MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Thumbs up Operation BBQ Relief planning in effect

First off; be safe and dry.

Have been notified that Operation BBQ Relief is in the planning stages in response to Hurricane Sandy.
There is no base of operations yet; that will be determined later in the week.

The video below was an OBR response to the flooding in Hershey, PA last year. Met local Brethren for the first time cooking for a cause.
There's a glimpse of the Brethren colors with a few Brethren members behind a Lang.
http://www.fox43.com/news/wpmt-opera...,7542693.story

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD

Last edited by BBQ Bandit; 10-29-2012 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: typos
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 10-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Cool beans.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-31-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
Wampus

If you'd like to donate or volunteer in this AWESOME disaster relief effort, you can do so HERE.

Peace.
Love.
BBQ.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
gtr

Done!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

Done. Wish I could do more.

When I die, my goal is to have a visible smoke ring when the coroner cuts me open for the autopsy.
Outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Thank you for helping out in ANY way.

The impact of this storm is more than just a weekend event. The logistics are extensive.

Several concerns involve long term support; and options include possible rotations of responders/cookers, and additional locations are still being considered.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD

Last edited by BBQ Bandit; 10-31-2012 at 01:20 PM..

Old 10-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

Bandit, besides donations, what else can those of us not in the area do for you guys? I've posted several things to my personal and my team FB page to raise awareness, along with a soft plea for donations.

I keep telling people that comfort food may be just what is needed in this time when pleasure comforts are few and far between.

When I die, my goal is to have a visible smoke ring when the coroner cuts me open for the autopsy.
Outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #8
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Donated earlier, heading out of state, hoping to help out next week. Thanks Bob for getting the word out.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Just to out it out there, Facebook and Tweet info for OBBQR http://operationbbqrelief.org/

Old 10-31-2012, 01:27 PM   #10
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outnumbered View Post
Bandit, besides donations, what else can those of us not in the area do for you guys? I've posted several things to my personal and my team FB page to raise awareness, along with a soft plea for donations.

I keep telling people that comfort food may be just what is needed in this time when pleasure comforts are few and far between.
Spreading the word is good, too!

Former smokers;

Old 10-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #11
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Received this email yesterday;

Operation BBQ Relief, Inc
October 30, 2012Greetings!

Operation BBQ Relief Response to Hurricane Sandy aka "Frankenstorm 2012"!
Operation BBQ Relief is mobilizing!

To any of our followers in the Northeast we hope that you and your families are safe and out of harms way!

Sorry for a second email but in the first email we had a reference to New Orleans rather than the Northeast United States.

We have made the decision to mobilize resources but are still waiting for information on what areas need the most assistance. The "big" groups are focusing on the major metros right now so we are looking at other areas that will need our help! With over 7 million people without power and more power loss expected we hope to have locations locked down by end of today.

What can you do? Below are our needs:

1 - Volunteers: If you would like to volunteer to help cook and serve food with us please email us at: [email protected] The location(s) still needs to be determined, we are working with the local Emergency Operations Center and other locals on a good location(s).

2 - Food and Non-Food Supplies - We are still working on the projection of meals a day but with the power outages and damaged areas 3000-5000 is a safe estimate. Here is the list of items we need:

Protein - pork butt, pork loin, sausage, chicken, etc
Bread
Chips
Water and Gatorade
Aluminum Pans (full sized)
Aluminum Foil (large roll wide)
Disposable Rubber Gloves - Large and XLarge
Clam Shells
Flatware
Paper towels
clorox wipes and spray bleach
serving utensils
wood, pellets and charcoal
etc... I am sure we are missing some things but these are the basics.

3 - Monetary Donation - Lastly, if you are unable to volunteer and do not have the ability to help with items needed above you can always go to our website and make a monetary donation. Every little bit helps! Go to: www.operationbbqrelief.org and click the donate button on the left side! As a 501c3 not-for- profit your donations are tax deductible.

Please share this email with your friends and help us get the word out on what we need! Thank you for your continued support!

Stay tuned to our facebook page for updated information!

We continue to pray for all the families that have been effected by Hurricane Sandy! Thanks Again!

If you have not liked us on Facebook please go to: www.Facebook.com/OperationBBQRelief or on twitter at www.twitter.com/OpBBQRelief

Sincerely,

Operation BBQ Relief

Will surely make a donation, spread the word, wish we could do more. I just can't believe what I've been seeing on the news. Prayers for all as well...
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][B]Daddy and Me BBQ[/B] Competition Cooking Team[/FONT][/I]
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #12
armor
is one Smokin' Farker

Done. I can possibly get there to help. I will send pm.

Risk is the price you pay for opportunity.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!
armor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #13
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Just heard on Twitter, OBBQR heading to Tom's River NJ and Manhatten. Spread the word.

Tags
flood, hershey, OBR