• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ Book

Y

Yader

Have any recommendations on the best book(s) out there for BBQ? A short few sentences explaining the book would be very helpful! There's too many on Amazon and at Barnes and Noble. Figured you'd be able to narrow it down!

I enjoy reading...working my way through many of the threads here, sometimes paper is just more fun. Plus, getting my Q all over that is better than the mac!

I just this weekend ordered 'Peace Love and Barbecue', 'Smoke & Spice', 'Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue', and 'Mastering the Craft of Smoking Food' from Amazon..

I did a search in the forum and these were the ones most recommended.

Serious Barbecue by Adam Perry Lang is outstanding! Here is a review of the book that I wrote back in September

-----

SeriousBarbecue_1_4.jpg

Let me just cut through the fat and get right to the point regarding the book Serious Barbecue by Adam Perry Lang. Get it, read it and use it!

This is, if not the best, certainly one of the best barbecue and grilling books I have ever read. This isn't really all that surprising, given that it's written by a CIA-trained chef-turned-BBQ-guy. Adding to Adam's long list of credentials and accolades, his pork shoulder took first place at the prestigious American Royal Invitational BBQ competition (a.k.a. "The World Series of BBQ"). He also owns Daisy May’s BBQ U.S.A. in New York City, which was named "the Height of Pit Cuisine" by Food & Wine Magazine. So, this guy has serious barbecue and grilling chops!

One of the complaints that I have read about this book is that Adam's recipes are "too complicated" and that they use "too many fancy ingredients". I disagree with those sentiments and prefer to look at it differently. This is a cookbook that will push the bounds of your typical backyard live-fire cooking. The techniques and layering of flavors will push you out of your comfort zone, and the beautiful photographs make you want to try the recipes.

I could go on and on about how good this book is, but the "Smoke, Char, Baste, and Brush Your Way to Great Outdoor Cooking" subtitle really sums it up nicely. If you want to expand your horizons and learn to take your barbecue and grilling to new heights, get this book.

-----

John

Peace,Love and BBQ is my favorite. Lots of bbq history,some great stories with a few good recipes thrown in.

Last edited:
Peace Love and BBQ, and any of Dr. BBQ's books. I've read all of these several times.

Just this weekend I threw out my old "Smoke and Spice"; useless really. Paul Kirks
book is pretty good, and has a few decent get-ya-started recipes for rubs, sauces,
etc. I kept that one...

I second the recommendation for Ray Lampe's (Dr BBQ) books, I have 3.

use the search function at the bottom - there have been several threads on this subject here on the forum

One might mention, a well worded question or two here might save you tens of dollars
in books. Plus, you might get some humorous "what not to do" along the way that
are just as helpful as what to do...

Peace Love & bBQ - Just fantatic its like an epic love story on BBQ
Serious BBQ- The recipes are great and if you like lamb you will be rewarded with a lot of recipes for it.
Karen Putnam Championship BBQ - THis book is not frilly it is straightforward and jam packed with recipes from the FLower of the flames. Some of the best sauces I have made came from this book. It is fantastic.
Ray Lampe - Big Time BBQ book. Just a decent read and good recipes.
Americas Best BBQ 100 recipes- There are some really killer recipes in this book
Ted Reader- For any recipes for Planking this guy has been there and done that.
She Smoke- this is a new book from Julie Reinhardt. IT has some fantastic advice and great recipes
Smoke n Spice- Can't recommend this one enough. it is awesome for thoroughly covering BBQ styles and a plethora of recipes to keep anyone happy for years to come.

Ray's books are very good and the recipes are not intimidating. I suggest using the look inside feature on Amazon and see if the categories look appealing to you.

Today it's Serious Barbecue by Adam Perry Lang. At other times it was Smoke and Spice and Peace, Love and BBQ.

Just this weekend I threw out my old "Smoke and Spice"; useless really...

Interesting, care to explain why? The reason I like S&S is because it has styles, concepts, and ideas I would not normally try.

Not sure where you are in your experience with bbq'ing, but I suggest:

"She Smoke...a backyard bbq book"

Now, this is written by a lady to other ladies...however, the information is great and it is not written over anyones head... straightforward explanations, tips, techniques and some really great recipes. I highly suggest picking up a copy...it is also well priced!! You can find it on Amazon...it is written by Julie Reinhardt.

Rays DR BBQ Books and Chris Lillys, Big Bob Gibsons
Those work for me

All the books mentioned are good ones. I have a preference for the following two:

For an all-around book on Que there is:

"The Great American Barbecue & Grilling Manual" by Smoky Hale
ISBN: 0-936171-03-0

and if you want to work on sauces, marinades and rubs:

"Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces" by Paul Kirk
ISBN: 1-55832-125-X

I use Paul Kirk's book as well- lots of good recipes. Our's is so splattered with food, we could probably boil it ans get a decent soup out of it! I get most of my 'technical advice right here, since most books don't cover UDS cooking LOL.

My suggestion is to use your local library. If you don't have a library card, get one. Reserve any book you are considering investing in. Read the books first, and only then decide which to buy. I've been giving my welding and metalworking peers this advice for decades now and still believe in it wholeheartedly. Save your money!

seattlepitboss

Back