Butterflying a pork tender loin

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
been googling how to butterfly a pork tenderloin roast so i can stuff it. I found a few vids that shows still screen shots but no live video of how to do this.

Any one have a good video that demonstrates this action?

thanx guys

been googling how to butterfly a pork tenderloin roast so i can stuff it.

I think jawquin answered your question, but I don't think you asked it correctly.

Jawquin posted a process of butterflying a pork loin, which I think you wanted.

You asked for a video of butterflying pork "tender"loin, which is a different cut. It is much smaller in circumference and to butterfly it and stuff it would be extremely time consuming, and would probably dry out a tenderloin.

Just making the clarification, more for future search references on butterflying these two different loin cuts.

(I keep part of a freezer shelf loaded with pork loins all the time. I have never butterflied though. I prefer to just stuff them from the ends. Heres a great Roadmap thread for stuffing ideas, regardless of method:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=118280&postcount=4
Good luck!!)

I think jawquin answered your question, but I don't think you asked it correctly.

Jawquin posted a process of butterflying a pork loin, which I think you wanted.

You asked for a video of butterflying pork "tender"loin, which is a different cut. It is much smaller in circumference and to butterfly it and stuff it would be extremely time consuming, and would probably dry out a tenderloin.

Just making the clarification, more for future search references on butterflying these two different loin cuts.

(I keep part of a freezer shelf loaded with pork loins all the time. I have never butterflied though. I prefer to just stuff them from the ends. Heres a great Roadmap thread for stuffing ideas, regardless of method:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=118280&postcount=4
Good luck!!)

Bill What temp do you take Pork Loins to? Just curious.:twisted:

So just to make sure i have this right:

The Tenderloin is the small piece that's about two inches thick and ten inches long and the Loin is the big grandaddy piece that's about 4-5 inches thick and about 24 inches long whole?

I've been getting the big loins at Coastco for a few years and making my own pork chops and roasts out of them. Usually save a little money and you have the flexability to make thick for stuffed chops or do the butterfly thing and stuff.

Either way...it's PORK!

Wait wait wait... I was under the impression that the big round roast labeled tenderloin was the one people butterflied and stuffed. Its like 10-12 inchs in length and bout 3 inches thick. I bet the butcher mis labeled it by accident.

the youtube video showed me how but i guess im confused between tenderloin and loin..

Which one is cheaper?

Around here, pork tenderloin is about $6.00 per pound and they usually weigh just under 2 pounds. Boneless pork loin has been under $2.00 per pound lately, they weigh anywhere from 7 to 10 pounds.

Thanks for bringing up the clarification unka Bill. That does seem to be a confusing term here.

Around here, pork tenderloin is about $6.00 per pound and they usually weigh just under 2 pounds. Boneless pork loin has been under $2.00 per pound lately, they weigh anywhere from 7 to 10 pounds.

Thanks for bringing up the clarification unka Bill. That does seem to be a confusing term here.

Ok looks like a pork loin is the one im thinking of.

Random question but can any one here taste the diff between pork loin and pork shoulder cuts? I know that is an odd question but sometimes pork no matter what cut tastes the same to me.

I stuffed a couple pork tenderloins recently and loved em. It's hard not to love that cut as long as you don't dry it out.

I stuffed a couple pork tenderloins recently and loved em. It's hard not to love that cut as long as you don't dry it out.

Okay, I'm going to add to the confusion here...

I'm thinking you really meant "Pork Loin" as that's what is the bigger of the two cuts I'm thinking of.

Either way both are great as long as you don't dry out. Brining is good too.

I meant tenderloin. I just wanted to state that a tenderloin can also be worth stuffing. Like I said though, it's hard to not like that cut regardless of how you cook it.

Here is an old thread of mine where Bill and I talk about how to butterfly and stuff a pork loin.

It starts about post #22.

Hope this helps

I usually take a whole pork loin and cut about 8 to 10 inches out of it (roughly 5 to 6 pounds). Then I'll use an 8 inch fillet knife to make a slit through the round end towards the other end without cutting through the outside of the loin, kinda making a pocket in the loin. Then I load up the jerky gun with bratwurst, Italian sausage, venison sausage or whatever I have on hand, insert the jerky gun all the way into the cavity & load that baby up.
When you get to the end of the loin, tack the end closed with a couple of toothpicks, wrap a pound of thick-sliced bacon around said loin (maple flavored works great!) and smoke at 225 until you get 150* to 155* internal. Wrap in foil and a towel, wait 20 to 30 minutes (your internal temp will rise to 160* or so but will stay nice & moist).
Slice, enjoy, repeat :biggrin:.

Here is an old thread of mine where Bill and I talk about how to butterfly and stuff a pork loin.

It starts about post #22.

Hope this helps

Ok to me it looks like you did a rolled(the youtube video posted in this thread) cut for the very first initial cut. Then it looks as if you cut the rolled/butterfly cut in half then cut each half down the middle to make it long and thin.

Thats how i interpreted post 22 and the looks of the pictures.

thanx

EDIT.

Im wrong. you just butterflied the roast since it was flat and not a tube looking roast. So no rolled cut was needed. then it looks as if you butterflied it again.

Last edited:
Back