Pulled Pork Calzone - pr0n

huminie

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I am friends with the owner of a local pizza joint. He is always looking for new things to try and add to his menu. He is on a calzone kick right now and he is attempting to get on the "Man vs. Food" TV show for serving up a 7lb calzone. :eek:

Every time he sees a pic of something I have BBQ'd he tells me he wants to try it on a pizza or calzone. So last night we gave it a shot. I brought over a pound of previously cooked calzone, some of my homemade BBQ sauce and some of my pulled pork glaze.

He took it all in the back and made up 2 calzones. He put pulled pork and BBQ sauce in each and in one he added mushrooms and the other he added pre-cooked red onions. He also added a healthy dose of his three cheese blend. On top he used the glaze, some mushrooms/onions and some sharp cheddar.

They came out great! The flavors worked very well! The mushrooms added an earthy taste to the one and the red onion added some sweetness to the other.

Here are a couple pics I took with my cell phone:

ppcalzone1.jpg

ppcalzone.jpg

Now he wants to talk about me providing him with pulled pork on an ongoing basis. He wants to feature it one night a week as the special, and have it available all the time. He may even make it as a part of the 7lb whopper for the TV show!

Trouble is, I have never charged for my BBQ before. Anyone have any ideas what the going rate for fully cooked pulled pork is by the pound? Maybe there are some guys here who do some catering? I have some rough calculations in my head, but would love to hear what others charge for this sort of thing.

Interesting... not the traditional calzone I was raised on but you CA guys do some wacky stuff with pizzas !!!!

if you're wholesaling cooked food for public consumption make sure you have the proper cooking facilities, permits and insurance.

Unfortunately I cannot take your word for these tasting great. I feel it is my duty to test them myself as an unbiased third party. Please send here ASAP as it is already past lunch and I have not eaten yet.

Interesting... not the traditional calzone I was raised on but you CA guys do some wacky stuff with pizzas !!!!

if you're wholesaling cooked food for public consumption make sure you have the proper cooking facilities, permits and insurance.

Thank you for that advice. I will be sure to make sure that is addressed before proceeding.

This advice is Golden, and one the restaurant owner should take up with you. A LOT of liability for both of you should, God forbid, someone get sick. Sickness is highly unlikely, but a fine from an inspector is not.

Has to make you feel good about the quality of your BBQ!

I've done a few large cooks for friends parties, reunions, etc. and have itemized out costs - for central Iowa the "costs" with Boston Butt, fuel, rub, other supplies comes out to about $2.60 per uncooked pound. As far as cooked pound, it'll be probably around 30% or 40% more as that's about how much weight you'll lose during the cook.

Back