• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Are these firestarters "safe" for a ceramic grill?

hedonsmbot

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
maxresdefault.jpg

After hearing that briquettes shouldn't be used due to additives, these plastic things got me worried.

Not sure never seen those.
In my green egg I do not like to use fire starters with any kind of chemical that can pernitrate the cooker with toxic or risk it leaching out during the cooking process to give the food an odd taste.

I use a paper towel drizzles with vegetable oil and then roll it up like a wick.
Or Ill use a butane torch like a plumber would use for soldering coper lines together.

bernzomatic-torches-tanks-wpk2301-64_1000.jpg

I've used similar firestarters to light briqs in my kamado and did not suffer any ill effects. Mine was old and gunked up at the time though. Don't know if it would hurt a new grill.

Not sure never seen those.
In my green egg I do not like to use fire starters with any kind of chemical that can pernitrate the cooker with toxic or risk it leaching out during the cooking process to give the food an odd taste.

I use a paper towel drizzles with vegetable oil and then roll it up like a wick.
Or Ill use a butane torch like a plumber would use for soldering coper lines together.

bernzomatic-torches-tanks-wpk2301-64_1000.jpg

I've been using my propane torch for 12 years now. There's nothing easier and lord help the stray wasp that makes its way onto my porch.

Oh, and the camping propane bottle have a wider base and are less likely to get knocked over.

I have a propane torch but find it tedious to use at the downward angle required. I now use it in the kitchen for crème brule and ghetto grill cheese.

The torch works very well. It focuses heat to lite a small area. For low temp cooks, I start with one small lit area and find temps very controllable from there.

Back