MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:46 PM   #46
casonso
Got Wood.

I'll chime in on the rec tec. It's not the bull or stampede but I've owned the 680 for 4 years and I also own the mini. I really like them both but use the 680 almost exclusively unless I'm camping. I've put a lot of hours on the 680 in that time and it's been pretty much flawless. I did have an ignitor rod go out last year but had a new one in 2 days and they have a work around to use the smoker without it until I got the new one. The food is always consistent. If you want more smoke turn temp down below 250 and use Xtreme smoke mode for a couple hours. higher temps do have a less smoky flavor but it's still there. I've honestly not used any other pellet cooker. feel free to ask any questions you might have. I doubt you could really go wrong with any of the options you're looking at.
casonso is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-07-2018, 12:41 AM   #47
Texaswig
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I thought i had my mind made up on the yoder ys640. now you got me looking at the blazin grill.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:43 AM   #48
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

Don't forget the Assassin Smoker. I'm really leaning towards replacing my Pit Boss with that guy.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=260892

Edit-I do agree with the points about the cheaper smokers. I bought mine (PitBoss) because I'm really awesome at going full tilt into something, and then bailing on it just as fast. She was okay with buying a cheaper unit, so we could see if I would even stick with it. A year later, she has admitted that I use it enough to justify a more expensive one. I have had a few problems with mine, but I also jacked with it a LOT by trying to put in the $200+ upgraded controller, etc. I'm not sure if my problems were self induced, or just inevitable. I'm leaning towards personally being the cause of those problems.

Last edited by TravelingJ; 07-07-2018 at 12:53 AM..
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2018, 09:05 AM   #49
RemoGaggi
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : RemoGaggi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
Which leaves me with 2 categories :

High End (for me): picks would be a Mak 1 Star or a Blazin Grill Works Grand Slam or Grid Iron.

Mid Grade: 1st pick RecTec Stampede or Bull. -Better controller, stainless burn pot, shield, grease pan and grates. And their Customer Service Ranks High
2nd pick: Green Mountain Jim Bowie.
I currently have a Mak 1 and GMG Davy Crockett. I had a Jim Bowie for years and sold it last year. Although the customer service at GMG is great, the Jim Bowie (for me) was not. I wanted to love the JB, but in the end, it just wasn't a good cooker. I know it's kinda comparing apples and oranges, but the MAK 1 produces far superior food every time than the JB ever did. Even the little Davey Crockett produces better food than the JB. (Note, the DC is exponentially better now if you replace the the crappy 2-piece drip tray with the solid 1-piece drip tray that is now available).

Old 07-07-2018, 10:46 AM   #50
SmokePigTails
Knows what a fatty is.

YS640 sold me with the offset fire pot and fit and finish. That fire pot location and size just gives you more options for both cooking and smoking.
SmokePigTails is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-07-2018, 11:06 AM   #51
lkissell
On the road to being a farker

Another vote for the Rec Tec line. The new ones have lots of stainless, including a stainless cook chamber. Plus WiFi, 2 meat probes, a six-year warranty and great customer service. I believe it is the best option at the price point, and a really good option no matter what the cost.

I had always been a charcoal and wood chunk guy, but since I got my Rec Tec (older model), it's almost all I use for smoking / long cooks. I still use the Egg for grilling, and the PBC for chicken, but the Rec Tec is the work horse. It's easy to use, and my family prefers the food off of it.

The others mentioned are all great options as well, but the Rec Tec is the best value in my opinion, and is the least expensive high quality pellet grill on the market.

Good luck acquiring the needed funds, and picking a cooker!
Hunsaker Drum
lkissell is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 07-08-2018, 10:40 AM   #52
slap1914
Got Wood.

Quote:
Thanks to you Farkers I’ve been eyeballing Poopers on InterWeb, YouTube and Pellet People Forums and have come to some Conclusions.......These are Smitty Conclusions - yours may vary.........

First what I consider Top Tier High End are Out - like Memphis n others are Out. Too High $.
Second - Lower End is Out. Seen too many people replacing controllers on PitBoss, Camp Chef and others due to Large temp swings ( up to 100*), temp overshoots and flame outs. They are replacing them with $200+ PID controllers
And these grills use little to No stainless.

High End (for me): picks would be a Mak 1 Star or a Blazin Grill Works Grand Slam or Grid Iron.

Mid Grade: 1st pick RecTec Stampede or Bull. -Better controller, stainless burn pot, shield, grease pan and grates. And their Customer Service Ranks High

There’re are a couple others that would fall into those two groups but I don’t like them for one reason or another - some I just don’t like how they Look.

So OverAll if I Bumped my Head and went Goofey - I would order a RecTec Stampede with optional top grate and exhaust Vents . $988 to my Door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJoDZIC3KDM&app=desktop

Now let’s get back to Gravity Fed and Insulated Cabinet talks.......
Don't knock the low end pellet cookers. I got a Pit Boss at closeout price from Wally World. Threw in a savahhana stoker PID and now I have a great little cooker for under $300.

