MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:23 PM   #1
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jonathan
Default In Alaska - King Crab, Prime Rib, Jumbo Prawns, Deep Fried Halibut....ALL IN ONE MEAL!!!

Dudes. Fairbanks, Alaska. Turtle Club Restaurant. Back home visiting my family in my old stomping grounds. This iconic joint is pumping out some of the best eats in the state. If you ever get up here, you gotta try it! Plenty of pics and vid for your weekend eye feasting!!

Oh, and on top of the four meats listed, I threw in a mouthful of bacon bits on the way out the door just to say I'd had all those things......plus bacon......in the same meal :) Humorously, even the bacon bits were incredible! Legit smoked bacon, soft and crumbly. What a night!

Video (with some beautiful Alaskan scenery from the Tanana Valley too!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAHLCJ7fsCA

I included a shot of their menu since some of you were asking about prices in Alaska in another thread. I'll update that thread as well. Market price on the crab leg dinner was $67.95.

Last edited by AKMIMNAK; 05-11-2019 at 02:52 PM..
AKMIMNAK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2018, 07:52 PM   #2
ulc
is one Smokin' Farker

It's disappointing even in Alaska they don't cook and serve live whole king crab and only serve frozen legs.
ulc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2018, 08:56 PM   #3
work2play2
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Sweet baby

Man, looks very good. I wanna go therr
work2play2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2018, 09:02 PM   #4
Sillius Sodus
On the road to being a farker

Looks like an awesome meal! It is surprising that Alaska doesn’t price its crab legs like Maine prices its lobster...?

The cracked windshield in the car is crazy....

Old 07-14-2018, 09:10 PM   #5
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillius Sodus View Post
Looks like an awesome meal! It is surprising that Alaska doesn’t price its crab legs like Maine prices its lobster...?

The cracked windshield in the car is crazy....
I guess I'm missing something. The crab price was Market which was the same as lobster in Maine. Now market price in the local market was far different than in the lower 48 (Maine - the deep south of the far north).

The "odd" thing for me was every time I've been in Alaska I've heard the only crab thats caught/served locally is the Dungeness. The other species are caught locally, sent out of state for processing then sent back in for sale. Not sure how true that is.
Baychilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2018, 09:18 PM   #6
Sillius Sodus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baychilla View Post
I guess I'm missing something. The crab price was Market which was the same as lobster in Maine. Now market price in the local market was far different than in the lower 48 (Maine - the deep south of the far north).
For sure local pricing in Maine is “market price” but unless you’re in the tourist traps of Maine, “market price” for lobster is nowhere near the price of those crab legs. We were just up in Maine in April and didn’t pay anything close to that price for lobster. Back here in VA, those market prices are closer to reality.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:37 PM   #7
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillius Sodus View Post
For sure local pricing in Maine is “market price” but unless you’re in the tourist traps of Maine, “market price” for lobster is nowhere near the price of those crab legs. We were just up in Maine in April and didn’t pay anything close to that price for lobster. Back here in VA, those market prices are closer to reality.
Makes me think the locals weren't pulling my leg when they said the only crab that stayed in state was Dungeness. That would explain the high price for the "local" catch.

Alaskan crab with some Alaskan Amber with some Alaskan sourdough. Yum.
Baychilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2018, 08:25 AM   #8
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

YUM I would love to be there for that meal Alaska is my dream vacation
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2018, 08:31 AM   #9
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

What George said! That looks and sounds fantastic!

Old 07-15-2018, 08:37 AM   #10
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

You should go, George. We were there last year about this time. amazing weather, scenery and wildlife beyond expectations. The vistas we had of the tundra in Denali park will stay with me a lifetime - like walking into an issue of National geographic. The weather was clear so we saw Mt Denali in full half a dozen times, which is rare I hear.

Old 07-15-2018, 01:55 PM   #11
Pug-N-Monk's BBQ

Name/Nickname : Brett

Wish I would have known about this place when I spent a couple weeks at Eilson a few years back.

Shirley Fabrication 24x50 Modified Trailer, Yoder YS640 Comp Cart.
Pug-N-Monk's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2018, 06:44 PM   #12
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

Envious! Way to make the best of a great opportunity!

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2018, 06:58 PM   #13
Smoke on Badger Mountain
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Josh

Looks awesome.

24"x52" Custom Offset, Black 22" Weber Kettle , Deep Ocean Blue 22' Weber Kettle, Camp Chef 2 burner w/ griddle. Char-Broil Table Top gas Grill, One very ugly drum, Nice drum coming soon.
Instagram @lumberjacksmokestack
https://www.youtube.com/c/LumberjackSmokestack
Smoke on Badger Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2018, 07:00 PM   #14
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Ooooh, yeeeeaaahh! Looks delicious

Old 07-22-2018, 10:27 PM   #15
Sean-in-AK
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Sean

I live in Juneau, I don’t know about the king crab in the grocery stores, but the two fish processors here only sell fresh crab. Live crab can be had if you go walk the docks and find the right boats. Usually we just go catch our own. But alas Fairbanks is a long way from salt water.

Looks like a great meal though
Sean-in-AK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deep fried halibut, halibut, jumbo prawns, king crab, prime rib, turtle club restaurant