MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:10 AM   #31
lankster35
Take a breath!

I don't understand why you would NOT want to rinse any meat that your get from the store. Cryovac or no, I rinse everything. How can rinsing anything be worse than not rinsing it unless your water is bad :) Not another thread.......

Old 05-31-2015, 10:17 AM   #32
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

As to the OP, it was stated "overnight", I don't see that as a problem at all. Now I wouldn't store it that way myself unless I had a purpose to do it, i.e. to produce that crispy, bite through skin that everybody likes. Off hand, I cannot think of another reason to leave it uncovered, and would not make it my "usual practice".

KC

Old 05-31-2015, 10:56 AM   #33
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

I overthink everything even tangentially related to BBQ therefore I am.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-31-2015, 11:02 AM   #34
bbqwizard
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Phillip

I let mine air dry in the fridge along with some added salt to the skin for cookoffs. Helps with the texture of the skin- crispier if you like it that way.
By His grace, for His glory!
bbqwizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2015, 11:18 AM   #35
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Ok if you have ever seen video of chicken being processed, it goes through at least one dunk in a sea of God only knows what is in it, and how many thousands of birds were run through it. I will rinse if for no other reason except for peace of mind for whatever that is worth. I keep a bottle of diluted bleach in a spray bottle for clean up.

The only concern with it sitting uncovered in the fridge, is to make sure there are no odors from other foods like cucumbers for one, that the chicken mite absorb.
Dave

Old 05-31-2015, 11:19 AM   #36
Meatguyver
On the road to being a farker

Ladies and Gentlemen, as we all know there is more than one way to skin a cat..some people rinse their chickens others dont. Some cover their chickens and others dont. I think we can all agree that Bacteria and other nasties are not good, but i think we are all mature enough to know how to handle food safely. Weather there are benefits or not on rinsing i will continue to do it because for me, it is more pleasing to not have feathers or gooey bloody gunk on my birds before i put my rubs on. There are also cooking methods we are able to try at home that would not fly in restaurants due to food regulations. So if you want to keep your food uncovered at home by all means try it! It might yield amazing results and we can then see the Pr0n!
Meatguyver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2015, 11:25 AM   #37
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

Fear mongering doesn't just exist in politics it lives well in the cooking/BBQ community as well. It generally originates from a microbiologist or someone that's close to one that spreads stories of the boogie man hidden in the thin air and surrounding the food and world around you.

That being said, they aren't exactly wrong. The facts and bacteria are definitely there. The problem is that our bodies have been here elvolving the whole time right along with the microbes. Common sense and safety will take care of you like it has from day one. Dry your chicken in the fridge just as it was doing in the meat market that you bought it in and enjoy.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:09 PM   #38
Soybomb
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lankster35 View Post
I don't understand why you would NOT want to rinse any meat that your get from the store. Cryovac or no, I rinse everything. How can rinsing anything be worse than not rinsing it unless your water is bad :) Not another thread.......
The problem is rinsing doesn't do anything to the bacteria on the food other than potentially spray it around in the room in a finer mist than most people would realize. Rinsing will protect you from nothing, thats what the cooking is for. So at best its worthless, at worst is potentially spreading bacteria about the kitchen.

Nothing wrong with air drying in the fridge, its great for crispy skin.
Soybomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2015, 02:04 PM   #39
Mo-Dave

Guess I better get me a protective case for my tooth brush in the bathroom. Seems pissing in a commode can cause a fine mist that can fill the whole bathroom, and then some, with a fine mist that will settle on everything, better cover the soap, hair brush faucet handles, light switch, door knob. towels.

Got to wonder how mankind has made it to this point.
Dave

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-31-2015, 02:59 PM   #40
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

^^^^^wait you piss in a commode? What are you a prince or something.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-31-2015, 03:25 PM   #41
Mo-Dave

Was going to say John, but it just was not meant to be
I do remember back when I did not even have pot to piss in.
Dave

Old 05-31-2015, 04:00 PM   #42
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

That hit me just right! LOL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
^^^^^wait you piss in a commode? What are you a prince or something.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:01 PM   #43
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Here is a picture of some capons I took at a fair in Vilalba, Spain last December.

Nearly 2000 of these capons were sold through the morning and into the afternoon for $100-$150. This village is famous for their capons and this fair has been going on for centuries.

There also were a few butchers set up selling various meats.

Note the lack of refrigeration. This is not unusual, even in the markets in summer. Somehow people buy and eat uncovered and unrefrigerated meat that has been kept that way for many hours and survive. Heck, I've even done it myself.

There are a few more pics in this thread:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=202469
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2015, 06:10 PM   #44
mikemci
Babbling Farker

Gore, it looks like you are comparing the old days to the new days.....see post #28 for clarity.
red Thermapen

There are two kinds of countries in the world, those that use the metric system and the one that sent men to the moon and back.
mikemci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2015, 07:31 PM   #45
Bob C Cue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemci View Post
I took your advice and checked up on national news.

The economy is doing fine
ISIS is a junior varsity team
you can keep your doctor/plan
coffee is bad for you....wait, now it's good
eggs are bad for you about every other year
Hilarious. And Brian Williams misremembered!
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

[I]Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote