Smoke stack location/height

revkab

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I am having a towable offset smoker built for me and have a couple of questions on smoke stacks. The "oven" portion of the smoker will be about 40" diameter x about 60" long.

1) Where should I have the inlet of the smoker placed height wise? At the top, near the cooking grate level, lower?

2) If I place the inlet height near the height of the cooking grates, what about if I drilled several 1" - 1 1/2" holes near the top?

3) I will most likely be using 4" diameter pipe for the smoke stack. How high above the top of the oven should I terminate the smokestack?

Thanks!

I am having a towable offset smoker built for me and have a couple of questions on smoke stacks. The "oven" portion of the smoker will be about 40" diameter x about 60" long.

1) Where should I have the inlet of the smoker placed height wise? At the top, near the cooking grate level, lower?

2) If I place the inlet height near the height of the cooking grates, what about if I drilled several 1" - 1 1/2" holes near the top?

3) I will most likely be using 4" diameter pipe for the smoke stack. How high above the top of the oven should I terminate the smokestack?

Thanks!

1. Grate level
2. What's the purpose of the holes ?
3. Use 6", probably about 5-6 ft long. You better have a big firebox with plenty of air intake to feed the fire you're going to need to heat that pit.

Since I am so new (and learning), what is the rational for placing the inlet of the smokestack at the grate level, rather than up high? And I asked about drilling holes up high because I was not sure if I needed to have some way to exhaust any of the air in the top of the pit.

Checking on the size of the firebox. Looked pretty big to me, but ......

1. Grate level
2. What's the purpose of the holes ?
3. Use 6", probably about 5-6 ft long. You better have a big firebox with plenty of air intake to feed the fire you're going to need to heat that pit.

There seems to be two schools of thoughts on the pipe placement, I decided to place mine at the very top so it would not create stale smoke in the cooking chamber, the downside, my pit burns more wood, but IMO, it was worth it. I figured when we were building the pit if I was not happy with the current pipe placement it would be easier to weld an extension on, compared to cutting of any extra if we placed it at grate level.

Back