MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-29-2004, 12:44 AM   #1
hornbri
On the road to being a farker

Default Latest Cook Adventure

Christmas Eve GF decides she wants briskets for christmas dinner, great I wanted to smoke anyway.

Have to go to FOUR grocery stores before I can find 2 flat both 3.5 pounds and little fat...****

Wake up Christmas morning and fire up the chimminy, lay some bacon on the grill (to take the place of fat) and get the meat ready.

Fark damm wireless thermometer got left in the rain, ruined.

Well decide to try to use a meat thermometer figure I can estimate how hot the fire is from that. HA!

Two flat our out smoking for about 10 hours FARK this I am drunk and tired. Meat still only at 160. Wrap it and cooler it and Pass out.

Next day, crank the oven up to 300 and throw the meat in there. Figure what the hell its prolly ruined anyway. Let the meat get up to 190 and wrap it up for a few hours.

Fark! it came out pretty good.

Today I took the 2nd flat and chopped it up, threw it in a pot with 3 Fatties (JD Hot) and dozen Japs, lots of peppers and spices and made a mean bowl of Chili.

Sometimes things just work out.

Old 12-29-2004, 12:58 AM   #2
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Horn.... That wireless probably isnt wrecked. I have left my Nu-temps out int he rain, the snow, the lawn sprinklers and they always come back to life. Pull the batteries and dry it with a blow dryer, if it doesnt come to life, open the back and pour some rubbing alcohol onto the Circuit board and dry it with a blow dryer on cool or medium. That should revive it. If its the transmitter that got the bath, and the LCD doesnt work, it may still be transmitting.. so check the reciever. if its the reciever thats wet, you may have to let the LCD dry out and that may take a few days, but it will come back gradually.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2004, 07:26 AM   #3
racer_81
Babbling Farker

Grand Poobah Geek Squad Mod

Old 12-29-2004, 11:45 AM   #4
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
Today I took the 2nd flat and chopped it up, threw it in a pot with 3 Fatties (JD Hot) and dozen Japs, lots of peppers and spices and made a mean bowl of Chili.
Brisket Chili rules
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2004, 06:21 PM   #5
BigBelly
is one Smokin' Farker

Yeah, I love me some brisket chili hoss! It sounds like you had a real blast with your latest adventure!

Family BBQ and Catering
~: Proud Bandera Owner :~
BigBelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2004, 11:21 AM   #6
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
Horn.... That wireless probably isnt wrecked. I have left my Nu-temps out int he rain, the snow, the lawn sprinklers and they always come back to life. Pull the batteries and dry it with a blow dryer, if it doesnt come to life, open the back and pour some rubbing alcohol onto the Circuit board and dry it with a blow dryer on cool or medium. That should revive it. If its the transmitter that got the bath, and the LCD doesnt work, it may still be transmitting.. so check the reciever. if its the reciever thats wet, you may have to let the LCD dry out and that may take a few days, but it will come back gradually.
Phil's right... Pretty much any battery-powered electronics will recover from getting wet. It depends somewhat on the device and the liquid, but if you give it time to dry out, it should be OK. As you would suspect, sugary liquids like soda are pretty much killers, but if you have the right tools and patience, you can even recover fro these by taking the thing apart and cleaning the pieces of any sticky residue. A friend had his expensive PDA take a beer bath (long story...), and he let it dry for a few days and its still working today!

One caution... Phil's recommendation of using alcohol to dry out any remaining water is good, but check the alcohol carefully. Some products sold as rubbing alcohol contain additives such as lanolin since they are designed for use on human skin. This stuff will only gum up your electronics more. Isopropyl alcohol (I think I spelled that right!?) is the best since it will evaporate cleanly. You can also set the unit near a heat register (If you live in an area where you need heat!) and this will help with the drying. The air coming out of most heat vents don't get hot enough to do any damage.

The brisket chili sound great, BTW... Gotta try that!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2004, 12:42 PM   #7
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
As you would suspect, sugary liquids like soda are pretty much killers,
As a sound man for bands for over 15yrs regularly and everyonce in a while since I've seen many Jack and Cokes and a lotta beers spilled on everything from mixer boards to foot-pedal controllers for guitar effects units. If you can get to where the mess is, WD-40 makes an excellent solvent for syrupy coke residue and beer. I've resurrected a lot of "trashed" gear with a can of WD-40 and a box of Q-tips.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2004, 01:14 PM   #8
cayenne
is one Smokin' Farker

Yeah...as I understand it, it often times isn't so much the sugar, but, the carbonic acid in these drinks that can eat up parts of the circuit boards...

At least that's what they told me when I tried getting a panasonic answering machine resurrected after a glass of champagne was spilled down it...
cayenne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2004, 07:19 AM   #9
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcquer
Quote:
As you would suspect, sugary liquids like soda are pretty much killers,
As a sound man for bands for over 15yrs regularly and everyonce in a while since I've seen many Jack and Cokes and a lotta beers spilled on everything from mixer boards to foot-pedal controllers for guitar effects units. If you can get to where the mess is, WD-40 makes an excellent solvent for syrupy coke residue and beer. I've resurrected a lot of "trashed" gear with a can of WD-40 and a box of Q-tips.
Good music, good Q. Life doesn't get any better than that.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote