• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Which Kettle

Rib Rub

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Hey guys.
I have been looking for a Charcoal grill smoker for the last year. I have looked at everything from a cabinet, ceramic to a gravity fed, I cannot make up my mind, so I think I am going to get a Kettle for the summer and add the Slow&Sear along with the Vortex.

My question is, which one? I seen Weber has a slew of them. Will be used for long cooks as well as a quick burger or steak and would like something very durable. Not sure if there are any other decent brands to look at or not. Mostly see Webers on here. Any help would be appreciated.

I have cooked on many charcoal grills and kamados over the years... some being really nice and $$$. Out of all of them, the 26.75 kettle has been my overall favorite. It has size, it is simple, it is easy to clean, it is rugged and long lasting and it just flat out cooks! For $300ish plus a few add-on’s... IMO, it’s a no brainer. Some will say that they love and prefer the work area that the Performers provide. Hard to argue with that. Here’s my solution though and it works great.

Sits right next to my kettle:
TRINITY EcoStorage Stainless Steel Table - 24" x 24" x 35” - NSF https://www.costco.com/TRINITY-EcoS...-24"-x-24"-x-35”---NSF.product.100036154.html

I would go with the 26. It gets the most use for me. I can do 3 racks of back ribs or 10 lb chicken leg quarters. Those won't (easily) fit on a 22. If you think you'll do a lot of smaller cooks then look for a 22 on CL. (IOW buy both. :mrgreen: )

I have cooked on many charcoal grills and kamados over the years... some being really nice and $$$. Out of all of them, the 26.75 kettle has been my overall favorite. It has size, it is simple, it is easy to clean, it is rugged and long lasting and it just flat out cooks! For $300ish plus a few add-on’s... IMO, it’s a no brainer. Some will say that they love and prefer the work area that the Performers provide. Hard to argue with that. Here’s my solution though and it works great.

Sits right next to my kettle:
TRINITY EcoStorage Stainless Steel Table - 24" x 24" x 35” - NSF https://www.costco.com/TRINITY-EcoS...-24"-x-24"-x-35”---NSF.product.100036154.html
I have seen the 26 mentioned allot. I have to run up to Home Depot in a bit. If they happen to have a 26, I will grab it. I can kick myself because last summer they had a special Red Weber for $99 bucks, was marked down. I should have grabbed it. Would have been something to start on.

I would go with the 26. It gets the most use for me. I can do 3 racks of back ribs or 10 lb chicken leg quarters. Those won't (easily) fit on a 22. If you think you'll do a lot of smaller cooks then look for a 22 on CL. (IOW buy both. :mrgreen: )
Yeah, the 26 looks to be the one. It will probably be 50/50 on slow and quick. I have the pit barrel, but for it has been hard to dial in. Still working out the bugs, but I love the flavor of ribs off the pit barrel. Be fun to compare the two. Also want to do some chicken with the vortex.

Just a side note. I went a bit bonkers when I bought my 26 kettle last year. With it, I added the SnS XL, SnS extended grate, medium Vortex along w/ a full set of GrillGrates. Because I primarily use my kettle for grilling, my most used accessory has been the full set of GG’s. I love grilling semi-direct (GG style) over the fire vs 2 zone cooking. 1) I can utilize the entire grill surface which allows me to cook way more food at once 2) By cooking directly over the fire the entire time, that means a constant dripping of “flavor bombs” into the fire which of course means more flavor :)

I have seen the 26 mentioned allot. I have to run up to Home Depot in a bit. If they happen to have a 26, I will grab it. I can kick myself because last summer they had a special Red Weber for $99 bucks, was marked down. I should have grabbed it. Would have been something to start on.

Despite not needing a 22, I too kick myself for not getting in on closeout

It is just the two of us 99% of the time so I got a 22.5 Weber. For many the 26 inch is the better option. Regardless, get the SlowNSear and a Vortex. They turn the Webers into even more amazing cooking machines.

I have a 22 and a 26. Not even sure where the 22 is these days, because I use the 26 every time (and there are only 2 of us). Another plus of the 26 is that you can smoke a full packer on it if the need strikes.

get a vortex
i just use firebricks for two zone cooking
use the snake method for smoking
can run a kettle from 225-600degrees

I ran to Home Depot and Lowes. They only had 22’s. They had a 22” Master Touch though. Lowes had some other stuff. They had a Joe Barrel and some Akorns. I am going over to my Ace on the Island tomorrow. I hate going to that ACE because they have an incredible BBQ department. I always spend some money in there. Hopefully they have a 26.

I ran to Home Depot and Lowes. They only had 22’s. They had a 22” Master Touch though. Lowes had some other stuff. They had a Joe Barrel and some Akorns. I am going over to my Ace on the Island tomorrow. I hate going to that ACE because they have an incredible BBQ department. I always spend some money in there. Hopefully they have a 26.

Good to know. Will have to check it out next time I'm down there. I'd assume you're talking about Swain's?

My 22" Premium has become my favorite grill to cook on at home. Check Facebook marketplace for deals.

Good to know. Will have to check it out next time I'm down there. I'd assume you're talking about Swain's?

My 22" Premium has become my favorite grill to cook on at home. Check Facebook marketplace for deals.
Haha, I forgot you are around this area also. I was talking to Shadow and he lives here also.

There is an Ace in Stone Harbor, of all places for an Ace. On the second floor they have a great BBQ section. All kinds of grills, parts and accessory’s. Not sure about Swains, I have not been in there in years. I stop in the SH store when I have business over there.

Back