Which Pellet Grill?

vnmg331

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've been using a Weber Performer for years, but have finally got tired of dealing with charcoal always. I've been thinking of getting a pellet grill. I have five children. We grill maybe once a week through the spring and summer. What's the best bang for the buck grill I can get? Traiger, Green Mountain, Cabelas? Thanks!

I have had good goo luck with my treagers but that pit boss at walmart look like decent bang for buck, but I have no experience with it.

I don't really get the side box Josh the rest of it looked ok

I don't really get the side box Josh the rest of it looked ok

The side box is suppose to be a cold smoker, but according to what I have read, normally run closer to the main chamber temp. Either way, the one thing that comes to my mind immediately, is the ability to hang sausages. One feature that I truly wish I had on my Yoder. Also, from what I understand Louisiana grills makes a lot of the Pit Boss's, so I am sure it is at least as good as the pitboss. I guess it would depend on the price of the pitboss, and your need for the cabinet.

A slow and sear makes the kettle a bit easier for longer cooks but it still isn't as easy as the pellet. When I bought mine I thought rectec was the best bang for the buck. They are still really strong at their price point but there are more options now that are still pretty good and an lower prices. Agree with Pitboss and Louisiana Grills as decent options.

Nothing wrong with Traeger but I just think Rectec is better quality at the same price and the others are as good as Traeger quality at lower prices.

I have five kids as well and while things are quieting down a bit now, it made a huge difference to have a pellet grill when they were younger. While lots of things are relatively set it and forget it, they generally require time and effort to get setup and up to temp. Also time for cleanup -- which is required on a pellet grill too but not every cook. As to startup, you don't even need to let it pre-heat -- push the start button, throw the food on and walk away. Is that boring to sit around watching all afternoon while drinking beer? Yes. With five kids -- not something I had a lot of time to do anyway.

I bought a Mak 1-star and I love it. IMHO it's got the best controller in the business, which for a high-tech, programmable device is a good thing. It also has given a great smoke and flavour profile on all my cooks so far. $1700 delivered to the house (at least last Nov).

my suggestions are based on a lower priced entry level grill

if staying under 1K i'd say rectec stampede = $899 shipped (new size in between tailgater and their bigger 680/700). stainless where it matters, great controller, free shipping, great customer service, good hopper size, wifi. sweet looking cooker.

If I was just getting into a pellet grill I think I'd have to try one of the pit boss for price point and initial feedback.

If I was just getting into a pellet grill I think I'd have to try one of the pit boss for price point and initial feedback.

I just looked at Pit Boss on Cabelas and they sure enough are cheaper.

I cant speak for others but if money is tight I recommend the pitboss 700 I got mine around the 375 mark on amazon im happy with mine

I love my Traegers. They have several models/sizes. Get the biggest one you can afford.

I think GMG is good bang for the buck, love my GMGDB. I think all pellet poopers are 3 trick ponies in this order: wood fired oven, smoker, grill.
If you expect to grill on it, you may want to consider "grill grates" ....not a huge fan of them, but they help "grilling" with pellets.

Camp chef smoke pro see a Walmart for 340 dollars probably good as the pit boss and alot cheaper might be something to consider to see if you like pellet cooking

I've had a Grilla Silverbac for almost 4 years now and it has worked great. Living in Florida it gets used frequently, year round. I've even had friends and neighbors buy one for themselves after tasting what was cooked on it. There are definitely more expensive, commercial type pellet smokers out there but for the price point I've been very satisfied and wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

Stainless grates and lid (which is nice where i live - my smoker can hear the waves and so far hasn't had any problems with rust.)
20 lb hopper
692 sq inches (before adding the addition top rack)

Good luck in your search. There are plenty of good ones out there.

Last edited:
Back