t have any instructions.

VR,
Harold

Old 09-16-2018, 12:18 PM   #4
ShadowDriver
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marc

I do same same as above.

If you happen to have some Santa Maria, I also highly recommend a 50/50 mix with the Carne Crosta for a future experiment. It's delicious.
[B]Hardware[/B] - Weber 22.5 Kettle (Sep '16), OK Joe Longhorn (Mar '17), UUNI 3 Pizza Oven (Jan '18 ), Blue Rhino Razor Griddle (May '19), Cajun Bandit 22.5 Roti (Aug '20), Weber 26.75 Kettle (Dec '20)
ShadowDriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2018, 01:36 PM   #5
Whitewookie
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDriver View Post
I do same same as above.

If you happen to have some Santa Maria, I also highly recommend a 50/50 mix with the Carne Crosta for a future experiment. It's delicious.

I plan on getting some of the Santa Maria to try also...

Thanks.

VR,
Harold

Old 09-16-2018, 06:32 PM   #6
scp
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Barry

I have only done one CC steak cook so far...I thought it would benefit from a lil salt...so next time...I think a lil Q-salt on top the CC.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:02 PM   #7
bgross88
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : B

I just did my 1st cook with CC and I dry brined with kosher salt for a few hours. Applied EVOO and the CC about 45 mins before cooking.

I have a thread from yesterday that I'm going to post pics in, so I don't hi-jack yours.