I wasn't sure if I would like pellet cooking so I didn't want to spend a lot of money. It turned out to be a great weeknight cooker. I plan to upgrade to a Smoking Brothers 36.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:42 AM   #53
s4alex
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Alex

Well, I am new to the smoker biz, but so far have gone through 2. Don’t hate me, but both are from... Costco.

First was the LG with the cold smoke attachment. Had to return it twice. First was for a defective auger motor or board. It jammed and caused a little backflow and smoke and fire. Costco swapped out the hooper box and back to cooking. Wife was a bit put off and saw the Traeger at the store doing a roadshow. She needed up “asking” me to get the Traeger. So, back went the LG and home came the Traeger 34 century.

I initially had weird temps. Called up Traeger and had the send me a new RTD sensor probe. That was the ticket. Fired it up and laid out 6 temp probes all around all all came back within 5’ difference of the RTD.

So, along with my Weber 22, loving the pellet pooper.even if it is a Traeger.
s4alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2018, 02:38 PM   #54
Clay-b-que
is One Chatty Farker

Man that Rec Tec stampede is really tempting for a unit under 1k. I guess I will start saving because I could be smoking today (can’t because of the fire ban). Thanks for the research Smitty! Any others under 1k worth looking at?

Old 07-08-2018, 02:47 PM   #55
Clay-b-que
is One Chatty Farker

Default Smitty’s Pellet Pooper Ponderings

Just found this. I wonder what temps it will hold in a UDS (the gauges in the pic show about 275 but don’t know if that is true or not) I could make a conversion so that it could smoke with pellets or take it out and close the door and smoke with charcoal!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 07-08-2018, 02:49 PM   #56
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay-b-que View Post
Man that Rec Tec stampede is really tempting for a unit under 1k. I guess I will start saving because I could be smoking today (can’t because of the fire ban). Thanks for the research Smitty! Any others under 1k worth looking at?
RecTec and Green Mountain. Others can have controller issues and the Heat shields n drip pans (maybe even the burnpots) aren't stainless so burn thru/rust out faster........

Green Mountain uses Digital instead of PID ? -but haven’t seen much issues on their controllers lately. Seen some issues 2015-16 of controllers being replaced under warranty pretty regular.... EDIT: Green Mountains manual says PID per JoshW

Grilla Grills Silverback maybe........it has Digital instead of PID - I also think their name is Dumb....LOL

All the controller swaps people do on the cheap units they go to PID. Some say not needed that a Good digital controller is Fine.? I’m thinking I want PID.

https://store.grillagrills.com/produ...erbac-b-series

Does the Silverbac or Grilla feature a PID controller?
No, because we don’t believe it adds value to the smoking process. Our research and experience is posted in the middle of this page: Grilla Grills vs. Traeger & Rectec Grills.

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 07-08-2018 at 05:09 PM..
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2018, 02:57 PM   #57
Clay-b-que
is One Chatty Farker

Even better!!!

https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/pe...onversion-kit/

Old 07-08-2018, 03:00 PM   #58
SmittyJonz

I think a UDS Pooper would work but I don't want One for the Same reasons I got rid of my UDS.......I like Cabinet or Grill style better for Access.......

Old 07-08-2018, 03:03 PM   #59
Clay-b-que
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I think a UDS Pooper would work but I don't want One for the Same reasons I got rid of my UDS.......I like Cabinet or Grill style better for Access.......
Yeah, I bet grilling on the UPS (ugly pellet smoker) probably wouldn’t work...but this is an option that is half the price of the others.

Old 07-08-2018, 03:05 PM   #60
SmittyJonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay-b-que View Post
Yeah, I bet grilling on the UPS (ugly pellet smoker) probably wouldn’t work...but this is an option that is half the price of the others.
if you wanted to try a Cheaper One I'd try a PitBoss Austin but you may end up putting a Savanah or Smoke Daddy PID controller on it ($200).......

Quote:
Originally Posted by slap1914 View Post
Don't knock the low end pellet cookers. I got a Pit Boss at closeout price from Wally World. Threw in a savahhana stoker PID and now I have a great little cooker for under $300.

I wasn't sure if I would like pellet cooking so I didn't want to spend a lot of money. It turned out to be a great weeknight cooker. I plan to upgrade to a Smoking Brothers 36.
Quote:
Thanks to you Farkers I’ve been eyeballing Poopers on InterWeb, YouTube and Pellet People Forums and have come to some Conclusions.......These are Smitty Conclusions - yours may vary.........

Second - Lower End is Out. Seen too many people replacing controllers on PitBoss, Camp Chef and others due to Large temp swings ( up to 100*), temp overshoots and flame outs. They are replacing them with $200+ PID controllers
And these grills use little to No stainless.

of course I have No experience with Any of them but I been Looking, Reading, Watching about them for last cpl weeks.......