First Moose on the UDS

expatpig

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've got a 4lb moose rump roast on the UDS, I brined it w/ kosher salt, sugar and a little cider vinegar for 4 hrs, 2.5 hrs in, temp at 135. It's a very lean meat, I unrolled it, seasoned it and put in some saltpork and tied it back up. I'm thinking I should cook as a chuck roast. Any opinions?

Wow. No clue. Is it lean?
Also, finally a "moose" thread that's actually about the game animal.

Oh farkin' duh. Duh, duh, duh. You did say it is very lean. Sheesh.

Last edited:
Wow. No clue. Is it lean?
Also, finally a "moose" thread that's actually about the game animal.

I remember something about a moose post recently too... what the fark was that about again? Now I'm gonna have to go look.

If it were a venison roast - I would be pulling it now. I love my wild game rare/medium rare.

The addition of salt pork is a great idea. I now wrap my venison roasts in a bacon weave when I smoke them on my WSM.

Other than birds and fish, I have never brined wild game.

How spicy of a rub are you using? My family prefers a rub that isn't too spicy on game. Me - I would almost make it more crushed black pepper than roast.

No matter what - post pics.

Be REALLY careful. I tried to make Moose Wellington once with a whole Moose tenderloin cut into fillets. It got REALLY dry REALLY fast.

The pork is a good idea, I would - for future reference - do what MRI Guy suggested and wrap with a bacon weave.

Show us pics - even if it doesn't turn out the way you wanted - when it's done. I'd love to see it.

It sounds great! Hope you post pics when finished... :cool:

I'd get that moose meat into foil after smoking a couple hours and braise it with some liquid for the remainder of the cook so as not to dry it out. As said, moose is very lean meat.

Can't wait to see pics of that :thumb:. Never had moose, would love to try it....... Think you could send me a sample?

I foiled it @155 poured in a little apple juice and pulled it out @185, let it rest for an hour and sliced it up and passed it around the neighborhood. It came out really good, juicy with a nice crabapple smoke flavor right through. I didn't really use a rub, just ground pepper and a light dusting of cajun seasoning. There's a bear that's been to my yard everynight, he may be next.

Last edited:
Yea, really tender too, I was surprised because it was a big bull, but he dropped right where he was shot. one arrow right through the heart and lung.

Bear is the complete opposite of Moose: VERY fatty. At least the one I had was. I didn't cook it, but I sure remember the taste and texture.

Better eat him before he eats something you don't want him to. :heh:

Back