MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:31 PM   #1
Montana Jack
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Jack
Default Brisket help - a little dry?

Last couple flats on Shirley have great flavor and tender, but not as moist as I'd like. Injecting before cooking at 275, wrapping in butcher paper at 175, and pulling and resting at 200+. Water pan in smoker and spritzing after 3 hours. Any thoughts on how to make jucier?
Montana Jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2018, 10:41 PM   #2
aerotech11
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ric

How was it probing when you pulled it? Temps for reference I usually pull it when it probes like butter regardless of the final temp.
Highly modified Brinkmann smoke n pit pro POS horizontal stick burner
PGS K40 Gasser
[COLOR="Blue"]Pit Boss 24” Kamado [/COLOR]
Cajun bandit rotisserie 22.5”
S/S vortex
Kettle pizza oven[/B]
aerotech11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2018, 10:45 PM   #3
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

^^^ disregard temp, kinda.

Whenever I cook briskets at 275* as the median temp on my stick burner, they generally probe tender in the thickest part of the flat around 210*, sometimes more. I use my ThermoWorks thermometer as the probe, which is why I know the finish temp, but I stopped giving the temp any consideration when I pull. If I had to guess you're undercooked.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:55 PM   #4
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

possibly cook it a lil Longer and/or buy better briskets.......how long did you rest it?

Old 06-03-2018, 11:10 PM   #5
Montana Jack
Knows what a fatty is.

Will cook try cooking longer, briskets were Costco prime. Thanks for the help

Old 06-04-2018, 02:50 AM   #6
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

Maybe wrap sooner (160 or so).

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-04-2018, 04:00 AM   #7
Tatanka
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

As has been said above, it's not time and temp, it's how the meat feels when probed. We don't know how lean that flat was when you got it or when you put it in the smoker, in other words how much fat there was to render off to flavor and keep the meat juicy. The flats I've seen have been pretty lean, so I'd wrap it tight in heavy duty, wide aluminum foil instead of butcher paper to trap in whatever melting fat there is, the collagen as it breaks down, and the remaining moisture in the meat. If I wanted to smoke only a flat, like maybe because my smoker space can't handle a whole packer brisket, I'd still by the packer and separate the flat from the point myself so I could control the amount of fat left on the flat by how I trimmed it.

Kevin
22.5" Weber Kettle & 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain
Tatanka is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-04-2018, 05:54 AM   #8
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

With BP I wrap fat cap up. This has the flat sitting in juices. I think it helps a little. Seeing that you wrap at 175 your bark should be set enough to hold up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-05-2018, 09:56 PM   #9
Demosthenes9
is Blowin Smoke!

Did your slices crumble ? Or were they kind of tough to pull apart ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzseH_Wiha4
Demosthenes9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2018, 10:05 PM   #10
CentralOhioBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Try wrapping earlier, 160ish. Forget the spritzer. Take the thick of the flat to 208-212 range and probe for feel.

You undercooked your brisket (unless it fell apart when you were slicing).
CentralOhioBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2018, 10:28 PM   #11
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Jack View Post
Last couple flats on Shirley have great flavor and tender, but not as moist as I'd like. Injecting before cooking at 275, wrapping in butcher paper at 175, and pulling and resting at 200+. Water pan in smoker and spritzing after 3 hours. Any thoughts on how to make jucier?
at 175 it had probably already exited the stall and lost a lot of moisture.

try wrapping at 140-145 and ill bet it wont come out dry.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:26 AM   #12
Montana Jack
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks all, will try wrapping earlier and pay more attention to feel, maybe pulling at higher temp.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:03 AM   #13
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Jack View Post
Thanks all, will try wrapping earlier and pay more attention to feel, maybe pulling at higher temp.
This is not a path to success.

There is no need to wrap at all, and wrapping earlier isn’t going to magically cure the problem. You can dry out brisket wrapped in foil or even submerged in liquid. That is why injecting isn’t helping you either. If you want to inject for flavor, go ahead, but don’t expect injecting or wrapping to keep the meat fibers juicy. You were heading in the right direction with paying more attention to feel, but pulling at a higher temp, or any temp target, is a not going to help.

Try this. Start the cook hotter, 275-300 for full packers. Get to the 175-180 range like you did, and then wrap (or not, but it may help to keep the variables to a minimum until you figure it out). Now lower the smoker temp to 225-250 ish and let the connective tissues break down without over heating and drying the meat. Forget pulling temp. You pull based on feel only. Then give it a good long rest in a cooler or holding oven. It will continue to tenderize. If anything, a longer cook/hold with a lower max internal temperature will give you a juicier product than rushing it and pulling at higher temps.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:57 AM   #14
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

M-fine... Stop giving away ninja's brisket secrets.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2018, 07:27 AM   #15
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

I will guarantee that op uses the method m-fine suggested and the brisket comes out even worse.

Imho

Here is a video that has tested it
https://youtu.be/DK2ugDR-G2I

Last edited by el luchador; 06-06-2018 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: Added vid
el luchador is offline   Reply With Quote