MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:51 PM   #31
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
Here's the tent stake hooks compared to one of my CRS hooks.
Those hooks are about perfect. Do you know what they're made from and how'd you bend them?

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2015, 04:30 AM   #32
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

I do not believe they are stainless, they may rust, but using them to cook and keeping them clean I think they will be fine. They are not galvanized. I just unbend/open the eyelet at the top to leave/make the top hook, then bend the second bend again using a vise, and rawhide hammer.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2015, 04:53 AM   #33
DouG M
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Well for me, the ribs, chuck roast and chops have turned out better than any other smoker/cooker I have owned or used...ever. I still have to experiment with the bird, as I've been doing birds mostly the same way for 30+ yrs and prefer the grate so far, but hanging I didn't not do the higher temp like I do on a grate( I was also doing ribs at the same time. So I will be trying the higher temps hanging.
Nice work on the hooks how long did you make the piece that hangs down from bar and the one that holds the food TK's
DouG M is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2015, 05:06 AM   #34
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Between 3 1/4 and 3 1/2 from the pointed tip. They worked great so I will be making more.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:16 AM   #35
snapper-G
Full Fledged Farker

I gotta try hanging some corn soon. Looks pretty cool!
snapper-G is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2015, 09:20 AM   #36
PaSmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Well for me, the ribs, chuck roast and chops have turned out better than any other smoker/cooker I have owned or used...ever. I still have to experiment with the bird, as I've been doing birds mostly the same way for 30+ yrs and prefer the grate so far, but hanging I didn't not do the higher temp like I do on a grate( I was also doing ribs at the same time. So I will be trying the higher temps hanging.
curious as to "shape/design" of your hooks as opposed to just an "S" hook?...method to your madness?
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Big Drum Smoker,Stainless Steel Gasser, Mini "UDS", Weber Jumbo Joe, [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ORANGE[/COLOR] Kamado Cadet, Weber OTS, Weber "Baby Q", Blackstone Pizza Oven, Blackstone Griddle, Turkey Fryer/"Low Country Boil Maker" [/FONT],[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Big Easy Oil-Less Turkey Fryer[/FONT], [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]various other nonsense devices[/FONT]
[LEFT][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Comic Sans MS]“I make it a rule never to smoke more than one cigar at a time.” Mark Twain [COLOR=red](Obviously doesn't apply to fatties)[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
PaSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2015, 09:24 AM   #37
Fwismoker

Quote:
Between 3 1/4 and 3 1/2 from the pointed tip. They worked great so I will be making more.
I'll probably make some but for now I'll have about 40 of the ones made from round rod because I gotta cook about 25 ears of corn and a bunch of chicken parts for a party.

So nice to just make some cheap because it would have broke the bank buying that many.

Walmart is where the stakes are from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper-G View Post
I gotta try hanging some corn soon. Looks pretty cool!
Yea it works great...I just leave the husk and hook towards the top. I'll foil the bottom if it's over flame but other than that it's just hook and hang. 350*-400* and done in about an hour.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:32 AM   #38
zanna5910
Full Fledged Farker

Hanging and Spinning Meat Appreciation Thread
Giggity. I wonder what the bounce rate is from organic google searches to this thread.

Everything looks awesome, those adapters you made eb look sweet. I take it you can accomplish this in a WSM by removing the water pan or do you guys leave a deflector in? Will have to research this some, as that food is looking grreeat!

Can't wait so see what kind of contraptions you guys have for spinning/rotation. Someone has to be first, who's it gonna be?
zanna5910 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-16-2015, 09:37 AM   #39
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
Walmart is where the stakes are from?
Yes in the tent isle, they don't show on their web site. There was a basket of about 100+ and somewhere around 47 to 53 cents ea. I grabbed a few to experiment, used em and they worked great. Went back to get a buch more, but they have been sold out for over a week now.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:43 AM   #40
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanna5910 View Post

Can't wait so see what kind of contraptions you guys have for spinning/rotation. Someone has to be first, who's it gonna be?
Hopefully in the next few months I'll be able to show the most versatile rotisserie tool I've used.

In the mean time i'll dig out some pics of some pretty cool rotisserie cooks with some products that are on the market now. Rotisserie makes some great food.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:43 AM   #41
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanna5910 View Post
Giggity. I wonder what the bounce rate is from organic google searches to this thread. Everything looks awesome, those adapters you made eb look sweet. I take it you can accomplish this in a WSM by removing the water pan or do you guys leave a deflector in? Will have to research this some, as that food is looking grreeat! Can't wait so see what kind of contraptions you guys have for spinning/rotation. Someone has to be first, who's it gonna be?
Thanks
Keith has been rotating/spinning meat for awhile and using pure wood. I'm working on an idea for a round rotating fixture that I can mount on my UDS's and give maximum capasity in a rotating grate. But when I get a chance, I am going to fab up a hanging grate for my mini. I need that first, besides some time.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:26 AM   #42
Fwismoker

I didn't catch any pics of it spinning but this is one nice thing about spinning in a roti basket. This is a recent tri tip cook, just stop the rotation and sear on both sides, it was over a fire so when the temp got good and hot over 400* i stopped the spin.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:51 AM   #43
dadsr4

Quote:
Yes in the tent isle, they don't show on their web site. There was a basket of about 100+ and somewhere around 47 to 53 cents ea. I grabbed a few to experiment, used em and they worked great. Went back to get a buch more, but they have been sold out for over a week now.
Every Army-Navy surplus store I've ever been in had bins full of stakes like that. Or sporting goods stores might be a good place to look.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:52 AM   #44
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaSmoker View Post
curious as to "shape/design" of your hooks as opposed to just an "S" hook?...method to your madness?
Depending on how much and the size of what you are hanging, you might not have the room for a typical S hook. Most of mine are off set, one to keep the next piece of meat from touching the other piece leaving room for heat etc to get on all sides if that makes sense. Most just depends on how much , the thickness of each piece etc.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:58 AM   #45
PaSmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Depending on how much and the size of what you are hanging, you might not have the room for a typical S hook. Most of mine are off set, one to keep the next piece of meat from touching the other piece leaving room for heat etc to get on all sides if that makes sense. Most just depends on how much , the thickness of each piece etc.
makes perfect sense...thanks!
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Big Drum Smoker,Stainless Steel Gasser, Mini "UDS", Weber Jumbo Joe, [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ORANGE[/COLOR] Kamado Cadet, Weber OTS, Weber "Baby Q", Blackstone Pizza Oven, Blackstone Griddle, Turkey Fryer/"Low Country Boil Maker" [/FONT],[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Big Easy Oil-Less Turkey Fryer[/FONT], [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]various other nonsense devices[/FONT]
[LEFT][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Comic Sans MS]“I make it a rule never to smoke more than one cigar at a time.” Mark Twain [COLOR=red](Obviously doesn't apply to fatties)[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
PaSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire pits, hanging without horseshoes, meat hanging, non PBC, PBC, rotisserie, spinning