• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How to get a new cooker from your wife without asking

Kanco Connection

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I inadvertently discovered how to get a new cooker from my wife without even asking for it.

My buddy got a new Yoder and of course I had smoker envy, so I started researching cookers and looking on Craig's List for Yoders and Klose and other good stuff I have no business getting. (Can't afford them and not really at that level yet).

Anyway, my wife becomes aware of my smoker envy and the fact that I'm looking into expensive smokers. Now, honestly, I was not looking seriously. We don't have money for that kind of good stuff, but it's fun to research and dream and see what's out there, right?

But as far as my wife knew, I was seriously considering dropping some coin on this stuff--and no, I wasn't trying to lie to her or bait her. She just knew what I was up to and I guess she got scared I was really going to pull the trigger.

Well . . . . As I was reading about different smokers, I stumbled upon the PBC and got pretty interested in hanging meat. She became aware of that interest and guess what showed up for Father's Day: a shiny new PBC!

So I think she wanted to make sure I didn't spend the money on something more expensive and decided to head it off with something I had shown interest in that cost a lot less. She's happy. I'm ecstatic!

And that's how I got my new cooker! So . . . . Maybe right before Christmas I'll try the same gambit. Maybe I can upgrade my gear again. Any suggestions as to the expensive "bait" cooker and the "settle for" cooker that costs less?

Last note: I think she's actually onto me, but she's happy to play along! She supports my new addiction/passion, to the extent we can afford it!

Ha! This is the only place I know of where a guy has to be careful his wife/girlfriend might catch him secretly looking at cookers on the internet. BTW Congratulations on the new PBC.

I had to replace my 10 year old weber gasser yesterday. So I had to get cash out of a secret account I have at the bank. I f I had charged it I would have been busted at the end of the month. My smoker and grills all look alike to her so Im golden once I sneak it in from the back of the truck and put it in place. Its a genesis 2 4 burner. Hope I get 10 years out of this one. Chinese now. Cant decide if im P whipped or just careful.

Good points. Took me 17 years of marriage to figure out how to do this. My wife is way smarter than me. Makes me wonder what she's putting over on me. Especially since she manages the checking account!

This is brilliant. Congrats on the new smoker, glad to read you're enjoying it. How about a pic or two next time you cook so we can see it in action?

This is embarrassing but I don't know how to post yet. I know there's some info on it, but haven't delved into it at this point. Fortunately, I've got 16 hours of CE coming so I'll have time to read during some boring lectures! I'll post when I've got it figured out. Thanks.

Congratulations on the PBC. I have one and they work very well. As far as buying grills/smokers, I don't ask, I just buy. We have separate bank accounts and don't tell each other what we can buy. I don't buy anything I can't afford or puts me in debt.

I can't believe I'm even writing this. Guys, we need to grow a pair and man up. If you look in your wife's closet, she has thousands and thousands of dollars in shoes, dresses, outfits, purses, etc. and I'm promising you she never once asked you if she could buy one of them. Not once! Yet you guys willingly give her veto power because you've been lead to believe that that is what you do. Who set that rule in concrete? Who said you suffer the death of a thousand cuts and she gets veto power? Does the dollar magnitude matter? Not one bit to your wife. She just says no and you suffer willingly every pair of shoes, a handbag here, an new outfit there.

Yeah, I know, all that crap was on sale and she saved 35% and it was something she really needed. Bull butter! She never asked you a single time and yet you become the most duplicitous SOB on the planet just to finally get something close to what you really want. Give me a break!

You really want to get a great cooker and shock the heck out of your wife? Start looking at a Komodo Kamado 42" Super Big Bad kamado. Those bad boys begin at something like $10,000 or so. She'll think $3K for a Yoder 640 is an absolute steal!

Of course, this advice is brought to you by a twice divorced white male who has been single for the past 22+ years! :-D. At this point in my life a long term relationship is a 3 day weekend! Use this advice at your own peril.

Just don't tell your wife you are the man of the house and if you want a new smoker you will get one I told my wife that and she said you might be the man of the house but I am the boss the only thing I could say was yes dear

I learned long ago with my first wife that if I asked if I could buy something, the answer was always "no" but it was okay for her to buy stuff without asking me. I then just said screw it and bought what I wanted within reason.

I have a good job and make pretty good money and I don't need a "mother" to tell me what I can or can not spend money on. I always pay bills first and save for retirement. My current fiancee doesn't say much for the most part about what I buy but when she tells me that I don't "need" something that I want to buy, I tell her that I don't tell her what she should or should not buy and to not tell me that either.

I won't ever get caught up again in asking for permission to buy something. I understand everyone's situation is different but this is how I do mine.

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
Alrighty then! I thought I was pretty clever making her think it was her idea, but you guys are inspiring. I think maybe I'll just go and tell her how it is . . . .

For big ticket items, I exercise patience and plan ahead with a full program of well timed grovelling. The intervals between grovelling allow me to think of ways to reinforce my point. The objective is to wear her down slowly and steadily. :-D

For something less than big ticket - sometimes it's better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission. :-D

Back