Building first smoker

Q-Strong

Reaction score
Hey all,

First time posting on this forum, but have been reading and following for quite some time. Little back story, live in east TN, was a chef for a decade(fine dining), got out to have a family and for better work life balance. But I still love to cook, so I want to get into selling some BBQ, and maybe some catering if all goes well.

Been looking at building a smoker with a friend that is a welder. Have looked at a lot of smoker brands shirley, outlaw, Jambo, lone star, traditional and reverse flow styles. Still not sure on that part yet. I do know I want a warmer, as I see myself using that a lot. I really like how lone star warmer is with the removable plate.

I like traditional flow because of the better air flow and draw vs a reverse flow. But then again I like the reverse flow because of the more stable temps and less hot spots. But like any grill or cooker, you just need to learn and adapt to it.

Looking to build something around 24x60" smoker, insulated fire box except for the top since I will want a warmer on top. 6-8" Exhaust at grate level.

I am open for insight, and knowledge for my first build.

Sounds like you have a pretty good starting plan. Cabinet door style really seems to increase usable space. I think the warmer is a good idea

I built a similar size. Traditional 24”x 54” with 24” x 24” firebox. No tuning plates, exhaust in middle of cook chamber. Super even temps from left to right. Love it. I did a 5” exhaust and it flows great. Only thing I’d do different is make 2 doors instead of 1. Even with a hefty counter weight the door is pretty heavy.

What I really been trying to figure out is, if I do reverse flow and have a warmer like Lone star. Where the most optimal place to put the smoke stack...

Another question I have is. I got a 120 gallon propane tank. Do I need to put it on a trailer or could I do something like off road wheels to move it around. Like LSG off road package

Can’t answer your question on reverse flow. I’ll get ridiculed to hell for this but I dont like any of the reverse flows I’ve built. I prefer to cook with all smoked induction heat instead of radiant heat. Though my cooker does take 25%ish longer to cook food.

For the wheels. The best thing about building your own smoker is you can do whatever the hell you want. I keep adding accessories (foil holder, tong hook, hook for spritzer bottle etc) and don’t ever feel bad welding and grinding on an expensive store bought smoker. I built mine with no wheels and then added some wheels off and old grocery cart that I can remove whenever I want. Mine won’t roll around the yard because the wheels are too small but rolls super easy on my patio. With bigger wheels it would have no issues rolling around the yard. It probably weighs close to 900-1000 pounds.

You might want to ck and see what the health department will allow before you spend any money,

Thanks busmania, ya I have decided to go with traditional on my first build.

I’ve always built my smokers with 2-3 times what feldon says for the opening. I’ve always thought it seemed small on that calculator but I’ve never built one exactly as Feldon feldon calls for. I usually build what feels right and use feldon as a guide. I put my 24” round firebox 1” below the center line. I’ll see if I can’t find some photos of mine. I am a little concerned with your chimney. 8” seems huge to me but I’m not an expert enough to say what going that big does to the flow, good or bad. Id be concerned it will flow too well. My 5” stack flows almost too much I usually choke it down about 25%. I’ve built 5 but I am far from an expert so take anything I say with a grain of salt! But I have to say, the thing I think makes the most difference is putting the chimney at grate level. Nice and even temps across the cooking grate.

Ya I’ll probably dial it down to 6” and it will definitely be at grate level.
Nice rig, what are the dimensions on the cook chamber? Or size tank? 120 gallon?

Ya I’ll probably dial it down to 6” and it will definitely be at grate level.
Nice rig, what are the dimensions on the cook chamber? Or size tank? 120 gallon?

I think it was 24” x 54”. Firebox 24 x 24. I had the barrels rolled from a machine shop which I would not do again. The reality is the firebox side 15- 20% of the cooking grate is unusable (except for stuff like chicken) as the smoke exits right there and creates a hot spot and is more of a direct heat (but it’s even the rest of the way) so I wish I had gone to a full 60”. It’s a beast and can cook a lot of food.

I actually built this to perhaps sell as a “kit” And had all parts professionally made. The welding needs work though! I never did pursue selling kits as without a machine shop, it’s a pain in the ass to move that stuff around!

I also need to go back and make the firebox end door open from the other side. I didn’t think that one through and it’s awkward. I’ve also added all kinds of accessories like I mentioned above since I finished it.

Gotcha, ya I scored a 120gal tank 24x68 for 100 bucks. Worried it might be too small but can’t go too big on my first build. Gotta leave room to grow

Welcome to the forum and yes a warmer is a great add. I really like mine on my LSG, however I wish it had an external damper control for the warmer like the Shirley's have. There are times my warmer is loaded up and I don't want to remove food from the bottom shelf to adjust the damper vents.

So the thing I do not like about the LSG warmer when its on cook chamber side is it changes how the smoker draws/air flow, as I plan to put chimney at grate level. If I do a "warmer" ill put it above the firebox and just have like a 1/2" removable plate w/ dampers. But also doing it this way when using the warmer along with main chamber for extra cooking space, it will change the draw mechanics too.

I may be over thinking it but, I feel at a rock and a hard place when deciding to do a warmer and where to put it.

I am set on an insulated 1/4" fire box with 2" insulation, I live in east TN, our winters can get bad but I also have a kid. Propane tank is 24x65.

Any insite on where to put warmer, and why be much appreciated.

Saw video from Baby back maniac LSG warmer, and I like the idea of hanging some chickens and cooking above the fire box like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuFC6mM6BbI

Back