Perfect Prime Rib (must read)

PatioDaddio

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Tis prime rib season, so I offer this great article from the good folks over at Serious Eats. The article focuses on oven roasting, but it's eminently applicable to barbecue.

The one downside of this process is that it assumes that everyone eating the prime rib likes theirs medium-rare. I do, but often there are a few folks who like it more done. The traditional roasting method yields end cuts that are more done. Of course, you could always cook individual slices in the oven after carving to satisfy those leather lovers, but that's a pain.

John

Excellent! Sounds like I'll be taking mine to 120 in the WSM, then searing on the kettle to finish after the rest.

The one downside of this process is that it assumes that everyone eating the prime rib likes theirs medium-rare. I do, but often there are a few folks who like it more done. The traditional roasting method yields end cuts that are more done. Of course, you could always cook individual slices in the oven after carving to satisfy those leather lovers, but that's a pain.

John

I always cook my prime rib to medium rare and for those guests that want theirs done a bit more I have a pot of Au Jus simmering which I dip their slice into for a minute or more, works great.

I always cook my prime rib to medium rare and for those guests that want theirs done a bit more I have a pot of Au Jus simmering which I dip their slice into for a minute or more, works great.
That certainly works, but you lose that crust.

John

John, Great article and I'll be doing a rib roast on Christmas trying this method. I'll report back on how my results compare.

One thing I do want to mention though, I've found the easiest way to "bring up" a cut of PR past the carved state is to put a slice direcly into the hot au jus. Those who want it past the MR/M stage don't really care for the redness anyway.

Tis prime rib season, so I offer this great article from the good folks over at Serious Eats. The article focuses on oven roasting, but it's eminently applicable to barbecue.

John

Excellent article! The actual recipe (click link in article) specifies different internal temps for medium rare & medium. I copied the recipe into MS Word for whoever wants it...

View attachment Perfect Prime Rib.doc

For years I have been smoking raw pork chops & steaks, and then searing them after smoking. I started doing this...

1. To try as an experiment.
  2. To be different than everyone else.
  3. To put some smoke flavor in the meat while the potatoes were baking in the firebox (I've got wood burning anyway, might as well use some of it for the meat).
I continue to do this because I love the results.
Read the entire article. This guy tested several methods on several prime rib roasts. His best result (sort of scientifically) supports what I've been doing to my chops & steaks all these years.

The Plan: I'll slow-cook my roast, using the UDS in 'smoker mode' until I hit 120 degrees. Then, I'll foil it, meanwhile moving my fire basket up to the direct grilling position, and allowing the coals to fully ignite. I'll then have a hot fire for my final sear. Brilliant! Another good reason to have an upper position for the fire basket. Now I can't wait for Christmas Day- to fire up the UDS!

Cool! Doing one tomorrow evening, this is a big help. Oh, by the way, we do have some non-Beef eaters coming tomorrow as well, they will be getting General's Chicken as a substitute, your recipe. Thanks again, John.

...one of the great "secrets" of restaruants that serve PR, evey slice gets at least a dip into the pool, adds that moisture & salty beefy flavor (and usually a nice dose of MSG) that people expect when they order a slab-o-prime rib.

Works great for reheating them brisket leftovers too! :grin:

Has anyone ever tried the "entombed in rock salt" technique? I've never been brave enough to try it with such an expensive cut.
This article has me wondering if a 30 min salt cure would lock in most of the juices... it works for my grilled salmon, darker color, and zero weeping of juices. when I cut into it, juice litteraly runs out of it... wonder if beef would react the same?

Last edited:
Givin' this a shot tonite - wife surprised me with a 5.5 lb Costco "Prime" prime rib bone-in.

Kosher salt, Coarse ground pepper, a little Montreal, and just a touch of Lawrey's seasoned salt (ALA DrBBQ). BGE indirect in a roasting pan on a trivet, some hickory for flavor. Oh yeah, fresh horseradish from a local producer:biggrin:.

Late start, so a bit late -we'll drink some Sterling in the meantime.

Fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

Tis prime rib season, so I offer this great article
Thank you for sharing this. That is an excellent presentation of information. What I need, however, is how to cook my rib roast just like that but also have well-done pieces for my in-laws. Sigh . . . I can never win when I cook for them; either they are unhappy or I am.

Thanks again.

Back