“Sell By” Sunday Dinner

Looks great so far!

Thought of you on my urban hike. I walk by a pond that is loaded with catfish by TPWD. Watched a couple catch nine cats in like 15 minutes. These were just guessing 18-20 inch. Perfect size.

I may have to try it. I’ve not skinned a cat in a long time. And I am wanting to make “salmon “ patty’s using smoked/grilled/blackened catfish.

11:20 which means it’s past noon East Coast.

Cheers
Shiner Family Reunion, You’re Up

Oh nice. We call that the "scratch and dent meat." Great place for awesome buys, as long as you have time to cook it right away.

You're off to a great start!

That’s hilarious. I’m stealing it.

Amen!!

Last edited:
Oh nice. We call that the "scratch and dent meat." Great place for awesome buys, as long as you have time to cook it right away.

You're off to a great start!
For me , it's always been, "grab "Joy of Cooking", and figure out how to cook what I've found".
I've learned some good things that way!

Bargain bin meat from Kroger's marked down meat, and Joy of Cooking, have taught me more about cooking over live fire than this site.:becky:

Bargain bin meat from Kroger's marked down meat, and Joy of Cooking, have taught me more about cooking over live fire than this site.:becky:

I’ve found bargain meat and premium beer pair well.

I find the whole concept of "aged beef" quite amusing, don't you?:becky:

I have a very nice, well marbled, beef steak waiting for me to sign off, I think it cost me around $1.50 a pound. The meat department employee even tried to talk me out of it, since it was "Three Days Old"!

Just to impress upon the point we wish to pass on, I browse Kroger's marked down meat section AFTER I've chosen beer.

I figure that every minute makes it better.

Preach!

Dent and Bent, Rub and grub! Ain't nothing a gallon of gas and a road flare can't fix! I meant Carne Crosta! One too many lines of that stuff straight off the counter!:-D

The thing is, the marked down beef frequently looks better than what's at normal price, anyways.

Take it to 165 degrees for a while, slice it thin, at the very worst you have excellent sandwich meat.

Think of what you would like to experiment with?

IT"S MARKED DOWN.

ON SALE!
Basically, you haven't a clue what to do with it, anyways, so you are free!

Sell by bin? Wow. If only we had such a thing in these parts.
Browse your meat counter and find stuff that has today's date, then talk to the meat manager. If they don't mark meat down, it goes into the dumpster. It's worked for me!

Back