MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:11 AM   #1
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete
Default My T&K Small Gravity Feed Review

After speaking with Todd at T&K and then with Louis at the St Louis BBQ Store I pulled the trigger on the small gravity feed the St Louis BBQ Store had in stock. Shipping was very reasonable and the crating they do is almost too good. The best part is that the crate was put together with screws. No sawzall or crowbar required. They also included detailed instructions on how to get the top off the crate via 8 screws so it could be inspected for damage before the delivery driver could have time to leave. Also included were your rights as the recipient and what the driver could and could not do based on the condition of the crate. I don’t know if other builders do this but it sure was helpful to know.

It arrived Monday with no damage and all I had time to do was run home inspect the cooker and then run back to work. When I got home I slowly removed the cooker from the crate. A couple of the screws were really tight but other than that it was no issue at all. The cooker feels really sturdy and well built. The paint is some special ceramic high heat stuff and it shines brightly. I wiped it out then used my ash vac to get the dust and residue that was still in the crevices. It took a whole can of Pam to get her oiled and rubbed down.

Sucks to have your new toy delivered Monday of a week when you can't get off early even 1 day.

Todd and the St Louis BBQ Store are the best to work with. Really easy to order and pay. They crated the same day and shipped the next. They both answered all my questions in a reasonable amount of time. This little cooker is very solid. It's got a lot of weight but it moves around very easily. I bought one they had in stock. The 1"insulation is not too bad but you can get thicker if you want. The St Lous BBQ Store's shipping is reasonable and they crate it very well. T&K's welds are nice. I was concerned as in some of the videos they looked a little rough but that may just be the video or how I see things after owning a shirley.

I was going to get a red or boring black one but I didn’t want to listen to smitty again.

Tuesday: Did a slow seasoning. Bottom rack is 25 degrees hotter than the top once it settles but they are pretty even side to side. From the biscuit test I couldn't tell any difference from biscuits on the same rack. My RF cabinet is 15-20 degrees different on top and bottom racks but it's much bigger so I'm not too concerned about 25 in the little gf. It's much better than 50-100 I've heard from other GF owners. I have not tried using water in the pan. I didn't care for how ro lump smelled in this cooker. I didn't use an atc to stoke the fire. Did the fatty before i shut it down and it was a little too smokey from the way the ro burned.

Saturday: Did my first real cook. It ran a whole lot cleaner with an all natural briq. I didn't measure the charcoal but I'm guessing a pound or less per hour. The outside of the cabinet gets 140-200 running at 325 with 1" of insulation. The area around the fb door is over 400 but that is probably the same for all GF cookers, right? I'm used to touchable temps with 2" in my cabinet smoker. It responds faster than my cabinet to intake adjustments. It starts going up or down within 5 minutes. My cabinet cannot go down 1 degree in under 30 minutes. Got a big ring on my pork ribs with only a few small pecan chunks. I'm guessing I wasted a lot of fuel getting up to temp. Probably would be smart to preheat the cc with my weed burner. Found out it comes up to temp quicker with the fb door open...duh. took under an hour to get up to temp by starting it with my small torch for 60 seconds and 2 starter cubes in the ash pan. had the ribs in a pan on the top rack. That made the bottom and middle racks run within 5 degrees the rest of the time...seemed odd to me. Opening the door results in a drop in temp for 5-10 minutes. I've only done 1 cook but I'm getting it figured out. Temps pretty much stay where you set the ball valve and it is super responsive to adjustments. Don't see a need so far for an ATC. Almost forgot, the paint color is called Chevy grey and it is really, really nice. Very happy so far.

Sorry for the long-winded post but I am a little excited.

Took a few pics...

Front 2.jpg

Ash Pan.jpg

Back Close Up.jpg

Charcoal Grate.jpg

Chute 1.jpg

Crate.jpg

Crate Inside.jpg

Crate Wheels.jpg

Exhaust.jpg

Firebox.jpg

Front Open 1.jpg

Intake Ball Valve.jpg

Side 1.jpg

Top 1.jpg
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2017, 12:20 AM   #2
KORND4WG X
is Blowin Smoke!

Congrats! Excellent write up and pictures
KORND4WG X is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-30-2017, 12:37 AM   #3
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Very nice, do they use beads or lump charcoal?

Old 07-30-2017, 12:57 AM   #4
pjtexas1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORND4WG X View Post
Congrats! Excellent write up and pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titch View Post
Very nice, do they use beads or lump charcoal?
Thanks guys. They recommend lump but the ro I have just didn't work. I don't know if it has absorbed moisture or just operator error. I had much better results with HEB grand champion briquettes. I didn't have another lump to try.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])

Old 07-30-2017, 03:17 AM   #5
rcw320
On the road to being a farker

That's a great looking cooker.

I've been following T&K on Facebook for quite a while, that guy makes some cool smokers at what seems to be a great price.
rcw320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2017, 03:20 AM   #6
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

I think i need pictures of what you call lump or RO
enjoy your toy mate

Old 07-30-2017, 06:25 AM   #7
Smoking Piney

Name/Nickname : John

That's a sharp looking pit.

Love that diamond plate on top.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2017, 06:42 AM   #8
Stingerhook

Name/Nickname : Marty

Congrats on a fine new cooker Paul.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2017, 07:34 AM   #9
sniperfx
Full Fledged Farker

I just want you to know, that have personally hugged that smoker twice. Had I not opted for the Humphrey's Pint, I would have purchased that one. I needed a smoker that was more portable for comps.. You did great!! Congrats!!! That thing is a beast

Old 07-30-2017, 07:38 AM   #10
Rhino99
Got Wood.

I have a medium gravity feed from T&K and I have also had poor results with ro lump in mine. I stick to Stubbs briquettes as I cannot get the lump to burn clean. Always get heavy white smoke that results in greasy black film on some of the food and an off flavor to me.
Rhino99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2017, 08:09 AM   #11
Smokeymagoo

I really like the looks of that smoker, Congrats.
Smokeymagoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2017, 08:59 AM   #12
mcyork28
Babbling Farker

Congrats and thanks for the review. I have been keeping my eye on them.
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2017, 09:39 AM   #13
localyocal

Name/Nickname : Brad

That's an awesome review. As you know I'm considering this line of smokers for competitions. Please keep us updated as you continue to tinker with it more.

Thanks again, that's one sweet looking rig.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:12 AM   #14
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Is it going to make a road trip to the November bash?

Old 07-30-2017, 10:44 AM   #15
pjtexas1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcw320 View Post
That's a great looking cooker.

I've been following T&K on Facebook for quite a while, that guy makes some cool smokers at what seems to be a great price.
He's a laid back guy and he competes so I kinda thought he would know a little about making a cooker that works properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titch View Post
I think i need pictures of what you call lump or RO
enjoy your toy mate
download.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingerhook View Post
Congrats on a fine new cooker Paul.
Thanks! After staring at it all week I'm really liking the design/shape and the paint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking Piney View Post
That's a sharp looking pit.

Love that diamond plate on top.
I wasn't sure about the diamond plate at first but they said that they add it because you always end up placing stuff on top and it eventually gets scratched all up. I'm sold now as it can be replaced and it's growing on me.

Last edited by pjtexas1; 07-30-2017 at 11:20 AM..