MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:04 PM   #1681
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDelage View Post
Is there any problem replenishing the bricks during the cook? I.e., topping off the basket with fresh bricks while the fire is still going?
No there isn't, just fill a chimney wait till the fire is half lit then dump it in.

Feel free to put a couple wood chunks in with the charcoal if you like.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 11-12-2015, 11:09 PM   #1682
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDelage View Post
Is there any problem replenishing the bricks during the cook? I.e., topping off the basket with fresh bricks while the fire is still going?
Not at all. Just in case you feel you need more briqs, pour some in a charcoal chimney, get it going and dump it in so you don't have to worry about the nasty starter smoke. At that point the brisket would've soaked up all the smoke already or probably wrapped (if you're going to wrap) so either way will work. I personally wouldn't want the thick starter smoke even layering itself on the surface of the brisket if it's unwrapped. Obviously you'll remove the brisket before you put the coals in so you should be fine but if you don't want the brisket laying around until your fresh coals ash over then use a chimney.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2015, 11:29 PM   #1683
ssv3

Ok guys,

I googled and found a guy "hanging" an 18lb er. He seemed to have trimmed it down but its still look to be pretty big hunk of meat. 18lb er trimmed and he posted a total cook time of 5 hours 40 mins and NO CRUTCH.

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=1936.0
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:38 AM   #1684
bradymartin
Banned

mine should arrive within 5 business days i think. but i ordered it yesterday. got the ash pan and hinge grate with it.

after reading more i see people have trouble with crispy skin on their chickens but not on turkeys. im assuming because turkeys take longer to cook so the skin has extra time to crisp up?

anyway i feel like a big load off my back finally making the decision.

$345 for this metal barrel shiny thing and some extra metal parts. im expecting at the very least decent results.
bradymartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-13-2015, 05:57 AM   #1685
SimcoBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post
mine should arrive within 5 business days i think. but i ordered it yesterday. got the ash pan and hinge grate with it.

after reading more i see people have trouble with crispy skin on their chickens but not on turkeys. im assuming because turkeys take longer to cook so the skin has extra time to crisp up?

$345 for this metal barrel shiny thing and some extra metal parts. im expecting at the very least decent results.
Congrats! And remember to have fun!

Old 11-13-2015, 07:04 AM   #1686
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Quote:

I would bet those who aren't getting crispy skin aren't monitoring the temp of the PBC. If you don't monitor, just crack the lid about an inch for the last 15-20 min. If you do monitor temps, try and cook at about 300° until almost done and again, crack the lid to ramp up the temperature to about 350-400° for the last 10-15 min.
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2015, 08:16 AM   #1687
JDelage
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
Ok guys,

I googled and found a guy "hanging" an 18lb er. He seemed to have trimmed it down but its still look to be pretty big hunk of meat. 18lb er trimmed and he posted a total cook time of 5 hours 40 mins and NO CRUTCH.

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=1936.0
Very useful, thank you.
JDelage is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2015, 09:13 AM   #1688
ssv3

Quote:

You should get it today latest tomorrow. They expanded to Cali and they have a place in Corona so we get them next day. I had two shipped to me recently and each arrived the next day of the order date.
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Old 11-13-2015, 10:15 AM   #1689
slap1914
Got Wood.

Another new PBC cook here.

So far I have two cooks completed. First cook was 2 racks of St Louis spares and 4 whole chickens. Second cook was a boneless pork roast and a tri tip. I also threw on some chicken thighs on the rack after the hanging meat was done.

All cooks were cooked over Stubbs with Wicked good Jake's blend and a few chunks of wood. I monitored my temps with a pit probe and both cooks were hot. Temps ranged from 300 to 325. I adjusted my cooking time and the food was delicious.

However, I would like to hone in my starting procedure. I'm planning to fire up the PBC tomorrow for a practice turkey and some ribs.

My question is for those who mix in lump. What is your procedure?

I filled my basket 3/4 full with Stubbs then topped it off with lump. Then I filled a Weber chimney half full with lump. Once that was glowing hot I poured it over the basket and added by wood. I left the cover off for one minute then closed it and let the cooker warm up for 15 minutes. (I intentionally deviated from the standard procedure. I was cooking for a group and I wanted to err on the side of the cooker being too hot vs too cold.) There will be less pressure this weekend so I would like to start the PBC under 300 for the ribs and then increase temps a bit for the turkey.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:34 AM   #1690
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

If 16Adams responds he has a lump/charcoal mixture that works well for him. He doesn't respond in this thread often but he posts his own threads a lot. He'll answer if you bring it up in one of his threads.

Also Sako (ssv3) cooks with lump. Not sure if he does a mixture but I bet he'll chime in and give you some good advice.

I've mixed in lump on one cook but didn't really have a measured amount. To me the most important part is lighting the same amount of charcoal every time to get consistent cook temperatures.

Good luck and let's us know what you end up doing and how it turned out.

