MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-13-2022, 08:03 AM   #16
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdog500 View Post
That looks delicious! I live at the south Jersey shore and eat Mack’s pizza all of the time.

Here are a couple added things that those stories didn’t tell.
They use lard in their dough.

They use sharp cheddar cheese and not mozzarella. That’s why the cheese is on the bottom. The cheddar makes for a greasy pizza and the cheese would slide off if it were put on top. I personally saw the owner of one of the Mack’s pizza locations walking to the front of a supermarket pushing a cart full of New Yorker white American which is a sharp cheddar. It was the big blocks that the deli slices at the lunch meat counter. We use that same cheese for sandwiches at home. Here is a link. https://www.landolakes.com/products/...hite-american/

My wife and I use a 50/50 mix of mozzarella and sharp cheddar on all of our home made pies.

I do know that they gettheir base sauce in the big #10 cans, but they peel the labels off, so I can’t confirm the brand.

Here is a link that gives Mack’s recipe. That I know is correct on at least the dough and cheese department.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/in...?topic=62757.0

The preferred drink to pair with the pizza is birch beer. Years ago all the locations had a barrel of Birch beer on the counter, and a lot of the locals still get the birch beer. See the barrel on the left of the counter.

This is what it looks like. This was our dinner from a couple weeks ago.
The preferred drink of choice is birch beer.

Thanks for chiming in with such an informative reply! I'm aware of both the "authentic" way to make the NJ pie (i.e. cheddar cheese etc), as well as that recipe, which I'm going to to try soon. The only reason I didn't get too granular in my post here is I wanted to go simpler at first. A couple of questions for you:

1. Do you happen to know ingredient amounts for a 14 inch pie from the pizzamaking forum recipe you posted the link for?

2. I'm assuming you've tried the recipe? Did you make it as written, or do a cold ferment on the dough?

3. Would love to know more details on the great pizza pic you posted - dough specifics - what size was the pie etc, kind of oven you used, temp.

Thanks!
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2022, 08:52 AM   #17
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

As always Richard OUTSTANDING
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-13-2022, 09:25 AM   #18
BackYardRob
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rob

I should point out as a Jersey raised boy that the pizza discussed here is strictly a south Jersey thing. Up north we employ the standard NY style of pizza making, both on the boardwalks and off. Sure looks great, though!!
BackYardRob is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-13-2022, 10:59 AM   #19
Moose

Default Update: I made a second pizza from the original dough batch 3 days later

Since I had an extra dough ball leftover in the fridge that had been cold fermenting for 72 hours, yesterday I cooked another pizza for lunch. Here's what I did of note:

1. I added some provolone as well as a sprinkle of Parmesan and oregano over the whole milk mozzarella.

2. In the spirit of duplicating the sauce pattern of a typical South Jersey Boardwalk pie, I put some sauce in a squeeze bottle and squeezed it out in a circular pattern similar to pies of this style, plus a few extra squeezes here and there.

3. Instead of cooking the pie at 625, I used a lower temp of 575.

Here's 3 pics of the cheese, the sauce on top, and after the pizza was cooked:

The verdict? The dough had considerably better depth of flavor than the first pie; I see first hand the benefits of longer cold rises of 2-3 days now and I'm a convert!

On the other hand, the lower temp resulted in a less browned crust, and it was less crispy, as well.

In other words, I liked the dough flavor of the second pie better, but the texture of the first pie was more to my liking. The journey continues...

Old 05-13-2022, 11:27 AM   #20
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Thanks for chiming in with such an informative reply! I'm aware of both the "authentic" way to make the NJ pie (i.e. cheddar cheese etc), as well as that recipe, which I'm going to to try soon. The only reason I didn't get too granular in my post here is I wanted to go simpler at first. A couple of questions for you:

1. Do you happen to know ingredient amounts for a 14 inch pie from the pizzamaking forum recipe you posted the link for?

2. I'm assuming you've tried the recipe? Did you make it as written, or do a cold ferment on the dough?

3. Would love to know more details on the great pizza pic you posted - dough specifics - what size was the pie etc, kind of oven you used, temp.

Thanks!
Their pies are 18”. Here is the website for the location that that pizza was from. This is the best location imho. https://www.mackspizzaofstoneharbor.com/

I didnt try that recipe, but I know the cheese is right and I know they have lard in their dough.

The photo was from the Mack’s pizza in stone harbor. It was their standard 18” pie with light sauce. They use rotoflex ovens. I do t know the temp, but I’ll try to look for it at the next visit.

Old 05-13-2022, 08:29 PM   #21
4ever3

Beautiful pies Moose !!!

I am enjoying your “down the rabbit hole” adventures!

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2022, 09:36 AM   #22
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ever3 View Post
Beautiful pies Moose !!!

I am enjoying your “down the rabbit hole” adventures!

Thanks, Jeremy! I'm taking a break from thinner type pizzas for a bit so I can work on some Detroit style pizzas next - at least that's the plan. I'm hoping you'll jump in the rabbit hole with the breadmaking you've been doing of late...

Old 05-15-2022, 03:34 PM   #23
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

I stopped at Mack’s to get the oven temp for you.
I also treated myself to a slice while there. Slices are never as good as fresh out of the oven!

Last edited by Shadowdog500; 05-15-2022 at 03:40 PM..
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-15-2022, 03:37 PM   #24
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

Double post!

Old 05-15-2022, 05:09 PM   #25
4ever3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Thanks, Jeremy! I'm taking a break from thinner type pizzas for a bit so I can work on some Detroit style pizzas next - at least that's the plan. I'm hoping you'll jump in the rabbit hole with the breadmaking you've been doing of late...
Speaking of…

My bread today was over proofed yesterday, and it weeped water during the retard, it cooked the same time frame but was UGLY (to me…) Delivered bread to those who were waiting on it and the loved it! I gotta say the sour was spot ON but it wasn’t pretty!!

and people think bbq is a rabbit hole…

Still shopping for an oven…

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2022, 11:51 PM   #26
Chett. L
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice looking crust!