MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:39 AM   #1
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default I need me some help.

At least thats what my wife keeps saying. Ok for the last couple week I have been obsessing about making a bbq sauce that will be more of a savory sauce instead of a sweet, or vinegary type sauce. I don't want to use catsup, or make it a tomato base sauce nor vinegar base, although I may have to incorporate some of those in small amounts, but would rather not.

Here is what I am thinking, sweet potatoes pureed as the base for some sweetness, onions, celery, with various spices and herbs, such as turmeric. cinnamon, yellow mustard powder, maybe some anchovies, beef base, and whatever else that may work.

I have some baked sweet potatoes cooling now and will cut them up, and puree them in a blender later. I will need some liquid, coffee perhaps, I don't know. That is why I have come to you, for your input. So put on your thinking caps, no matter what it may sound like I think it is doable.

Here is a purple sweet potato soup that could be a good base to start with of course there would be some alteration, plus I have never came across purple sweet potatoes.
Dave

Old 02-15-2015, 11:48 AM   #2
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

I think you are on the right track with anchovies. But using wooster sauce or wooster powder may give you the savory background you want without having to deal with getting the anchovies to where you need them.

Also, don't forget to gives beans like black or chickpeas a chance if you're looking for a savory thick sauce.
lantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-15-2015, 11:51 AM   #3
tish

Think you might be charting some new territory there, Dave. You're off to a great start with the purple sweet potatoes. I like the idea of the coffee as a liquid. Should add some great flavor. Do you have access to a prepared chile paste with garlic? I go through that stuff very fast here, and manage to find a reason to slip it into just about everything. Very interested to see your final product.
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2015, 11:52 AM   #4
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Your kitchen is your studio, your food is your canvas.....
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2015, 11:57 AM   #5
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Shallots sauted in butter in a red wine and veal reduction is my favorite. Savory as can be roasting the meat bones is key! Add garlic bulbs in the roasting pan . Heaven

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-15-2015, 12:02 PM   #6
Mo-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tish View Post
Think you might be charting some new territory there, Dave. You're off to a great start with the purple sweet potatoes. I like the idea of the coffee as a liquid. Should add some great flavor. Do you have access to a prepared chile paste with garlic? I go through that stuff very fast here, and manage to find a reason to slip it into just about everything. Very interested to see your final product.
It is going to be a challenge to think outside the bbq box I have built around me for most of my life. I will take a look around for the chill paste you mentioned. I will have to keep the heat level very low, I am the only one in my familiarly that can withstand any amount of heat.

No purple potatoes around that I have come across, but I did pick up several sweet potatoes so I can experiment, besides we eat them on a regular bases.
Dave

Old 02-15-2015, 12:02 PM   #7
tish

How about pureed mushrooms or umami? Just a thought.
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!

Old 02-15-2015, 12:03 PM   #8
Mo-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharredApron View Post
Shallots sauted in butter in a red wine and veal reduction is my favorite. Savory as can be roasting the meat bones is key! Add garlic bulbs in the roasting pan . Heaven
I am liking the idea of roasted beef bone.
Dave

Old 02-15-2015, 12:05 PM   #9
Mo-Dave

Quote:
love mushrooms, and thoughts are what its all about, thanks.
Dave

Old 02-15-2015, 12:09 PM   #10
tish

Fish sauce? Sorry I didn't put it all in one post. It's just coming out as I think about it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 02-15-2015, 12:12 PM   #11
Shagdog

Quote:
This came to my mind too. You could grind dried mushrooms for some umami flavor. Also, what about gouchugang? It's a fermented bean and chili paste used in Korean cooking. Very unique flavor profile with some serious savory aspects. Also, fish sauce (I know you said anchovies..) and dark soy would be worth a look.

Come Join the fun in the Throwdowns!

Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master

Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-15-2015, 12:13 PM   #12
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Awesome thread! I love the idea of the sauce you're trying to create
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2015, 12:41 PM   #14
TcircleT
Knows what a fatty is.

Gravy?

Old 02-15-2015, 12:51 PM   #15
Bludawg

Salsa Lizano!!! This isn't a BBQ sauce per say but it is savory and I have enjoyed it on all things BBQ for a long time as well as ice cream. I think it might just fit your pistol Sub the sweet taters for the Carrots.

Lizano-Style Costa Rican Salsa

makes about 2 cups

1-2 dried chiles, such as guajillo
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 small yellow onion
1 4-inch piece thick carrot, chopped
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon unflavored vinegar
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons fine salt
2 teaspoons molasses
2 teaspoons all-natural powdered vegetable broth base, optional
Remove the stems of the chiles and then slice the chiles in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and fibrous connective material attaching the seeds to the chiles. Pre-heat a 6-8-inch cast iron or stainless steel skillet over medium heat. Lay the chile pieces in the pan and toast, turning after about 2 minutes. Add the water and lower the heat to bring the water to a simmer. Simmer for about five minutes. Remove the chile pieces from the pan and place in blender. Measure out 1 cup of the chile-infused water and add this to the blender with the chiles.
Add the onion, carrot, sugar, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, molasses, bouillon if using. Blend until smooth. Taste for seasoning.
Sauce will keep in refrigerator for up to two weeks