Oh and welcome to the Brethren as well as the PBC club!
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Last edited by AClarke44; 11-13-2015 at 02:10 PM..

Old 11-13-2015, 10:43 AM   #1691
slap1914
Got Wood.

Thanks for the reply.

I lurked for a while on this site and read every PBC topic. What I learned was the most important thing is to have the coals hot at the start.

I'll post some pics from my cook tomorrow!

Old 11-13-2015, 10:54 AM   #1692
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClarke44 View Post
I figured you'd get plenty in that barrel. Yeah let us see the pics when you get them.
Just checked with who had the pic and they can email them to me next week.

That's gonna be a nice setup, I betcha i could fit 18-21 racks of BB ribs in it.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2015, 01:13 PM   #1693
ssv3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slap1914 View Post
Another new PBC cook here.

So far I have two cooks completed. First cook was 2 racks of St Louis spares and 4 whole chickens. Second cook was a boneless pork roast and a tri tip. I also threw on some chicken thighs on the rack after the hanging meat was done.

All cooks were cooked over Stubbs with Wicked good Jake's blend and a few chunks of wood. I monitored my temps with a pit probe and both cooks were hot. Temps ranged from 300 to 325. I adjusted my cooking time and the food was delicious.

However, I would like to hone in my starting procedure. I'm planning to fire up the PBC tomorrow for a practice turkey and some ribs.

My question is for those who mix in lump. What is your procedure?

I filled my basket 3/4 full with Stubbs then topped it off with lump. Then I filled a Weber chimney half full with lump. Once that was glowing hot I poured it over the basket and added by wood. I left the cover off for one minute then closed it and let the cooker warm up for 15 minutes. (I intentionally deviated from the standard procedure. I was cooking for a group and I wanted to err on the side of the cooker being too hot vs too cold.) There will be less pressure this weekend so I would like to start the PBC under 300 for the ribs and then increase temps a bit for the turkey.
Hey Slap,

I haven't done many cooks with mixed lump. Usually it's either, or. The few times I mixed though, I poured in the lump first then topped it with briqs. If I were to guess I'd say 70% lump and 30% briqs. I prefer lump at the bottom because I don't want a raging or hot fire at start up since lump burns hotter and faster. If it helps I start my fires with a weed burner while the basket is fully packed. I get the briqs going on top and it works it's way down to the lump and once the heavy smoke clears about 10-15 mins I placed the meat on and close the lid. In your case you can pour in the lump in the basket, pour the briqs in the chimney, light the chimney and let the briqs ash over. After that dump the briqs over the lump and wait about 5 mins for the unlit lump smoke to clear and hang the meat. The lump start up smoke usually diminishes way faster than briqs.

Good luck and keep us posted.

PS 16Adams is the man with mixed fuel in the PBC. You may want to PM him. I know he changes he's procedures constantly and improving it.
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:23 PM   #1694
bradymartin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
You should get it today latest tomorrow. They expanded to Cali and they have a place in Corona so we get them next day. I had two shipped to me recently and each arrived the next day of the order date.
just checked tracking and its in bloomington, an hour or so from me. expected delivery tomorrow. early Christmas for me tomorrow.

here is my plan

first and foremost i just want to get lower vent setting dialed in to plus/minus 275, full load of kingsford which should last 8 hours. no food. i will use my chef alarm temp probe on rebar to monitor temp.

approximately 1/4th vent open, 34 briquettes in weber chimney, 3 pieces of newspaper and light. alarm for 15 minutes then dump lit into the basket. close lid, after 15 minutes ill install temp probe on rebar and monitor temp.

does this sound like a plan? maybe do 36 briquettes? i usually put veg oil on newspaper when lighting charcoal in my chimney to help lighting the briquettes, and it doees light it faster. im wondering if i should not do that here and if i do, maybe aim for 14 minutes? also im wondering though if i should aim higher than 275 since there is no food in there. here i am overthinking things again, maybe its not this complicated.
bradymartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2015, 11:33 PM   #1695
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Quote:
just checked tracking and its in bloomington, an hour or so from me. expected delivery tomorrow.

here is my plan

first and foremost i just want to get lower vent setting dialed in to plus/minus 275, full load of kingsford which should last 8 hours. no food. i will use my chef alarm temp probe on rebar to monitor temp.

im wondering though if i should aim higher than 275 since there is no food in there.
I've found it'll go a little higher anyway without food. But like I said before there's no need for a burn out. I'd put something in there even if just a fatty on the rack.

By the way what I did to dial in my temperature (I like 275° as well) is set the vent cap to the settings according to the instructions (1/4 open for you). Don't tighten the screw too much so you can still make slight adjustments to the vent cap. Use your thermometer inside on the rack in the middle to monitor the temp. Make sure you remember to put both rebar in if you dont cook anything. Make slight adjustments to the vent cap until you get a stable temperature that you like. Once the PBC Is cool, tighten up the screw and you will probably never need to mess with it again.
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it