The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:18 AM   #1
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!
Default Pork Picnic roast... Skin on

I have ever since I started cooking bbq loved the pork picnic roast. It is my favorite cheap cut of pork. I always skin the pork and cook skin seperate or toss it. I was thinking they cook whole hog with skin on so why not a picnic roast?
So today I am going to leave it skin on. Skipping the injection. Pan cooking because I have room. I think I will rub using the Slabs Perk Up Your Pork. Its a good rub.
Hopefully it turns out good. Once pulled I think I will use the pulled pork for nachos!
Rusty Kettle is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-16-2018, 08:29 AM   #2
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

Rubbed and ready to go. Skin side down in the pan.
Apple wood and Cherry wood for smoke. Just getting the 270 Smokers Sumo to temp. I think I will get an apple pie ready to bake for dinner.
Rusty Kettle is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-16-2018, 08:57 AM   #3
farmer-fred
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Tom

I'm in for some of that. For the pie you just gotta get some ice cream to go with it. Good luck with the cook. I did a 8 lb pork butt last week and I have to say it was some of the best I have ever tasted. I will have to try one with the skin on next time. Thanks for posting and we want to some pics of the finished cook.
Weber Performer Premium Copper with Vortex Cone & homemade rotisserie ring, Weber Smokey Joe, Trail Embers Triple Function Smoker with Hunsaker Vortex Fire Basket, Kitchen Aid Stainless Gasser, Q-Master Senior Temp Controller, Inkbird IRF-2S Digital Thermometer.
farmer-fred is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2018, 09:15 AM   #4
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I like the slightly different muscles in the picnic too, some of the meat is darker and has a different texture than some muscles in the butt end. When doing whole shoulders I leave the skin on the picnic end. Partially for protection from the heat since the meat tapers on the shank end, but also protection from drying out because I inject as much as I can get into the picnic. So if you are used to removing the skin, you might be pleasantly surprised at this roast.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote