Brining chicken: Wet or dry?

Frank Mahovlich

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Gonna try brining some chicken this weekend. Never done this before, & would greatly appreciate some tips...

Thinking of going dry, seems it would be far less mess. So, just sprinkle some sea salt on it, then pat it dry before cooking? How long before cooking should I do this? If there are any guides out there on this I sure would appreciate a link.

Thanks in advance,
FM

I've had good results salting and then covering with plastic wrap for about 48 hrs. The covering can be removed a few hours before cooking to dry out the skin some. Time is needed for the salt to work its magic

I am in the wet brine for poultry camp. I brine for 4-6 hours, bigger the bird longer the brine, I do 12-14 pound turkeys about 12 hours. Rinse well, pat dry and then let dry on a rack in the fridge for at least 12 hours. Brines, wet or dry, are usually 1/2 salt, 1/2 sugar. Some folk add other flavor ingredients, I don't.

Gonna try brining some chicken this weekend. Never done this before, & would greatly appreciate some tips...

Thinking of going dry, seems it would be far less mess. So, just sprinkle some sea salt on it, then pat it dry before cooking? How long before cooking should I do this? If there are any guides out there on this I sure would appreciate a link.

Thanks in advance,
FM

Frank, a couple of thoughts:

My preference for chicken is dry-brining; if you're thinking of wet-brining, might as well use a marinade to start, then let the chicken air-dry per the below.

I line a rimmed baking sheet w/ foil, set a stainless cooling rack in it.

I then take whatever chicken I want to dry-brine (in my case, usually wings, legs, or thighs, but BSCB works too), and prep it to go on the cooling rack. This would be breaking down wings into drums, flats, and tips, (discarding the tips, unless saving for stock). Other chicken cuts would get excess fat/skin removed.

Then lay out the chicken on the cooling rack. Pat well with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.

Spray very lightly with cooking spray. Sprinkle to taste with salt, and any other seasonings you like (rubs, etc.). Flip and repeat.

The baking sheet/cooling rack goes into the fridge until time to cook, up to 24 hours in advance. I would suggest at least a few hours minimum, to let the salt do its work.

Getting the chicken up off the baking sheet helps any excess moisture fall away during brining, resulting in crispier skin during cooking.

After that, you're ready to cook!

FYI - if you use some more aromatic seasonings and then stow the chicken in the fridge for a nap, be aware your fridge could end up smelling like whatever seasonings you use. Found this out the hard way, much to my wife's chagrin.

Keep in mind that both dry brining and wet brining provide great results. Where they can differ is in the flavor.

I prefer to wet brine my chicken, but that is because of the brine I select to use.

Keep in mind that:

When dry brining, you are denaturing the proteins, so there is less moisture lost during cooking.

When wet brining you are adding approximately 10% more water. Just like dry brining you are denaturing the proteins, so there is less moisture lost during cooking, but you are starting with about 10% more. However, if you have a bland brine, the chicken can have a dull flavor. Make sure you add aromatics and spices to a wet brine.

Marinades will barely penetrate and will add flavor on the outer surfaces, but will not add additional liquid to the inner cells of the meat.

If you are looking for something different try Dr. Baker's Cornell Chicken. While this will add tons of moisture and the skin will crisp like rice paper, you will still need to add some additional flavors. A must to brine for 24 hours.

Cornell Chicken is one of my favorites... But a must to brine for 24 hours for best results.
Recipe for Cornell Chicken Barbecue Sauce (enough for 10 halves):
http://yates.cce.cornell.edu/resources/cornell-chicken-barbecue-sauce-and-safe-chicken-barbecues
Dr. Robert C. Baker, creator of chicken nuggets and Cornell Chicken Barbecue Sauce (Roadside Chicken).

1 cup cooking oil
1 pint cider vinegar
3 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
1/2 to 1 teaspoon black pepper per taste
1 egg

In a large bowl, whisk the egg white and yolk together with a balloon whisk or a hand mixer. Add the oil and whisk until it gets thick, and bright yellow, for about 2 minutes. Now whisk in the vinegar, salt, seasoning, and pepper.

Stab the chicken skin several times with a fork or knife so the marinade can get in and so fat can get out when cooking. The recipe can be varied to suit individual tastes. Cover with mixture and store in the refrigerator for 24 hours. This will help make the skin crispy. Turn the bag every few hours or so, so that all surfaces get well coated.

Set up the grill for 2-zone cooking. Try to get the indirect side in the 225°F range. Place the chicken over the indirect zone and close the lid. Every 5 to 10 minutes baste with the marinade, turn the chickens on both sides, then rotate the chickens every 20 minutes so they cook evenly.

Cook about 60 to 90 minutes until the internal temperature of each part is 150°F and stop basting. Exact time will depend on how thick the meat is, and how often you basted. Then move them over the hot direct heat side of the grill, skin side down. Remove the lid, and crisp the skin without burning it for 10 to 15 minutes. turn and heat for about 5 minutes more. This step is important to finish the cooking of the meat, crisp the skins, and make sure everything is sterile since it contains raw egg. When the skin is crisp and the internal temp is 165°F, take the meat off. Even if it is a bit red in there when you cut in, it is safe at 165°F. You cannot judge a chicken's safety by the color of the juices! I strongly recommend you use a fast read digital thermometers like a thermapen to make sure your poultry is cooked properly for taste and safety.

I prefer the original recipe as listed above, but other ingredients may be add if desired (suggestions listed below).....
2 TBS worcestershire sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 to 1 teaspoon white pepper per taste
1/2 tsp ground celery seed

One of the classes I teach to the culinary arts students is the art of brining. They experiment with both homemade wet and dry brines, as well as some commercial wet and dry brines. All I can say is to experiment and see which method you like best. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3910964&postcount=1

Last edited:

Thanks in advance,
FM

I dry brine mine: https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260280

Turkey too: https://www.naturiffic.com/blog/how-to-dry-brine-a-turkey

:thumb:

Dry brine is by far the best way to go, IMO.

I fall into the food lab school of brining: no matter how much flavor you "think" you're putting into that wet brine, it is a minimal amount that actually makes it into the meat on a molecular level. Dry brine helps it retain the natural moisture as opposed to the added moisture, and it's also much less hassle (not as big a deal for chicken, far easier for a turkey).

I ride the fence on this one.

I've had some really good experience with dry brining turkey crowns, but then I tried Patio Daddio's Brine on a whole bird. I've done this with turkey and chicken with GREAT results (Kudos and many thanks to Patio Daddio).

I suggest trying a few different options and see what you think of each. You've got some great suggestions from all sides, and I'm probably just adding to the chaff.

Let us know what you try and how it goes. That's how we all learn.

Kind regards,
Shadow

Dry>>>>>wet. Did some head to head with whole chickens and turkey breasts a few years back. I like to bring out the birdiness rather than bring new moisture and flavor to the party... I find dry brining does that. IF I do a wet brine, I do buttermilk brine (bon appetite master buttermilk brine recipe - can google it) as the buttermilk acid seems to do something nice and tenderizing... also good for anything gamey (cuts down on the gamey). Dry makes much easier to get a crispy skin in my experience as well... either way can’t go wrong...

Wet brine. I do it 2-3x a week. High on aromatics and spices. The brine, that is.

Despite a couple of above posts asserting no flavor penetration, that’s not quite true.

Wet brine.

Despite a couple of above posts asserting no flavor penetration, that’s not quite true.

I agree with Ted, the difference in flavor is what you put in the brine that makes the difference and can add flavors. Aromatics, Worcestershire Sauce, and yes even pickle or pepper juice can add great flavors in a brine. http://www.cookshack.com/brining-101

As far as those who say there is more to clean-up with a wet brine, I disagree. Depending on the amount Half Gallon, One Gallon, or Two Gallon ZipLoc bags work fine. Nothing to clean-up, just toss the bag. For those who prefer a container (like myself), Cambro makes inexpensive 2 Qt and 4 Qt containers with a small foot print. They also use the same lid.

1134581.jpg
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/cambro-2sfsp148-2-qt-white-square-poly-food-storage-container-with-kelly-green-colored-gradations/2142SFSP.html

928734.jpg
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/cambro-4sfsp148-4-qt-white-square-poly-food-storage-container-with-kelly-green-colored-gradations/2144SFSP.html

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: EdF
Frank, a couple of thoughts:

My preference for chicken is dry-brining; if you're thinking of wet-brining, might as well use a marinade to start, then let the chicken air-dry per the below.

I line a rimmed baking sheet w/ foil, set a stainless cooling rack in it.

I then take whatever chicken I want to dry-brine (in my case, usually wings, legs, or thighs, but BSCB works too), and prep it to go on the cooling rack. This would be breaking down wings into drums, flats, and tips, (discarding the tips, unless saving for stock). Other chicken cuts would get excess fat/skin removed.

Then lay out the chicken on the cooling rack. Pat well with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.

Spray very lightly with cooking spray. Sprinkle to taste with salt, and any other seasonings you like (rubs, etc.). Flip and repeat.

The baking sheet/cooling rack goes into the fridge until time to cook, up to 24 hours in advance. I would suggest at least a few hours minimum, to let the salt do its work.

Getting the chicken up off the baking sheet helps any excess moisture fall away during brining, resulting in crispier skin during cooking.

After that, you're ready to cook!

FYI - if you use some more aromatic seasonings and then stow the chicken in the fridge for a nap, be aware your fridge could end up smelling like whatever seasonings you use. Found this out the hard way, much to my wife's chagrin.
Thanks Brian. I used this process yesterday and my wife said it was the best chicken that I had ever made. 20 hours refrigerated using Killer Hogs AP rub as my brine.

Back