MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:40 PM   #7696
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

BK, way to get out of your slump! Solid work there!

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-20-2017, 12:42 AM   #7697
PUNKem733
On the road to being a farker

Damn BK, fantastic cook. Love the variety of BBQ sauces, where they all homemade?
PUNKem733 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2017, 07:20 AM   #7698
Deebo
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Deebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by qposner View Post
I drilled two holes, one bottom left and one bottom right to secure the bottom of the adapter. Then, two small nuts and bolts. It prevents leaks and prevents the adapter from bending when you insert the PartyQ.
I don't know if I've gotten to the point mentally where I'm ready to drill into my PBC. LOL! I may have to attempt a couple drill-less solutions first.
Weber Performer w/ Vortex and Slow-n-Sear
Maverick ET-733
Maverick XR-50
Blue Superfast Thermapen
Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2017, 01:11 PM   #7699
cejacobs
Found some matches.

Anyone had any luck hanging a spiral cut ham? I did two last year for a period before they started to fall through the hooks and had to finish on the grate. I planned on doing the ham this year in a pan or on the grate but we're also doing a 14 lb turkey. I've got the turkey hanger and the hinged grate, but because of where the turkey hangs, I don't think it will work with the hinged grate. Should I just use twine on the ham and try to hang again? Or is there a way to rig up the turkey hanger to get it to hand directly below the rebar on one side?
cejacobs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2017, 01:25 PM   #7700
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
I don't know if I've gotten to the point mentally where I'm ready to drill into my PBC. LOL! I may have to attempt a couple drill-less solutions first.
Drill the adapter at 3 and 9 o'clock, close to the PBC hole, and use fender washers on the outside to pull the adapter tight.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:31 PM   #7701
BigKing
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUNKem733 View Post
Damn BK, fantastic cook. Love the variety of BBQ sauces, where they all homemade?
I'm lazy so no, they are not. I just transfer them into squirt bottles for easier application.

I went hog wild at Cost Plus World Market this past summer on the BBQ sauces they had there. When the season ended, they started to close out the sauces they still had on the shelves so I stocked up even more. I probably have 35+ bottles of BBQ sauce up in a cabinet. It's pretty dumb haha.

For the party, I had:

Blues Hog
Hak's Smoked Maple Mustard
Uncle Merle's Sweet n Spicy Mustard
Burnt Finger Smokey Kansas City Spicy
The Shed Southern Sweet

I went crazy on this mustard vinegar sauce by Prickly Pig. It didn't sell well as there were tons of them at closeout prices. I cleaned out three Cost Plus stores of them at $2.99-3.99 a bottle when it cost $10+ for one bottle from the manufacturer when factoring in shipping. Unfortunately, the poor reception at Cost Plus might have been it for the company as they appear to be out-of-business now. Too bad because the sauce is fantastic. Great for pulled pork when you want that vinegar sauce kick but want the mustard taste as well.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:32 PM   #7702
BigKing
Full Fledged Farker

Sorry for the double post, but has anyone ordered the new accessories from PBC? They have their own hanging basket, hanging corn holder and hanging sausage holder along with skewers. The basket set with all three is pretty appealing.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:57 PM   #7703
shishkabob
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Anthony

so I'm probably going to fire up my pbc for the first time soon, any recommendations on a good first cook to get acquainted with it?
shishkabob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2017, 02:47 PM   #7704
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishkabob View Post
so I'm probably going to fire up my pbc for the first time soon, any recommendations on a good first cook to get acquainted with it?
I would definitely recommend whole chickens cut in half per the video on the PBC website. Cook until breast reaches about 165. For crisper skin you can crack the lid a bit when the breast reaches 155 or so. Best of luck!
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

[I]Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2017, 04:04 PM   #7705
BigKing
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishkabob View Post
What Bob said

Also, a rack of ribs wouldn't hurt. PBC does great chicken but, let's face it, ribs are more fun.

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-20-2017, 04:34 PM   #7706
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Or do both. My first cook was a chicken and a slab of ribs!
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-20-2017, 04:55 PM   #7707
BigKing
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlsportster View Post
Or do both. My first cook was a chicken and a slab of ribs!
Even better!

Mainly, you're going to want to use the hooks and hang something since that is part of the fun. I would suggest not doing a brisket and two pork butts like I did for my first cook. A bit overzealous.

I had zero experience smoking meat so I should of just rode with chicken and maybe a slab or two.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:56 PM   #7708
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Sorry for the double post, but has anyone ordered the new accessories from PBC? They have their own hanging basket, hanging corn holder and hanging sausage holder along with skewers. The basket set with all three is pretty appealing.
Yes, BK, I got the basket and corn holder and sausage holder for my birthday. Haven't used them yet, but planning on it this week...

Old 12-20-2017, 05:45 PM   #7709
BigKing
Full Fledged Farker

Awesome. Looking forward to a review. I bought the basket that Sako uses but still haven't used it; however, the PBC one seems to have even smaller openings so I could be less worried about items falling out.

I love doing brats every time I fire her up so saving some half-rack space for other items is appealing.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:17 PM   #7710
shishkabob
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Even better!

Mainly, you're going to want to use the hooks and hang something since that is part of the fun. I would suggest not doing a brisket and two pork butts like I did for my first cook. A bit overzealous.

I had zero experience smoking meat so I should of just rode with chicken and maybe a slab or two.
thanks for the suggestions guys.

Yea luckily for me I have experience smoking meat, my dad has a nice offset stick burner that i learned on growing up. now that I'm married and in my own house I needed to get my own smoker, and this seemed like my best bet in my price range
shishkabob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it